Join BayouShooter For Free

View Poll Results: What do you choose for home defense?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pistol

38 70.37%
  • Rifle

12 22.22%
  • Shotgun

12 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 32 1211 ... LastLast
    Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

What is your go-to home defense weapon?

What is your go-to home defense weapon and what made you choose it?

I recently reviewed another thread that was on the same topic and took the sum of each answer.

There were 37 Handguns, 11 Shotguns, and 9 Rifles.

Most of the handguns were the pistols that the individual carried concealed. The shotguns were a mix of pumps and double barrels. The rifles were typically suppressed short barreled rifles. Although the shotguns outnumbered the rifles by 2, the rifles were more modern.

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

S&W pistol with 17 plus one. For my situation in a relatively small apartment, it works best. If I were in something a bit larger, I'd go with a SB AR (ideally).

What is yours?
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AustinBR View Post
    S&W pistol with 17 plus one. For my situation in a relatively small apartment, it works best. If I were in something a bit larger, I'd go with a SB AR (ideally).

What is yours?
    A suppressed rifle and pistol, both with optics and 1,000 lumen weapon lights.

Marksman

User Info Menu

AR15. Nothing shabby about 30 rounds of green tips. Also they go through less drywall than you imagine. Also being more accurate with a rifle means (hopefully) less stay shots.
    Motorcycles and guns, how fun....

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jhal23 View Post
    Smart. I keep a 1000 lumen handheld light next to said pistol. I haven't done enough training with a WML on a pistol and my current situation doesn't require it for in-apartment use (due to spacing and ambient lighting).
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

I typically keep my EDC pistol close by the bed. 17+1 9mm rounds and 800 lumens at the ready with 3 spare 17 round magazines next to it. I also have a 11.5* suppressed 5.56 close by with 60 rounds and 1000 lumens. But when there's a bump in the middle of the night, the so far unsuppressed (NFA jail) handgun is the easiest to grab.

Marksman

User Info Menu

When I pull my shield 9mm out of my pants at bedtime it stays within reach. If I have to transition to more firepower there are guns available and ready. But the gun I carry every day returns to the same place every night, and I can reach for it in the dark with or without contact lenses or what have you.

The shield is plain Jane it doesn’t even have night sights. I usually have some sort of weaponized light near by (still hoping that catches on).

All or nothing

User Info Menu

All three serve a purpose in and around my house. Shotguns full of 4buck or 000, pistols, AR full of FBI loads. Just depends on what stretch of house I’m at and what’s closest, but always a pistol at my fingertips. I do prefer a shotty if I’m in a fixed position, if for no other reason than stopping power.
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct it———
    Bangswitch

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    All three serve a purpose in and around my house. Shotguns full of 4buck or 000, pistols, AR full of FBI loads. Just depends on what stretch of house I’m at and what’s closest, but always a pistol at my fingertips. I do prefer a shotty if I’m in a fixed position, if for no other reason than stopping power.
    What is stopping power?

Marksman

User Info Menu

What he said!!!! Suppressed ar either sbr or pistol depending on my attitude with a aimpoint micro and white light
    Quote Originally Posted by jhal23 View Post