What is your go-to home defense weapon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you choose for home defense?

• Total voters

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Unfortunately, the question at hand wasn't directed towards you. You chose to interject into the conversation. I understand if you want to white knight for a mate, but it's irrelevant to the discussion.

You should really pull your head out your backside. I have openly disagreed with MagDump on more than one occasion the quote he runs in his sig was from a conversation were we disagreed extensively. What I don't like is how you continually trash talking a perfectly good weapon because you feel your choice is the better option. I reminds me of a forum I frequented for years call pirate4x4. If you paid attention on there you saw the same bull crap opposite spectrum arguments one guy would act like you needed a diesel dually to pull a bass boat, while another would make you think your hardbody Nissan could pull a house. Both ends were equally wrong.

The difference here is you make it out to be the only way a man could possibly ever be able to protect himself and his family is if he has a suppressed sbr and practiced doing countless bill drills and shoot and moves. The deal is, a lot of people don't have the time and money to get set up and be that kind of effective with the type of gear you propose we all need. But the good news is there are plenty of options and while there is no substitute for good training you don't have to be billy bad ass to be effective in every scenario. The scenario that it appears you are ever vigilant for is the the most extreme.

I said it to you back in February when you used another handle I carry a 9mm Shield with me every where I can legally carry it. My house is much safer than many places I go. So yes my shield is more than enough gun to be my primary in most home defense scenarios. In the event it is not I could step up to a larger handgun or one of my AR's and suffer the additional hearing loss.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You should really pull your head out your backside. I have openly disagreed with MagDump on more than one occasion the quote he runs in his sig was from a conversation were we disagreed extensively. What I don't like is how you continually trash talking a perfectly good weapon because you feel your choice is the better option. I reminds me of a forum I frequented for years call pirate4x4. If you paid attention on there you saw the same bull crap opposite spectrum arguments one guy would act like you needed a diesel dually to pull a bass boat, while another would make you think your hardbody Nissan could pull a house. Both ends were equally wrong.

The difference here is you make it out to be the only way a man could possibly ever be able to protect himself and his family is if he has a suppressed sbr and practiced doing countless bill drills and shoot and moves. The deal is, a lot of people don't have the time and money to get set up and be that kind of effective with the type of gear you propose we all need. But the good news is there are plenty of options and while there is no substitute for good training you don't have to be billy bad ass to be effective in every scenario. The scenario that it appears you are ever vigilant for is the the most extreme.

I said it to you back in February when you used another handle I carry a 9mm Shield with me every where I can legally carry it. My house is much safer than many places I go. So yes my shield is more than enough gun to be my primary in most home defense scenarios. In the event it is not I could step up to a larger handgun or one of my AR's and suffer the additional hearing loss.

Sounds like you're taking this personally.

I'd like to get back on topic.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    There are actually three choices to choose from. All have distinct advantages and disadvantages.

I'm curious about why one would select each specific choice. I'm not curious about opinions based on mythology and an unwillingness to have a discussion. AustinBR has already stated that some of the members here have stated that they refuse to be swayed regardless of what facts are presented.

I'm sorry if you look at this thread as a personal attack.

All have there own merit absolutely and I gave my thoughts on why I chose statistically the one with least firepower.

I don't base any of my decisions on myths or delusions of grandeur, but in the fact that in the most likely scenario I will be adequately armed and prepared with my primary weapon.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    All have there own merit absolutely and I gave my thoughts on why I chose statistically the one with least firepower.

I don't base any of my decisions on myths or delusions of grandeur, but in the fact that in the most likely scenario I will be adequately armed and prepared with my primary weapon.

As I've stated previously, the question was not directed towards you in particular.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Laser tag count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I am sure that some skills used in laser tag could apply, it really doesn't duplicate the stress of having somebody shoot at you with live ammunition.

Force on Force.

Secured, but within reach.

What does this mean? Can you reach over and access your loaded firearm of choice or not? No obfuscation.

My Shockwave hangs from my headboard. My carry gun, for that day, is on my nightstand. All loaded, ready to use. Round in chamber.

-----------------

So in this force on force training, you are discharging live ammunition at live targets, and they are returning fire at you?

Where are you doing this training?

Cool games bruh. Bet it's expensive. Still, just glorified laser tag. Better than no training, but no replacement for combat experience.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    LOL

What kind of insane classes are you taking where people are returning fire at you?

Insane? Have you never heard of a Force on Force (FoF) class? You live in NOLA according to your profile - there are plenty of great options within an easy drive of you. Go check them out. They are a ton of fun and teach very, very valuable skills that cannot be learned any other way.

I go back to boxing: You absolutely cannot know how good of a boxer you are until you are matched against someone else. This is very, very relevent to firearms training. Good FoF training will allow you to learn how you, yourself will handle everything that comes with being shot at - just with much less risk.

