Join BayouShooter For Free
CS

View Poll Results: What do you choose for home defense?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pistol

38 70.37%
  • Rifle

12 22.22%
  • Shotgun

12 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 223132
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    If you hunt, particularly ducks, you would understand why it won't matter. Of the literally hundreds of ducks I have shot, I very seldom heard (or paid any conscious attention), to the report of the shots. I believe the phenomena is adrenaline related too. Now, I won't offer my opinion as to whether or not you will damage your hearing long term if you shoot a barrage of bullets in your bedroom, cause I really don't know. My hearing is not bad at 56, but it ain't as good as it was when I was 18. But; I don't know if that is from the hundreds of shotgun and rifle blasts from hunting, the ridiculously loud music I listened to then (and now), or the wax in my ear canal!

To me, shooting a loud gun in my house to save me or my family's life is like me shooting backwards as I am running away in my "get off the x" drill. It won't matter if you end up dead!
    I can tell you at 35 my hearing is wrecked and has been since my 20's. When I shoot from a semi-enclosed spaces (shooting house) or even an open space with a barrier to bounce the sound back at me too close (some might call it cover), without ear pro my ears will ring and then sound muffled for hours. It doesn't matter if its the biggest buck I've ever seen or a piece of paper. It never hurts, but it can be disorienting. Its even effected my balance once. Pistols don't seem to have the same effect on me and I can't recall the last time I shot a 12GA without ear pro. I have notices the guns I have with breaks rock my world semi-enclosed. So, bad I removed a break and re-zeroed mid-season one year.

Seriously Misunderstood!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    I can tell you at 35 my hearing is wrecked and has been since my 20's. When I shoot from a semi-enclosed spaces (shooting house) or even an open space with a barrier to bounce the sound back at me too close (some might call it cover), without ear pro my ears will ring and then sound muffled for hours. It doesn't matter if its the biggest buck I've ever seen or a piece of paper. It never hurts, but it can be disorienting. Its even effected my balance once. Pistols don't seem to have the same effect on me and I can't recall the last time I shot a 12GA without ear pro. I have notices the guns I have with breaks rock my world semi-enclosed. So, bad I removed a break and re-zeroed mid-season one year.
    My SIG 5.56 Patrol Rifle with an ordinary flash hider is so loud, you can't shoot it without "good" ear protection. I think it may have been designed to deafen the enemy in case you missed.
    Remember; The 2nd Amendment Protects the 1st!
    Lyndon Johnson (Democrat & Father of US Welfare System) we'll give them stuff........."and have them ni&&ers voting democratic for the next 200 years!"
    "I'm a self reliant, self supported American trapped in a "Free Shit" society!"
    Be Warned! Amazon.com is Skynet!
    PLEASE STOP USING GOOGLE!
    I don't believe in a supreme deity; but have to believe Trump's win was Divine Intervention!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    My SIG 5.56 Patrol Rifle with an ordinary flash hider is so loud, you can't shoot it without "good" ear protection. I think it may have been designed to deafen the enemy in case you missed.
    I remember a buddy test firing an ar pistol years ago. He had another buddy who wanted to use it (sometimes it doesn’t pay to ask why). When he pulled it out I put my fingers in my ears and put some distance between us. His other buddy didn’t and acted like it was a girl or something and stood at his 3 O’clock. Then proceeded to bitch about the report from a 5.56 in a 10.5 barrel.
    Last edited by Bangswitch; October 17th, 2019 at 11:29 AM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Mine is a G17 with a TLR1HL in the nightstand. I used to keep a AR SBR suppressed next to the bed, but now with a 2 year old I had to put it in the safe and get a lockbox for the pistol.

All or nothing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    I remember a buddy test firing an ar pistol years ago. He had another buddy who wanted to use it (sometimes it doesn’t pay to ask why). When he pulled it out I put my fingers in my ears and put some distance between us. His other buddy didn’t and acted like it was a girl or something and stood at his 3 O’clock. Then proceeded to bitch about the report from a 5.56 in a 10.5 barrel.
    Hahahahaha! Little thump huh. Exactly why I like a pig or linear comp on my short uppers especially. The 7.5 inch uppers sound like LR08’s going off and have pretty much the same concussive effect.
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct itóóó
    Bangswitch

Old School

User Info Menu

Glock 21 - 14 Rds Liberty Civil Defense 78 gr. 1900 fps 600 fpe seems like a good choice for CQC in my home.
    Last edited by JB-Glock21; October 19th, 2019 at 07:25 AM.
    "How did you learn to shoot like that!!??....."Practice!!"

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Final. You Must Learn to be Slow in a Hurry"......Wyatt Earp