What is your go-to home defense weapon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you choose for home defense?

• Total voters

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    No doubt I would. I welcome all information that helps me brush up on my ninja skills. And if probably learn about when someone posted the link on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should look at some of the Modern Rouge's videos if you want to hone your ninja skills, lol. They do random ninja-esque things.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    [video]https://tenor.com/view/national-lampoon-christmas-vacation-clark-griswold-ski-mask-chainsaw-gif-4838114[/video]

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Suppressed FNX tactical with federal +p hst's, a streamlight VIR, and a Trijicon RMR HRS mini reddot sight. Still hearing safe and below 140 dB.

Very bottom least of your problems if someone with mal-intent is inside your dwelling! I guarantee, you throw lead in your house at someone, you ain't going to hear it! At least you aren't going to remember hearing it.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I may have missed this in the 307 previous posts but over the years I changed which long gun I have staged in my bedroom.

Initially a HD shotgun but I traded it for something else. I have a VEPR12 but that maybe a bit much for HD. Then I used an AK but I was worried about over penetration. Now I have an AR carbine with soft points loaded in it.

I’ve considered using my 10.5* AR pistol in 300 BLK with a Silencerco Omega 300 on it. I know I have read reports and had a friend on here that was on SWAT and said you won’t hear the shots due to adrenaline but a gunshot is loud on a range. I can’t imagine in a house or a car. I figure if I have a can why not use it. I also have a G17 with a RDS, WML and a Silencerco Octane 45 on it.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I may have missed this in the 307 previous posts but over the years I changed which long gun I have staged in my bedroom.

Initially a HD shotgun but I traded it for something else. I have a VEPR12 but that maybe a bit much for HD. Then I used an AK but I was worried about over penetration. Now I have an AR carbine with soft points loaded in it.

I’ve considered using my 10.5* AR pistol in 300 BLK with a Silencerco Omega 300 on it. I know I have read reports and had a friend on here that was on SWAT and said you won’t hear the shots due to adrenaline but a gunshot is loud on a range. I can’t imagine in a house or a car. I figure if I have a can why not use it. I also have a G17 with a RDS, WML and a Silencerco Octane 45 on it.

If you hunt, particularly ducks, you would understand why it won't matter. Of the literally hundreds of ducks I have shot, I very seldom heard (or paid any conscious attention), to the report of the shots. I believe the phenomena is adrenaline related too. Now, I won't offer my opinion as to whether or not you will damage your hearing long term if you shoot a barrage of bullets in your bedroom, cause I really don't know. My hearing is not bad at 56, but it ain't as good as it was when I was 18. But; I don't know if that is from the hundreds of shotgun and rifle blasts from hunting, the ridiculously loud music I listened to then (and now), or the wax in my ear canal! :dunno:

To me, shooting a loud gun in my house to save me or my family's life is like me shooting backwards as I am running away in my "get off the x" drill. It won't matter if you end up dead! :mamoru:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    If you hunt, particularly ducks, you would understand why it won't matter. Of the literally hundreds of ducks I have shot, I very seldom heard (or paid any conscious attention), to the report of the shots. I believe the phenomena is adrenaline related too. Now, I won't offer my opinion as to whether or not you will damage your hearing long term if you shoot a barrage of bullets in your bedroom, cause I really don't know. My hearing is not bad at 56, but it ain't as good as it was when I was 18. But; I don't know if that is from the hundreds of shotgun and rifle blasts from hunting, the ridiculously loud music I listened to then (and now), or the wax in my ear canal! :dunno:

To me, shooting a loud gun in my house to save me or my family's life is like me shooting backwards as I am running away in my "get off the x" drill. It won't matter if you end up dead! :mamoru:

I can tell you at 35 my hearing is wrecked and has been since my 20's. When I shoot from a semi-enclosed spaces (shooting house) or even an open space with a barrier to bounce the sound back at me too close (some might call it cover), without ear pro my ears will ring and then sound muffled for hours. It doesn't matter if its the biggest buck I've ever seen or a piece of paper. It never hurts, but it can be disorienting. Its even effected my balance once. Pistols don't seem to have the same effect on me and I can't recall the last time I shot a 12GA without ear pro. I have notices the guns I have with breaks rock my world semi-enclosed. So, bad I removed a break and re-zeroed mid-season one year.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I can tell you at 35 my hearing is wrecked and has been since my 20's. When I shoot from a semi-enclosed spaces (shooting house) or even an open space with a barrier to bounce the sound back at me too close (some might call it cover), without ear pro my ears will ring and then sound muffled for hours. It doesn't matter if its the biggest buck I've ever seen or a piece of paper. It never hurts, but it can be disorienting. Its even effected my balance once. Pistols don't seem to have the same effect on me and I can't recall the last time I shot a 12GA without ear pro. I have notices the guns I have with breaks rock my world semi-enclosed. So, bad I removed a break and re-zeroed mid-season one year.

My SIG 5.56 Patrol Rifle with an ordinary flash hider is so loud, you can't shoot it without "good" ear protection. I think it may have been designed to deafen the enemy in case you missed. ;)

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    My SIG 5.56 Patrol Rifle with an ordinary flash hider is so loud, you can't shoot it without "good" ear protection. I think it may have been designed to deafen the enemy in case you missed. ;)

I remember a buddy test firing an ar pistol years ago. He had another buddy who wanted to use it (sometimes it doesn’t pay to ask why). When he pulled it out I put my fingers in my ears and put some distance between us. His other buddy didn’t and acted like it was a girl or something and stood at his 3 O’clock. Then proceeded to bitch about the report from a 5.56 in a 10.5 barrel. :dunno:

Last edited:

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    Mine is a G17 with a TLR1HL in the nightstand. I used to keep a AR SBR suppressed next to the bed, but now with a 2 year old I had to put it in the safe and get a lockbox for the pistol.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I remember a buddy test firing an ar pistol years ago. He had another buddy who wanted to use it (sometimes it doesn’t pay to ask why). When he pulled it out I put my fingers in my ears and put some distance between us. His other buddy didn’t and acted like it was a girl or something and stood at his 3 O’clock. Then proceeded to bitch about the report from a 5.56 in a 10.5 barrel. :dunno:
    Hahahahaha! Little thump huh. Exactly why I like a pig or linear comp on my short uppers especially. The 7.5 inch uppers sound like LR08’s going off and have pretty much the same concussive effect.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

That’s called auditory occlusion. The brain acts as the final say for what you hear. It has the ability to adjust the perceived noise levels of specific sounds and does so when under stress, excited, etc. Because everyone’s brain works somewhat differently, it is more pronounced in some than in others and varies by situation. This doesn’t protect the ears at all, it just serves to help you better focus on what is going on right then.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I once had a 5/8 black bear walk up on me in a stand in AK

Was about 8'away staring at me up a tree.....

When it started running away I started banging it with a 45/70 Guide gun

I barely heard the shots since I believe my anus had latched upon the seat cushion and hadn't released it yet?

Top Bottom