I took a FoF class that specifically dealt with a bad guy breaking into your house (lights are out) and you respond by grabbing a gun and investigating the bump in night. There were various scenerios, not all of which required shooting someone. One of the things that happened was a neighbors drunk teenager came in the back door of the house and didn't know where he was. Coming down the stairs, we had no clue who was in the house or their intentions. Shooting a neighbors kid who broke in might be legal, but definitely isn't the /right/ thing to do.

That's just one example of something that can be learned from classes like this. But another thing that stood out in the class was how complacent people can be. A firearms instructor who teaches the concealed carry class was a student in this class with me. I was the bad guy in one of the situations. There was a point where I 'broke in' and then sat down. He shined a light right at me, and didn't see me because he was so hyped up on adreneline. I even waited 15 seconds and made a noise so he could turn around. He still didn't see me until I shot him three times in the chest from about 5 yards away. There are a ton of lessons that can be learned from that one situation.

TLDR: FoF is very valuable training and everyone who carries a gun should do it at least once a year.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    What does this mean? Can you reach over and access your loaded firearm of choice or not? No obfuscation.

My Shockwave hangs from my bedpost. My carry gun, for that day, is on my nightstand. All loaded, ready to use.

It means it's secured, but within reach.

So in this force on force training, you are discharging live ammunition at live targets, and they are returning fire at you?

Simunition.

Although it's not lethal, it does require PPE to protect the participants.

fx_cartridges.png

fx3_tmb.png

There are many shoot houses across the state, but the most publicly available shoot house is at FRC Range in Baton Rouge.

https://www.frcbr.com/shoot-house

I believe they are a site sponsor here.

Cool games bruh. Bet it's expensive. Still, just glorified laser tag. Better than no training, but no replacement for combat experience.

Expensive is a relative term. Most people spend copious amount of money on junk food and bad habits that will add up to a greater sum that the cost of quality training.

Glorified laser tag? Sounds like you've never experience Force on Force training.

1970's combat experience is great for war stories, but relying on what was done in your early years when you are now eligible for Medicaid is not very wise.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    While I am sure that some skills used in laser tag could apply, it really doesn't duplicate the stress of having somebody shoot at you with live ammunition.

My Shockwave hangs from my headboard. My carry gun, for that day, is on my nightstand. All loaded, ready to use. Round in chamber.

-----------------

Most FoF uses Simunition, which hits like a very hard paintball (it hurts). It also has similar recoil to real guns. Most popular carry guns or ARs have the ability to be modified to shoot Sim rounds.

Combat experience doesn't help much unless it was recent and relevent. This is something that a lot of people think that just isn't true.

Near you a good place to do it is FRC in Baton Rouge. I believe there are two places in NOLA as well, but I don't recall their names.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Wow! You people are testy!

If I may, just some random observations:

Punching a static punching bag does NOT prepare you to move better in a fight! What it does is makes you strong enough to end the fight with one well placed shot to the ribs or liver. If you aren't as equally fit in the mid section as a trained boxer, do not let one hit you there.

Shotguns are unbelievably effective at close range with buckshot. Just go look up pictures of shotgun victims. Even a half pattern hit with buckshot, is going to be extremely nasty and most likely an immediate threat eliminator.

Different types of defense scenario training is great (and I fully advocate it), if you have time and money! Most don't have enough of either or.

I will say this, if you want a very inexpensive way to get some training that will race your heart, and have you moving, while trying to be accurate in shot placement; go to an EAPS USPSA match at the Ascension Sheriffs range on the Sunday they hold them. I think non-member entry fee is $25 plus your ammo and gear. It's not FoF, but the stress is definitely there!

I am fortunate to have an outdoor range. Most don't. No one is shooting at me, but I do practice shooting (my primary), at static targets while I am moving off the X. Talk about harder than you would think. Can any of you run through your house in the dark, shooting effectively at an assailant if you had to? This thread is about home defense weapons, you should think about that as much as the weapon of choice.

If someone sneaks in your house and stands over you with a gun while you are asleep; that weapon you have isn't going to matter. Better to have some pre-entry alert system; barking dog or entry alarm to wake you up BEFORE someone gets to you. Where is your HD weapon if someone kicks your door in while you are watching TV, taking a shower, or taking a crap? If it isn't at arms length or within 2 steps, you may not make it!

To me, it isn't about the weapon of choice as it is the situation you may be placed in. I use my primary for all things defensive! One pistol, one thing to worry about; in all practical scenarios. Are there things I am missing? Perhaps. But I try to envision scenarios that could happen to me in my environment.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Most FoF uses Simunition, which hits like a very hard paintball (it hurts). It also has similar recoil to real guns. Most popular carry guns or ARs have the ability to be modified to shoot Sim rounds.

Combat experience doesn't help much unless it was recent and relevent. This is something that a lot of people think that just isn't true.

Near you a good place to do it is FRC in Baton Rouge. I believe there are two places in NOLA as well, but I don't recall their names.

For what it's worth, St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office and East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office both have training facilities. It seems as though FoF training has merit.

Top Bottom