Somewhere to shoot around Lafayette area

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ultrasonic

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Maybe someone's got an old shooting car lol?! Im looking for somewhere semi private as it'll just be my 10yr old son and myself. I want to give him his first intro into an AK but age at some of the ranges is a problem and I don't mind paying to use someones property or even policing my brass, I just don't want to end up at Barney's where they try to charge you $$$$ per person to shoot in the same lane and then tell you that every FMJ round you've got is steel core because they can stick a refrigerator magnet to it and you have to buy their ammo to shoot there at $15 a box!
    Thanks!

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    The Iberia Parish Sheriffs range is open to the public on Wednesdays from 1pm to 4pm and Saturdays from 8am till noon. Hearing and Eye protection are required. It is free.

Art

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    I'm going check out the Franklin range.its also free and has way better hours than our sheriff's range. Its open 7 days a week

ultrasonic

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    The Iberia Parish Sheriffs range is open to the public on Wednesdays from 1pm to 4pm and Saturdays from 8am till noon. Hearing and Eye protection are required. It is free.

Art

Yeah I heard about the Sheriff's range but I didn't know if they had an age limit, plus 1-4 on Wednesdays for me is out and the place is a zoo on Saturday mornings.

LongRange

Weatherby...no Substitute
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    umm 10yrs old?

Now ur talkin!! we gotta get with the program if we are gonna compete against this! cept their daddys wear masks.. you got a mask?

oh and a cool headband,lol

kalashnikov-kids.jpg

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    the place is a zoo on Saturday mornings.

:confused: The rifle portion can get busy, especially around the beginning of hunting season, but I've never been unable to get a slot for some shooting and I'm there every Saturday unless I'm at a match.

Bring a pistol and while away the wait time on the pistol portions of the range until the crowd departs. Remember, these days, nobody can afford to shoot rifles for 4 hours straight ;)

But get there when they first open the gates and you WILL get a rifle lane...when I need to shoot rifle to prep for a match, that's what I do and I never get shut out.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    :confused: The rifle portion can get busy, especially around the beginning of hunting season, but I've never been unable to get a slot for some shooting and I'm there every Saturday unless I'm at a match.

Bring a pistol and while away the wait time on the pistol portions of the range until the crowd departs. Remember, these days, nobody can afford to shoot rifles for 4 hours straight ;)

But get there when they first open the gates and you WILL get a rifle lane...when I need to shoot rifle to prep for a match, that's what I do and I never get shut out.

+1 billion

This method never failed me either. ;)

Art

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The Lafayette Sheriff's range is open Saturdays 8-12 for civilians. Your son is welcome if you and he take the 10 minute safety orientation. There are range masters present at all times. The rifle side is often unoccupied and there is a center bay that can be either pistol or rifle. Range is 100 yds max but I've set up at 60 or so and had other 223 shooters join me.

http://www.lafayettesheriff.com/site108.php

missingAZ

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Morgan City
    You would have to join the NRA (you should anyways) and then join the club (Bayou Teche Guns in Arnaudville) but the Fusilier Complex is well worth it. It's quiet, outdoors, and you can shoot Wolf, Monarch, Whatever.

By the way, I have yet to find a gun store employee who knows why they check and reject magnetic ammo. The "cheap stuff" is a low quality lead alloy that contains steel and to a certain degree this acts like AP ammo, the range's backstop is not designed to handle "hardened" lead i.e. destroys it. It's a pretty good reason to reject magnetic projectiles.

-James

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom