Things you learned from hunting or nature

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Well sense we were talking some of this stuff in another thread I thought it’s a good topic worth exploring.

I learned how to move in low light without spooking animals or myself. Oddly enough once I mastered the later the former fell right into place. I’ve had a couple close encounters where I could have nearly touched a deer in his bed.

I mastered the art of walking silently. My wife really hates this one, it can be an amusing skill but dangerous if your wife is easily spooked.:rofl:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Here’s another, maybe these will help.

Even a seasoned shooter flat misses an easy shot once in a while.

A quality scope will trick you into over estimating your ability or under estimating the distance. So if your scope is mildot (or another range estimating reticle) learn to use it.

A ‘solid hit’ doesn’t always mean you will recover your prey. Sometimes a ‘solid hit’ isn’t solid.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    A Short Story about sneaking in the woods:

I was about 16/17 years old. Just old enough to have a license and drive myself.

I had scouted an area at Honey Island I wanted to hunt.
    I left trail markers, small pieces of orange tape, from the road, to my spot.
    It had flooded since I scouted, and it was cold out.
    I was making my way, with no light on, before dawn, when I heard a noise. Right behind me. Seems like I could feel the breath on the back of my neck.
    I had a light in my hand that I turned on as I swung around.

There, behind me, was a ten foot tall bull moose, with mayhem in it's eyes. Judging from it's breath, it had recently eaten a grizzly bear.

I tried to 'gracefully' unsling my rifle. (Actually, My brother in law's Marlin .30-30).
    In doing so, the light fell in the water, along with myself, and the rifle.
    So much for gracefulness.

I heard the distinct sound of that Bull Moose laughing, as it walked away, in no hurry what so ever.

It's amazing the things you see in the dark. In the woods.

Now, . . .

We all know that Bear eating Bull Moose are very rare in Honey Island.
    It was probably more like a little doberman with antlers.

But I woulda sworn, . . .

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    A Short Story about sneaking in the woods:

I was about 16/17 years old. Just old enough to have a license and drive myself.

I had scouted an area at Honey Island I wanted to hunt.
    I left trail markers, small pieces of orange tape, from the road, to my spot.
    It had flooded since I scouted, and it was cold out.
    I was making my way, with no light on, before dawn, when I heard a noise. Right behind me. Seems like I could feel the breath on the back of my neck.
    I had a light in my hand that I turned on as I swung around.

There, behind me, was a ten foot tall bull moose, with mayhem in it's eyes. Judging from it's breath, it had recently eaten a grizzly bear.

I tried to 'gracefully' unsling my rifle. (Actually, My brother in law's Marlin .30-30).
    In doing so, the light fell in the water, along with myself, and the rifle.
    So much for gracefulness.

I heard the distinct sound of that Bull Moose laughing, as it walked away, in no hurry what so ever.

It's amazing the things you see in the dark. In the woods.

Now, . . .

We all know that Bear eating Bull Moose are very rare in Honey Island.
    It was probably more like a little doberman with antlers.

But I woulda sworn, . . .

It could have been a Rougarou I suppose. :mamoru:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The silent walk is an art form for me. My kids and my wife don't know how those size 11 Alpha Burlys walks across dried dead leaves with hardly a crackle; meanwhile they are mentally begging me to shoot them for the noise they make! :mamoru: Now, what is difficult is trying to slip through a sea of palmettos without making noise.

I too, usually cut my light off when I get near my stand, though it doesn't seem to have far reaching adverse affects one way or another. One thing I have learned for sure is speed and stealth to get up the tree is paramount. The faster I can get my scent above their nose receptors' reach, the better and more successful I am. Not necessarily to kill, but to see more deer. I don't lollygag on the way in or out of the woods.

I have learned to detect the different sounds that each animal makes walking. In dry conditions, I can tell a deer from a coon, a coon from a squirrel, a squirrel from a wren, etc. They all have a certain gait.

I have mastered warmth on the coldest days, though we really don't get that cold here. Nonetheless, mid to high 20's and low 30's in a tree runs lesser men out way before me.

I have learned and appreciate stamina. Dragging 200+ pound deer 200 yards through swamp and palmettos is not for pu$$ies!

I have learned patience. I will square off with a squirrel or a deer as long as it takes to get my shot. I only hunt squirrels with a .22 so I usually only get one clean shot, two sometimes. Immature bucks only interest me because they will one day be mature bucks.

I am a human bush hog for rabbits. Rabbits are sitting where the fair weathered hunters won't go, hence people that hunt with me never get more than me. Never!

When I duck hunted a lot, I learned what decoy spread and each ones placement was the absolute best for getting them to commit on any conditions. I could call ducks back to me when they were hauling ass and not looking back. I would pull ducks away from my buddies in other ponds while they were circling them. If was funny too! They couldn't compete. :p I mastered the art of camouflage in my blind building too. I was a duck killing machine!

One of my greatest takeaways from hunting is the seriousness of it. I never casually hunt ANYTHING. If I go hunting, it's for all the marbles, all the time. It truly is obsessive! It's not about proving my ability to others either. I can go kill things and no one ever hears of it. It's about me! My wife and kids don't even ask what I get anymore, because they know I always get something.

So, in keeping with the theme of this thread, the answer is yes! I have taken away a lot from hunting and nature. And this above is just about hunting. Fishing, frogging, diving, camping, etc. It's all good too!

Last edited:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I discovered that I now enjoy sitting still under a big tree , simply watching the birds and squirrels moving all about the forest , doing what birds and squirrels do on a cool clear morning , a lot more than killing them .
    Time for someone else to kill & clean the squirrels for the gumbo... I paid my dues .
    Gary

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I discovered that I now enjoy sitting still under a big tree , simply watching the birds and squirrels moving all about the forest , doing what birds and squirrels do on a cool clear morning , a lot more than killing them .
    Time for someone else to kill & clean the squirrels for the gumbo... I paid my dues .
    Gary

Same here,I no longer squirrel hunt, I'd much rather just watch them.
    I have learned that for some reason a squirrel will suddenly bale up the tree and bark at an approaching deer.
    Watch the squirrels actions!

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    We have 3 Canary Island Date Palms. We hardly get Dates as they get eaten.
    Birds and Squirrels. I hated the Fluffy Tailed Rats as they eat my Lead Roof Stacks.
    they were open season as far as the wife cared.
    Till a Baby who had no tail, she named it BOB as it has a BOB_Tail.
    He-She {Bob or Bob-Bet} can fight a Cat well. It should be on Pay-Per-View.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I’ve learned that apparently I’m like a fine prime rib to a chigger. They can’t resist the taste.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Things you learned from hunting or nature

A wounded animal is a dangerous animal no mater what kind.
    Snakes do come out on cold mornings.
    Wasp LOVE box stands
    Rabbits when jumped by Beagles run an oval pattern and come back to withing 20' of where they were jumped.
    Raccoons raiding feeders can get too fat to climb a tree.
    Feral Hogs are a major problem.
    Hunters will gladly show you pictures from their game cameras taken 2 seasons ago.
    It's best to hunt with at least 1 trusted friend.
    Being still and quiet is more important than being covered in scent blockers (not knocking scent control).
    A wise hunter knows when not to take a shot (A wounded animal is a dangerous animal no mater what kind).

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    A wounded animal is a dangerous animal no mater what kind.
    Snakes do come out on cold mornings.
    Wasp LOVE box stands
    Rabbits when jumped by Beagles run an oval pattern and come back to withing 20' of where they were jumped.
    Raccoons raiding feeders can get too fat to climb a tree.
    Feral Hogs are a major problem.
    Hunters will gladly show you pictures from their game cameras taken 2 seasons ago.
    It's best to hunt with at least 1 trusted friend.
    Being still and quiet is more important than being covered in scent blockers (not knocking scent control).
    A wise hunter knows when not to take a shot (A wounded animal is a dangerous animal no mater what kind).

This guy would have to agree with you.

vd5iyna39cz11.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom