Join BayouShooter For Free

View Poll Results: What do you choose for home defense?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pistol

41 70.69%
  • Rifle

13 22.41%
  • Shotgun

12 20.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23413 ... LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jhal23 View Post
    All I found was a million posts about how it's a myth.

The folks at Federal seem to agree.

That video doesn’t discuss shotgun ammunition how does it disprove anything?

Note my personal choice was my 9mm, but 00buck slings 12 .33 caliber pellets at handgun speeds. Each pellet weigh roughly 41 grains. By the way there is 0000 but I think you might get 6 pellets if you are lucky (never handloaded that stuff).

If you want to call ‘stopping power’ a myth I argue it’s more of a nebulous term than a myth but that’s fine. But there is a massive amount of force exerted in often a golf ball size area using a 12ga.

Have you ever seen someone or something shot with 00buck? It’s friggin nasty especially if it’s followed by multiple shells. More Vinson is lost to buck shot every year running dogs than the average person would eat in a lifetime.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post

Note my personal choice was my 9mm, but 00buck slings 12 .33 caliber pellets at handgun speeds. Each pellet weigh roughly 41 grains. By the way there is 0000 but I think you might get 6 pellets if you are lucky (never handloaded that stuff).

If you want to call ‘stopping power’ a myth I argue it’s more of a nebulous term than a myth but that’s fine. But there is a massive amount of force exerted in often a golf ball size area using a 12ga.

Have you ever seen someone or something shot with 00buck? It’s friggin nasty especially if it’s followed by multiple shells. More Vinson is lost to buck shot every year running dogs than the average person would eat in a lifetime.
    There is a small snippet where rifle ammunition is mentioned in regards to projectile velocity while discussing the elasticity of human tissue. Although they don't specifically mention shotgun ammunition, the video is relevant to the discussion.

I'm not arguing that it's a myth. I'm simply asking for clarification on the context of what Magdump was referring to. From his other post, he is of the opinion that the term relates to muzzle energy. I have no further questions in regards to that. I will agree that it's an ambiguous term.

All or nothing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post

If you want to call ‘stopping power’ a myth I argue it’s more of a nebulous term than a myth but that’s fine. .
    He’s welcome to his opinion but his aim is not to offer anything really. Like I said earlier, I knew where he was going and I just don’t coddle the youngsters and their little struggles.
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct it———
    Bangswitch

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    He’s welcome to his opinion but his aim is not to offer anything really. Like I said earlier, I knew where he was going and I just don’t coddle the youngsters and their little struggles.
    You are quick to make judgement with such ignorance. Such is life, I suppose.

My aim is to explore everyone's individual ideology of why they make specific choices. As an example, many will reply that their home defense weapon is the firearm they carry daily. This is the most logical solution given that there is an increased chance that it will be the most accessible firearm. Home invasions don't always occur while you're sleeping in your bedroom.

All or nothing

User Info Menu

There is a small snippet where rifle ammunition is mentioned in regards to projectile velocity while discussing the elasticity of human tissue. Although they don't specifically mention shotgun ammunition, the video is relevant to the discussion.

I'm not arguing that it's a myth. I'm simply asking for clarification on the context of what Magdump was referring to. From his other post, he is of the opinion that the term relates to muzzle energy. I have no further questions in regards to that. I will agree that it's an ambiguous term.

For the sake of giving you the benefit of the doubt, which I’m certain is a moot point here, I’ll simplify things and explain the why I’d rather shoot an intruder with a 12 gauge. The hit is way more prone to instantly stop the perp in his tracks and he will be far less likely to get off a shot at me or my family afterward. In other words, I want the first shot on target to count. You can call it knock down or stopping power or kill power or anything you like. I’ll call it stopping power because that’s what it is when it applies to someone trying to harm you. Now go ahead and argue some more and tell us all how a 12ga shotgun blast has no more capacity to end a threat as fast as a 9mm , .45, 5.56, etc. because we all know you’re the authority on the subject. Btw, how many GSW autopsies have you assisted with? GSW trauma surgeries?

EDIT: You can believe all you want that my reasons for favoring the 12ga are false, but you can’t convince me otherwise.
    Last edited by Magdump; October 8th, 2019 at 04:06 PM.
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct it———
    Bangswitch

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

My aim is to explore everyone's individual ideology of why they make specific choices.
    You have a good aim but your presentation can easily be described as crappy.

All or nothing

User Info Menu

You are quick to make judgement with such ignorance. Such is life, I suppose.

and yet here we are, exactly where I knew it was going.

Bangswitch

Marksman

User Info Menu

But you used that video to refute ‘stopping power’ as a myth. I watched the whole video it was pretty good.

It is absolutely an ambiguous term. But I can testify to having drilled a deer in the shoulder bone with a large rifle and it broke there spine. That was that was from impact not the wound channel.

Additionally I don’t like gel to compare chest cavity wounding. I know it’s a fairly reliable medium but it really doesn’t compare with my experience doing my own little autopsies on the animals I’ve shot. And that may be that I normally shoot animals with large lungs protected by boney shoulders.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    You have a good aim but your presentation can easily be described as crappy.
    I will not deny that.

All or nothing

User Info Menu

I'm simply asking for clarification on the context of what Magdump was referring to. From his other post, he is of the opinion that the term relates to muzzle energy. I have no further questions in regards to that. I will agree that it's an ambiguous term.
    I’ll address this: I am not of the opinion that muzzle energy means stopping power. I assumed everyone here was educated enough to do the math. Even common sense will tell most folks that a dump truck doing 50mph is gonna wreak a lot more havoc than a civic doing 50mph.
    Civic hits the bus doing 50=bad wreck
    Dump truck hits the bus doing 50= too effed up for the evening news
    I just did that in my head without a calculator or anything...

Bangswitch