What is your go-to home defense weapon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you choose for home defense?

• Total voters

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Dude I'm a millennial just on the early end of the spectrum.

Sorry. I had to step away for a bit. It seems they don't like to pay me unless I work. Just so I'm not jumping to conclusions, what spectrum are you on?

You're confusing me with Perez.

I believe I was the one that pointed out the absurdity of the phrase.

I'm pretty sure you were the object of my interest. I trolled more than just you, but you posted something that made me respond with "I don't know if that makes me want to troll more or less." Then low and behold a devilish idea came to mind and I was off to the races with it.

FORUM RULES
    Rule 1: No rudeness or personal attacks
    While we appreciate passionate and informed discussion we will not allow rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, purposeless inflammatory posts, or trolling. If you do not like a thread or do not have anything positive to say, do not post anything at all.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I’m rather surprised at the lack of shotgun votes. I figured more people would have modern shotguns in 2019 for home defense, even with the popularity of the AR-15 and carry pistols.

130120181031.PNG

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Shotguns,rifles, and handguns are all legitimate choices for home defense. I’ve seen people die and survive after being shot with all of the above. Most of the people I have talked to who have actually shot another human say they never heard the gunshot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’m rather surprised at the lack of shotgun votes. I figured more people would have modern shotguns in 2019 for home defense, even with the popularity of the AR-15 and carry pistols.

I've considered a shotgun but I prefer something shorter. I've done some house clearing training with an M16. I don't care for it. I've considered getting something like an 870 20 gauge Tac-14 12 gauge (Remington > Mossberg) but having shot a pistol grip stockless 12 gauge before, I decided against it. Given the distance of the shot, I believe a 20 guage would work well. I've given some not so serious thought to a 20 gauge Tac-14.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Kinda the same, never shot anybody... but everytime I shoot a deer I typically don’t hear it... now sighting it in its loud as crap and need ear plugs lol.. even with a single shot for verification prior to the season
    Shotguns,rifles, and handguns are all legitimate choices for home defense. I’ve seen people die and survive after being shot with all of the above. Most of the people I have talked to who have actually shot another human say they never heard the gunshot.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Seems like there is more to it than banking on a single shot fired to end the fight. Would you agree?

I've considered a shotgun but I prefer something shorter. I've done some house clearing training with an M16. I don't care for it. I've considered getting something like an 870 20 gauge Tac-14 12 gauge (Remington > Mossberg) but having shot a pistol grip stockless 12 gauge before, I decided against it. Given the distance of the shot, I believe a 20 guage would work well. I've given some not so serious thought to a 20 gauge Tac-14.

Given the lack of defensive ammunition choices for 20 gauge, would that alter your choice?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Seems like there is more to it than banking on a single shot fired to end the fight. Would you agree?

Given the lack of defensive ammunition choices for 20 gauge, would that alter your choice?

Yes but I’d want my first shot to be as damaging as possible from the biggest gun possible. 12 gauge OO Buckshot is a devastating round. It causes a large wound channel which causes lots of trauma and blood loss compared to a 9mm round. Depending on ammo choice in a 5.56 you run the risk of over penetration and therefore less damage. If given the choice from my experience in shooting someone up close with one shot center mass I’d take the OO Buckshot but that’s just me

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Yes but I’d want my first shot to be as damaging as possible from the biggest gun possible. 12 gauge OO Buckshot is a devastating round. It causes a large wound channel which causes lots of trauma and blood loss compared to a 9mm round. Depending on ammo choice in a 5.56 you run the risk of over penetration and therefore less damage. If given the choice from my experience in shooting someone up close with one shot center mass I’d take the OO Buckshot but that’s just me

I don’t disagree.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Not really. If one choice works, there's technically enough choices. A 12 gauge would certainly be more effecting than a 20 gauge. The options for a 12 gauge "shotgun" are a standard shotgun, an SBS, a firearm with a brace, and a firearm with a raptor grip. As you move down the list, the overall length decreases, making it more ideal to a point, in my opinion, for home defense. My opinion stems from personal experience with building and home clearing using weapons of varying length from an M16A4 to handguns. I would say the cutoff, at least for me, is the firearm with a brace. If I'm considering a firearm without a brace, I'm looking at the 20 gauge. Having shot both, I find the 20 gauge without a stock/brace more controllable than the 12 gauge stock/brace.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Sorry. I had to step away for a bit. It seems they don't like to pay me unless I work.
    I feel you sometimes obligations keep us tied up.

Just so I'm not jumping to conclusions, what spectrum are you on?
    Well it was a discussion about what generation I’m from and I’m a millennial by a year or so. So the spectrum would be the age group that is defined as a millennial. I’m no rain man if that’s what you’re wondering.

I believe I was the one that pointed out the absurdity of the phrase.
    Yeah and that was kind of the point to say something absurd and see if someone took me serious. I was impressed at my success.

FORUM RULES
    Rule 1: No rudeness or personal attacks
    While we appreciate passionate and informed discussion we will not allow rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, purposeless inflammatory posts, or trolling. If you do not like a thread or do not have anything positive to say, do not post anything at all.
    So apparently I can’t make absurd statements to see who will bite. Folks I apologize. I assumed that because I wasn’t being insulting or inflammatory that having a little fun wasn’t a problem. I should have read the rules more thoroughly instead of skimming them.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

I don’t disagree.

I seem to recall 10-14 pages ago similar assertions made by some random miscreant.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Kinda the same, never shot anybody... but everytime I shoot a deer I typically don’t hear it... now sighting it in its loud as crap and need ear plugs lol.. even with a single shot for verification prior to the season
    I must be doing it wrong. It’s less of a loud sound but a deafening sound. My ears ring and my hearing is temporarily muted (sometimes for 12 or more hours).

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I feel you sometimes obligations keep us tied up.

I'm not sure if I agree or disagee with this.

Well it was a discussion about what generation I’m from and I’m a millennial by a year or so. So the spectrum would be the age group that is defined as a millennial. I’m no rain man if that’s what you’re wondering.

I didn't think you were Rain Man. He got things right.

Yeah and that was kind of the point to say something absurd and see if someone took me serious. I was impressed at my success.

So you realized it was absurd before you posted as opposed to after it wasn't well received?

So apparently I can’t make absurd statements to see who will bite. Folks I apologize. I assumed that because I wasn’t being insulting or inflammatory that having a little fun wasn’t a problem. I should have read the rules more thoroughly instead of skimming them.

Yeah...because I usually give warnings.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I'm not sure if I agree or disagee with this.

Ok...

I didn't think you were Rain Man. He got things right.

Remember the rule you quoted me now.;)

So you realized it was absurd before you posted as opposed to after it wasn't well received?

Yeah that’s kind of what trolling is. You say sometimes absurd or incendiary in order to get a rise out of people. It’s quite amusing.

Yeah...because I usually give warnings.
    I don’t understand. I didn’t ask a question. I admitted my guilt and apologized. But come to think of it if trolling as a big no no, why did it take a week and me pointing it out multiple times to be corrected? Did you not realize I was trolling last week?

Here is the urban dictionary on trolling. It makes me out to be a bad guy. Yes trolling can be mean and hurtful, but it doesn’t have to be. I fell for jhal’s bait, friggin swallow the hook, coodos to him.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Trolling&amp=true

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ok...

Remember the rule you quoted me now.;)

Yeah that’s kind of what trolling is. You say sometimes absurd or incendiary in order to get a rise out of people. It’s quite amusing.

I don’t understand. I didn’t ask a question. I admitted my guilt and apologized. But come to think of it if trolling as a big no no, why did it take a week and me pointing it out multiple times to be corrected? Did you not realize I was trolling last week?

I remember the rule. I wasn't trolling. I wasn't insulting. I was commenting on the fact you got a lot of things wrong. And no, I don't believe you were trolling the entire time. I believe it's a way of covering up a lack of accuracy after the fact. Have you ever heard of Poe's Law?

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I remember the rule. I wasn't trolling. I wasn't insulting. I was commenting on the fact you got a lot of things wrong. And no, I don't believe you were trolling the entire time. I believe it's a way of covering up a lack of accuracy after the fact. Have you ever heard of Poe's Law?

Yep that’s the quote that sparked the controversy. Gator made an absurd comment about making someone dance with his six shoot or something, most of us got the joke, but jhal23 seemed to think he was serious and posted that very response to me. After I finished laughing like a school girl I pondered what would be some shiny enticing bait, and ‘weaponized light’ was born.

I’m not sure what I got wrong if you don’t point it out I may never learn.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yep that’s the quote that sparked the controversy. Gator made an absurd comment about making someone dance with his six shoot or something, most of us got the joke, but jhal23 seemed to think he was serious and posted that very response to me. After I finished laughing like a school girl I pondered what would be some shiny enticing bait, and ‘weaponized light’ was born.

So you read his reply and decided to start doing a little trolling.?

I’m not sure what I got wrong if you don’t point it out I may never learn.

You're not sure what you got wrong when it is pointed out.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom