What is your go-to home defense weapon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you choose for home defense?

• Total voters

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    What is your go-to home defense weapon and what made you choose it?

I recently reviewed another thread that was on the same topic and took the sum of each answer.

There were 37 Handguns, 11 Shotguns, and 9 Rifles.

Most of the handguns were the pistols that the individual carried concealed. The shotguns were a mix of pumps and double barrels. The rifles were typically suppressed short barreled rifles. Although the shotguns outnumbered the rifles by 2, the rifles were more modern.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    S&W pistol with 17 plus one. For my situation in a relatively small apartment, it works best. If I were in something a bit larger, I'd go with a SB AR (ideally).

What is yours?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    S&W pistol with 17 plus one. For my situation in a relatively small apartment, it works best. If I were in something a bit larger, I'd go with a SB AR (ideally).

What is yours?

A suppressed rifle and pistol, both with optics and 1,000 lumen weapon lights.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    AR15. Nothing shabby about 30 rounds of green tips. Also they go through less drywall than you imagine. Also being more accurate with a rifle means (hopefully) less stay shots.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    A suppressed rifle and pistol, both with optics and 1,000 lumen weapon lights.

Smart. I keep a 1000 lumen handheld light next to said pistol. I haven't done enough training with a WML on a pistol and my current situation doesn't require it for in-apartment use (due to spacing and ambient lighting).

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I typically keep my EDC pistol close by the bed. 17+1 9mm rounds and 800 lumens at the ready with 3 spare 17 round magazines next to it. I also have a 11.5* suppressed 5.56 close by with 60 rounds and 1000 lumens. But when there's a bump in the middle of the night, the so far unsuppressed (NFA jail) handgun is the easiest to grab.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    When I pull my shield 9mm out of my pants at bedtime it stays within reach. If I have to transition to more firepower there are guns available and ready. But the gun I carry every day returns to the same place every night, and I can reach for it in the dark with or without contact lenses or what have you.

The shield is plain Jane it doesn’t even have night sights. I usually have some sort of weaponized light near by (still hoping that catches on).

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    All three serve a purpose in and around my house. Shotguns full of 4buck or 000, pistols, AR full of FBI loads. Just depends on what stretch of house I’m at and what’s closest, but always a pistol at my fingertips. I do prefer a shotty if I’m in a fixed position, if for no other reason than stopping power.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    All three serve a purpose in and around my house. Shotguns full of 4buck or 000, pistols, AR full of FBI loads. Just depends on what stretch of house I’m at and what’s closest, but always a pistol at my fingertips. I do prefer a shotty if I’m in a fixed position, if for no other reason than stopping power.

What is stopping power?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Only diff is I like a 10.5” sbr or pistol with my omega 30... still shorter than a 16” with a flash hider and for me hearing safe in a house... typically keep 62gr federal fusion soft points loaded for in the house with a spare mag of green tips if I need it... my theory is with the soft points and the lower velocity from the 10.5” I can cut down on over penetration and multiple wall penetration... maybe not but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside lol...

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Only diff is I like a 10.5” sbr or pistol with my omega 30... still shorter than a 16” with a flash hider and for me hearing safe in a house... typically keep 62gr federal fusion soft points loaded for in the house with a spare mag of green tips if I need it... my theory is with the soft points and the lower velocity from the 10.5” I can cut down on over penetration and multiple wall penetration... maybe not but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside lol...

https://www.cabelas.com/product/WINCHESTER-USA-FRANGIBLE-RIFLE-AMMO/2327577.uts

- - - Updated - - -

All I found was a million posts about how it's a myth.

The folks at Federal seem to agree.

Exactly the reason I’m not going there with you.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    No problem. I just want anyone else reading this thread to understand what they are reading.

Not sure you’ll understand this, but I feel certain you’ll argue.

1aea5d26a56a640c9e2573f446d025b2.jpg

56276d07897c3ca480d13b726efea1a8.jpg

So, if you think that the difference in energy doesn’t matter, go do some research and watch some videos of shootouts, see if by chance there are any cases where a perp is able to shoot back after a shotgun blast center mass at 5-30 feet as opposed to a 9mm-45acp or even 5.56. I’ve even seen a few of them run after point blank hits with a AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Not sure you’ll understand this, but I feel certain you’ll argue.

So, if you think that the difference in energy doesn’t matter, go do some research and watch some videos of shootouts, see if by chance there are any cases where a perp is able to shoot back after a shotgun blast center mass at 5-30 feet as opposed to a 9mm-45acp or even 5.56. I’ve even seen a few of them run after point blank hits with a AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must have been in a lot of shootings or did you mean you watch a lot of videos on YouTube?

I'm well aware of the ballistic properties of proven 12ga defensive ammunition as well as various rifle calibers. Rifle caliber trauma is interesting to see. Especially when such trauma was caused at close range.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    You must have been in a lot of shootings or did you mean you watch a lot of videos on YouTube?

I'm well aware of the ballistic properties of proven 12ga defensive ammunition as well as various rifle calibers. Rifle caliber trauma is interesting to see. Especially when such trauma was caused at close range.
    You’re great comic relief man, seriously.
    I meant to add earlier, I’m pretty sure everyone here is grown enough and intelligent enough to understand what they’re reading, but if anyone don’t fit that description, thank the good Lord they’ve got you to explain it to them.

Top Bottom