What is your go-to home defense weapon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you choose for home defense?

• Total voters

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    SFW jhal. SFW. It’s amazing how you can pick one little aspect of what someone says, force it through the square hole like pladough and attempt to continue the argument.
    I was commenting on the history of the M16 and the reason the bullets tumble. I know bullet stabilization doesn’t matter at short distances. Did you mean bullet stabilization instead of twist rate? You guys need Jesus

You mentioned shooting at 5-30 feet.

I was unaware the history of the M16 was relevant to choosing a home defense weapon.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Were you aware that I was commenting on Bangswitch’s statement about the M16?
    Never mind.

I didn’t realize this open discussion was a closed conversation between you and your friend.

I’d like it to get back on topic. You’ve answered my questions and given me more than I’ve asked for.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    ~yawn~
    You win jhal. I declare you the winner. Night all.

1ca0976614c7bab52819feb8e0c7c7bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Decades of ballistics studies, gel testing, and real world performance disagree with your assertion.

Deer are not a good comparison to human anatomy. Strangely, pigs are close. Shooting a swine with a 556 duty round is rather interesting. Inspecting the cavity is eye opening.

Banking on instantly incapacitating an aggressor is a rather low probability regardless of a chosen caliber. If you can cut the cord and turn off the lights with a single shot, caliber is irrelevant. Stacking the odds in your favor is desirable.

- - - Updated - - -

Twist rate is not very important at such short distances.

You are missing my point a rifle wound is not what you seem to think it is. Yes the muscle tissue turns to goo, but it can also pass right through. There is also the major factor of the impact.

You seem to think I’m interested in cutting down a rifles ability. I like rifles. I have a few. I use them more than shotguns or handguns. My preferred defensive weapon for things that bump in the night is the gun I carry every day not because it’s the biggest or baddest. No because it’s a one shot drop. Not because it chucks 1.125oz of lead. No, because it’s a good compromise that allows me to retain my hearing, that I’m quite comfortable with, and I can operate it with one hand.

I was simply pointing out to you that a 12ga full of buck shot can do significant damage, probably more than a 5.56 inside 30 feet.

But hey it’s ok you can use your 5.56 in your house I’m not gonna be offended.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    First shot.
    If I can stop him before he can fire a round with my first shot. As I said before, just because you hit the bad guy first does not mean he can’t shoot back, and why would you assume I only plan to shoot once anyway?
    I’m comfortable with my belief that said first shot coming from a 12ga is a safe bet for accomplishing that. I’m not closed minded. I’m comfortable with what I believe and I still don’t see an argument that trumps what I believe. It seems to be you and jhal that are uncomfortable with my belief. I don’t care about that. Most of all, I’m comfortable with my ability to handle a shotgun in my home.
    Assumption is what I’m mostly seeing at the moment. Assumptions that I don’t have 40 years experience shooting a shotgun. Assumption that I have no training. Assumption that I can’t control the recoil of a 12ga or that I can’t hit my target. Assumption that I live in a cramped box. Assumption that I wouldn’t use any other of the weapons available to me if I was in tighter quarters or having to move about my home (did you read my first post?). So go ahead and try to change my mind and I’ll just keep wondering why.
    What training have you had with a shotgun in close quarters in the past 5 years?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    What training have you had with a shotgun in close quarters in the past 5 years?
    Oh, challenge?
    Oh, pissing contest? I see now, good move bro, but a complete waste here.
    Past 5 years? Just my own drills and regular shooting at my own range or occasionally my father’s. I realize people can get rusty but I didn’t realize there’s a shelf life on training. Ya know what? I see where this is going so I’ll shut it down now. You still seem to think there’s some mission here. There’s not and your wasting time and bandwidth.
    You quoted and highlighted parts of my post and then decided first shot means one single shot? I guess you still haven’t read my first post where I basically said how I keep all three types of firearms on hand in my home. And you want me to continue? Why is it so important to you? Anything to argue, huh.

Hey. Don’t use a shotgun for home defense bro. Nobody is advising you to. Nothing in my posts is advising you to.
    Why don’t you just chalk the whole thing up to PERSONAL CHOICE. Just let it go. You’re struggling when there’s no fight. You have nothing to offer me, but thanks.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You are missing my point a rifle wound is not what you seem to think it is. Yes the muscle tissue turns to goo, but it can also pass right through. There is also the major factor of the impact.

You seem to think I’m interested in cutting down a rifles ability. I like rifles. I have a few. I use them more than shotguns or handguns. My preferred defensive weapon for things that bump in the night is the gun I carry every day not because it’s the biggest or baddest. No because it’s a one shot drop. Not because it chucks 1.125oz of lead. No, because it’s a good compromise that allows me to retain my hearing, that I’m quite comfortable with, and I can operate it with one hand.

I was simply pointing out to you that a 12ga full of buck shot can do significant damage, probably more than a 5.56 inside 30 feet.

But hey it’s ok you can use your 5.56 in your house I’m not gonna be offended.

When is the last time you patterned at shotgun at a closer distances?

Shotguns, pistols, and rifles will all produce noise levels well beyond what is deemed safe, especially indoors. Rifles and pistols can be suppressed. Shotguns can also be suppressed, but the OAL is increased greatly.

You claim:

Yet you are relying heavily on hit probability.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Shotguns, pistols, and rifles will all produce noise levels well beyond what is deemed safe, especially indoors. Rifles and pistols can be suppressed. Shotguns can also be suppressed, but the OAL is increased greatly.

You claim:

I don’t disagree with anything said it’s the unsaid that concerns me.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Oh, challenge?
    Past 5 years? Just my own drills and regular shooting at my own range or occasionally my father’s. I realize people can get rusty but I didn’t realize there’s a shelf life on training. Ya know what? I see where this is going so I’ll shut it down now. You still seem to think there’s some mission here. There’s not and your wasting time and bandwidth.
    You quoted and highlighted parts of my post and then decided first shot means one single shot? I guess you still haven’t read my first post where I basically said how I keep all three types of firearms on hand in my home. And you want me to continue? Why is it so important to you? Anything to argue, huh.

Hey. Don’t use a shotgun for home defense bro. Nobody is advising you to. Nothing in my posts is advising you to.
    Why don’t you just chalk the whole thing up to PERSONAL CHOICE. Just let it go. You’re struggling when there’s no fight. You have nothing to offer me, but thanks.

First shot would one single shot. It's a common for people to see the singular version of a word and think single. If it were more than one single shot, it would be "first shots" or "first shot and second shot." In the preceding sentence, you referred to "the hit." Again, singular. The post appears to be referring to the notion of one shot ending the fight so the perp doesn't have a chance to return fire.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Nope if it was left unsaid you never said it.

Unsaid is the past tense of unsay which means to retract. In the context of how you used the word, you made it sound as if there was something retracted. If by unsaid, you mean the same context as the phrase "some things are better left unsaid," then I'd like to know how you're concerned with something someone didn't say. It's as if you're upset that someone isn't agreeing with you by not saying what you want them to say.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Pistol would be first choice because it would be the weapons I would have close at hand.
    Rifle second choice (AR in 300blk), but the weapon I would rather have in hand.
    Shotgun would be last due to mine all being hunting style (Long).

I hope and pray none of us will ever need our home defense weapons, but that all of us have them in case we do.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Oh, challenge?

I don't really care what you do, but I do find it interesting in how you make your choices, that's all. Also, you chose to make an account on a public board and state your opinions. I'm just challenging you to back them up. I might learn something from you, though that is seeming to be not the case right now. You aren't even obligated to respond to me. Don't take it personally - I am disagreeing with your preconceived notions and assertions of fact, not with you as a person.

There is absolutely a shelf life on training. There is an old saying that practice makes perfect, but that is not true. Practicing something wrong may make one an expert at doing something the wrong way. Perfect practice makes perfect is the correct phrase.

In your case, it seems like you're set on justifying every way that has led you into your current setup, but not considering the others. Maybe you have done so and just haven't made it clear. Regardless, you should go try some real, formal training with a shotgun in close quarters.

Have you ever taken a force on force class where people are shooting back at you?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Pistol would be first choice because it would be the weapons I would have close at hand.
    Rifle second choice (AR in 300blk), but the weapon I would rather have in hand.
    Shotgun would be last due to mine all being hunting style (Long).

I hope and pray none of us will ever need our home defense weapons, but that all of us have them in case we do.

Amen brother.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

This statement is intended to create bias as if I need to pattern a 12ga at 5 and 10 feet to know its barely leaving the wading

This statement biases against a shotgun based on the forgone conclusion that everyone can and is willing to own a suppressor. Additionally the db's produced by a suppressed rifle with supersonic ammo can still cause short term hearing loss, because not all cans are created equally. Most handguns will only cause short term hearing loss. People like me who suffer from tinnitus cringe at the possibility if firing anything indoors. Personally I don't own a can and I dang sure aint cutting loose a 5.56 round indoors.

You claim:

You say hit probability is important for a shotgun. I'm here to tell you brother its important regardless your choice. I remind you inside 30 feet with a full choke, a shotgun is not a scatter gun. Even at 50 feet and a modified choke (basically a straight bore) groups tighter than most men are wide.

Unsaid is the past tense of unsay which means to retract. In the context of how you used the word, you made it sound as if there was something retracted. If by unsaid, you mean the same context as the phrase "some things are better left unsaid," then I'd like to know how you're concerned with something someone didn't say. It's as if you're upset that someone isn't agreeing with you by not saying what you want them to say.

You entered the conversation with a lot of biases (that seems to be your thing) that is preventing you from seeing that a properly set up shotgun isn't a "fud gun". I don't personally have a properly set up shotgun nor do I own a suppressor to make firing a 5.56 indoors a remote possibility.

Additionally, you like to use semantics and take things out of context in effort to annoy and irritate your opponent. This is a crutch. As an opponent I would say carry on, no need to improve you skill set, but as a fellow gun enthusiast I urge you to work harder because, I would really hate for you to be arguing with the rare intelligent lefty and lose because you skills never matured.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom