How often do you practice with your fire extinguisher?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    There is a house fire approximately every 88 seconds in the U.S.

Structure fires, in general, are much more frequent.

You are much more likely to suffer a house fire, than a home invasion.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Good on you bringing this up. We all need to be able to protect our loved ones at home.

A good friend of mine recently had a house fire. He and his family made it out ok, but it was luck or Devine intervention. His smoke detectors were in good working order, yet the two closest to the origin of the fire melted before they went off. My friend woke up to choking on thick smoke, and got the family out. The whole family had fell asleep downstairs in the living room, making a speedy exit possible.

Fire extinguisher wouldn’t have helped at all in this situation as the fire was in the walls and got out of control before anyone knew.

Having a plan in place and running random drills like in school will help your family’s chances of surviving a house fire.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Shoot man, I have been to a dozen schools in firefighting.
    Added bonus2 platform fires where we were instructed to evacuate, But I didn't both times,Stayed behind to fight the fire.
    One thing about a platform fire,Everyone responds,Shrimp boats and all +3 helicopters, Fun times in the gulf!

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Added bonus2 platform fires where we were instructed to evacuate, But I didn't both times,Stayed behind to fight the fire.
    One thing about a platform fire,Everyone responds,Shrimp boats and all +3 helicopters, Fun times in the gulf!

Fight fire or jump into shark infested waters. I’m taking my chances with the fire lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Maybe your right....Its those crazy trigger fish that are territorial lil suckers,Guess that's why I never took up diving?

Had a trigger fish latch on to my dive buddy's hand between the thumb and forefinger and wouldn't let go. He had to climb into the boat with it on his hand and I had to pry it off. Mean little SOB's, they will attack especially if they are guarding eggs.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Many people don't even have a home fire extinguisher . Years ago , my neighbor jerked my back door open and screamed " FIRE " and turned around and ran back home . I grabbed my extinguisher and ran next door and put out a huge grease fire on her stove . They didn't have an extinguisher in their home .

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.

Good on you. I really expected more firefighters to speak up on this thread.
    A bit disappointed.

Fight fire or jump into shark infested waters. I’m taking my chances with the fire lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd fight it until I had to retreat. I'd rather face sharks than burn.

Many people don't even have a home fire extinguisher . Years ago , my neighbor jerked my back door open and screamed " FIRE " and turned around and ran back home . I grabbed my extinguisher and ran next door and put out a huge grease fire on her stove . They didn't have an extinguisher in their home .

I hope she corrected that situation. Everyone should have, and know how to use, a fire extinguisher.
    A fire extinguisher and smoke alarms combined are a whole lot cheaper than a carry weapon, and much more likely to save your family's life.

That's a great deal. I think I'll pick up a pair, and put one in the back of my truck.

Thank You

Well done sir.

;)

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    I check it regularly, but only practice once a year or so.

At least it has 1000 lumens....

kg9ii5lxsy52dlq1gj.jpg
    :D

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I replace my extinguishers as they expire. I generally move the expired one out near my BBQ pit, in the backyard.

My grill caught on fire once. I had to use that extinguisher.

It does take a little practice to put out a fire effectively.

Taking a class, or getting some training wouldn't be a horrible idea.

The most important thing though, is to have working smoke detectors, and a current fire extinguisher.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I replace my extinguishers as they expire. I generally move the expired one out near my BBQ pit, in the backyard.

My grill caught on fire once. I had to use that extinguisher.

It does take a little practice to put out a fire effectively.

Taking a class, or getting some training wouldn't be a horrible idea.

The most important thing though, is to have working smoke detectors, and a current fire extinguisher.

I’ve had some small fires in the garage couple times. I keep one in the garage and one next to the stove. I never had to use them to put out a fire. I’ve smothered a couple.

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i practice yearly with the kids. each gets a turn putting out a gasoline fire in the grass and a metal bowl.
    extinguishers are cheap and practice is valuable.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom