How often do you incorporate skills drills with your carry gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

48169658827_f29987159c_c.jpg

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Everytime I am at a range, I go through various self-defense drills.

I always practice fundamentals and then hitting targets after drawing from concealment. Generally, I practice with the smaller targets that Dave posted above.

Outside of the range, I practice dry-firing from concealment, as well as movement.

What about y'all?

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    I would hope most of us are practicing regularly or at least semi-regularly. Granted we know most ranges won’t let you fire from concealment if they let you fire from a draw at all.

One of the guys at the office has one of those iTarget things; usually run at least a few dozen “draw and first shot” drills every time I’ve got Plastic Fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I would hope most of us are practicing regularly or at least semi-regularly. Granted we know most ranges won’t let you fire from concealment if they let you fire from a draw at all.

One of the guys at the office has one of those iTarget things; usually run at least a few dozen *draw and first shot* drills every time I’ve got Plastic Fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most ranges don't allow it, but there are a few that do. FRC Range is one range that does allow drawing from the holster after being approved by the staff.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    The laser ammo systems are so inexpensive now its almost a shame not to have one for drills.

Here's even a better option if you have some old technology laying around...

You'll need...

1. Laser Ammo (SIRT pistols work perfectly -- I went with the Laser Ammo Premium Plus for Pistols and Rifles but I also have a LaserLyte Trigger Tyme training pistol)
    Pretty much anything that will flash the laser instantly (NOT boresight lasers because they are constant, not momentary). Most of the barrel inserted models will even work with the blow-back or spring airsoft pistols/rifles).

2. Laptop (I run Linux on my laptop because it's old)

3. Webcam (doesn't have to be the greatest or even HD... you can adjust the settings for optimum performance)

4. Projector (doesn't need to be HD or even high resolution... an old 640x480 projector works just as well)

With these things you can download an open source (FREE) application called "SHOOT OFF" (HomeLESS is another but it is multiple programs and not JAVA based). SHOOT OFF runs using JAVA... so it will run on virtually any PC platform. It uses the webcam to watch the projected image and plots your shots from the laser ammo. It takes it a step further by even allowing the addition of animated targets... so you can setup a scene where you have targets that will actually fall, or steel targets that will "GONG" when hit, moving targets, etc. I am waiting for them to add video options so you can actually do self defense scenarios.

Granted, you will need a good sized area... but it is well worth it.

Then there are options like the "Laser PET", LaserHIT, BeamHIT, LaserLyte... etc.

One of the easiest setups I use is an app on an old Android Smartphone that runs iTarget (Also free) and I purchased the cradle for it on eBay used ($20). Now I have a small portable option that I can bring virtually anywhere with the Trigger Tyme pistol (Also purchased on eBay used) or the compact laser ammo set.

I hope this helps some of you. I have set these systems up for years just at my home, so if anything has any questions or assistance, I will provide what I can or what I know!

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    If you handload, practicing at home is easy with a revolver.

Simply prime a case, and force it into a shallow pan of wax.

Easy practice ammo you can shoot inside of your house at a hanging blanket.

I use commercially available rubber projectiles for practicing in my shop. Same principle.

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    I have to admit that although I do not conceal carry, i may put on a holster when I do a long walk with the pups late at night. Ido have a couple of holsters that I'll put on and practice drawing and sighting. I will pretend that I am in a situation and draw as fast as I feel comfortably and in control of my firearm. I will practice walking into a different room in my home and draw as if I were suprised by an intruder. I will say that my weapon is NOT loaded when doing this. I'm no outlaw or Billy badass but I do feel comfortable with my ability to draw and aim if the situation would arise. I've even ran and gone for cover then re targeted sometimes. Admittingly it's kinda goofy but I'm again, confident in my abilities to defend self and family.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If you handload, practicing at home is easy with a revolver.

Simply prime a case, and force it into a shallow pan of wax.

Easy practice ammo you can shoot inside of your house at a hanging blanket.

I use commercially available rubber projectiles for practicing in my shop. Same principle.
    Not a bad idea and sounds fun, but not really practical for practicing with a self-defense setup as no one caries revolvers lol.

I have to admit that although I do not conceal carry, i may put on a holster when I do a long walk with the pups late at night. Ido have a couple of holsters that I'll put on and practice drawing and sighting. I will pretend that I am in a situation and draw as fast as I feel comfortably and in control of my firearm. I will practice walking into a different room in my home and draw as if I were suprised by an intruder. I will say that my weapon is NOT loaded when doing this. I'm no outlaw or Billy badass but I do feel comfortable with my ability to draw and aim if the situation would arise. I've even ran and gone for cover then re targeted sometimes. Admittingly it's kinda goofy but I'm again, confident in my abilities to defend self and family.

You're going more than 99% of people who carry and I commend you for it!

One thing that I would add is to practice varying types of retention skills. There are many situations where you do not want a firearm at full-extension (such as when an assailant is within arms reach).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Stealing a quote from someone way smarter than me, that goes "men typically don't rise to the occasion, but rather fall to their level of training. " Dry fire practice is wonderful, but nothing can replace range time. Shot timers are great, and help you drive yourself. Remember, attack the holster/retention at 110% speed, and use the time saved to find that front sight and deliver a smooth squeeze. Repetition makes habits, and habits save lives.

Be safe.
    Weimer Weaponry

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Stealing a quote from someone way smarter than me, that goes "men typically don't rise to the occasion, but rather fall to their level of training. " Dry fire practice is wonderful, but nothing can replace range time. Shot timers are great, and help you drive yourself. Remember, attack the holster/retention at 110% speed, and use the time saved to find that front sight and deliver a smooth squeeze. Repetition makes habits, and habits save lives.

Be safe.
    Weimer Weaponry

Key point to add is to reholster SLOW. I see a lot of guys at the range rushing reholstering and that is an easy way to have an AD.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Key point to add is to reholster SLOW. I see a lot of guys at the range rushing reholstering and that is an easy way to have an AD.

I constantly tell shooters to "Draw Fast and Holster Slow". Many want to holster as fast as they draw.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I constantly tell shooters to "Draw Fast and Holster Slow". Many want to holster as fast as they draw.

There is no award for putting your gun away the fastest.

Brightly colored IWB holsters help you to visually inspect the inside of the holster prior to holstering.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    There is no award for putting your gun away the fastest.

Brightly colored IWB holsters help you to visually inspect the inside of the holster prior to holstering.

On a LEO line they are taught to slowly scan and slowly holster without looking at the holster.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom