It's Your Ammo Not Your Pistol!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Holy Crap! I found the thread that I posted after I got the answers from the gun manufacturers that designed and manufactured the guns of the companies that I called to find out what the gun manufacturers thought about using the slide lock on their respective guns. I didn't remember that I did that.

Went back and read it and can you believe that even though I got these companies to give us their official stance on this practice, there were people on here that actually still thought they knew better?!? :shocked:

Wow!

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Holy Crap! I found the thread that I posted after I got the answers from the gun manufacturers that designed and manufactured the guns of the companies that I called to find out what the gun manufacturers thought about using the slide lock on their respective guns. I didn't remember that I did that.

Went back and read it and can you believe that even though I got these companies to give us their official stance on this practice, there were people on here that actually still thought they knew better?!? :shocked:

Wow!

I’m shocked. Surely not here.:mamoru:

Out of morbid curiosity I’m guessing they said using the slide release they designed to work would work just fine?

Personally that is a matter of function as much as it is a matter of training to do the same macro motion on every gun so you don’t have to use a finer motor skill or possibly break your shooting grip to send the bolt home.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I’m shocked. Surely not here.:mamoru:

Out of morbid curiosity I’m guessing they said using the slide release they designed to work would work just fine?

Personally that is a matter of function as much as it is a matter of training to do the same macro motion on every gun so you don’t have to use a finer motor skill or possibly break your shooting grip to send the bolt home.

Surprisingly some did, some didn't! See for yourself below.

Slide Locks/Stops - Gun Mfgs Positions Right vs Wrong-Update!

Okay, you can debate this further if you want, but here are the responses of the actual Gun Makers on whether you should or shouldn't use the slide lock/stop to chamber a round.

Glock's official position is;

"We do not advise people to disengage the slide stop to cycle a round."

Reason: Wear on the notch.

Smith & Wesson's official response:

"Doesn't matter which method is used, either is acceptable for S&W pistols, however, we acknowledge that some instructors encourage the traditional racking of the slide as a beneficial motor skill to learn for stressful situations. And, we also acknowledge that speed shooters may prefer to release the slide lock manually. Regrdless of each, either method works on S&W pistols."

Explanation: No appreciable wear on slide, slide stop, or pistol mechanics.

Springfield Armory's official response:

"Either method works! We don't promote one method over the other as far as the workings of the pistol are concerned."

Explanation: Wear is usually not an issue.

Sig Sauer's official response:

"The official answer is that use of the Slide Catch Lever to release the slide is only used during an Armorer's inspection of the pistol to check it's tension and function. As you will notice, the SCL has much more tension that many other manufacturers, especially if the magazine is empty. Our guns are designed to be slingshot with the cocking serrations on the slide to load the first round of a magazine. You can use that function, but with some guns it can be a two thumb effort! No harm will come from utilizing that technique, it will just be harder than many are used to."

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Okay, you can debate this further if you want, but here are the responses of the actual Gun Makers on whether you should or shouldn't use the slide lock/stop to chamber a round.

"Doesn't matter which method is used, either is acceptable for S&W pistols, however, we acknowledge that some instructors encourage the traditional racking of the slide as a beneficial motor skill to learn for stressful situations. And, we also acknowledge that speed shooters may prefer to release the slide lock manually. Regrdless of each, either method works on S&W pistols."

"Either method works! We don't promote one method over the other as far as the workings of the pistol are concerned."

"The official answer is that use of the Slide Catch Lever to release the slide is only used during an Armorer's inspection of the pistol to check it's tension and function. As you will notice, the SCL has much more tension that many other manufacturers, especially if the magazine is empty. Our guns are designed to be slingshot with the cocking serrations on the slide to load the first round of a magazine. You can use that function, but with some guns it can be a two thumb effort! No harm will come from utilizing that technique, it will just be harder than many are used to."

Hummm. Wear wasn’t even a thought

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Hummm. Wear wasn’t even a thought

Only Glock!

I'll tell you what though, that Sig response is dead on accurate. All my Sig pistols have one hell of a spring and it is noticeably more difficult to use the slide lock to release the slide than other brands I have.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As for the bear, I kind of hope you are kidding about that. I entered that into the story to stop the nonsense about me giving a crap where my bullets are flying if I am fighting for my life.

You've made it quite clear you don't give a crap where they are landing. You're ok with killing innocent people so you won't have to take a stand. And that's fine. It helps to know someone's mindset in case what they say needs some context.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You've made it quite clear you don't give a crap where they are landing. You're ok with killing innocent people so you won't have to take a stand. And that's fine. It helps to know someone's mindset in case what they say needs some context.

Welcome back!

You know, it's not as reckless as you make it sound, and that is because the likelihood of hitting someone with errant bullets is very low for me, and in general. Did you know that over 80% of gun related crimes are committed at night in places where there are few people? I'm not talking about a gathering of hood rats or white thrash bags outside a nightclub or a convenient store.

And then let's focus on my habits. When I get home from work, I generally stay home. I very seldom venture into places known as dubious or unsavory. I won't stop at convenient stores in bad neighborhoods or get gas on Plank Road at night (or day for that matter). I don't go to bars or nightclubs a lot anymore, mostly because I can't bring my gun in without being afoul of the law. When I do, it's places near my home and they are not holes in the walls. I would confidently describe my chances of being held up pretty low. Now, that doesn't mean I am naive. I certainly understand that it could happen anywhere, but I live in a constant state of awareness. A scumbag criminal will NOT get the jump on me. It's actually kind of shitty that I live like that, but that is the world we live in.

Look, I'm playing the odds. They are in my favor of not getting in a deadly situation, and they are in an innocent bystanders favor of me not hitting them because of that. Don't discount my level of accuracy and proficiency either. Nor my critical thinking skills. My biggest downside is the SIP factor of a situation. But I am prepared! I can't honestly say I will perform like John Wick (shout out to jdavid1), but I will be as prepared as anyone. And another consideration; depending on where I am, or what I perceive to be the situation, I may just give up my wallet. Maybe that will be the best plan of action at that time. Can't know beforehand. "Fluidity!"

But please remember this Emperor original quote: "A coin can land either heads or tails, but only if tossed!" If I am forced to toss that coin for my life, I am not going out easily.

Almost forgot: If you didn't go back and review some of the new comments since yesterday, I was hitting that steel the more I ran that exercise.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Welcome back!

You know, it's not as reckless as you make it sound, and that is because the likelihood of hitting someone with errant bullets is very low for me, and in general. Did you know that over 80% of gun related crimes are committed at night in places where there are few people? I'm not talking about a gathering of hood rats or white thrash bags outside a nightclub or a convenient store.

And then let's focus on my habits. When I get home from work, I generally stay home. I very seldom venture into places known as dubious or unsavory. I won't stop at convenient stores in bad neighborhoods or get gas on Plank Road at night (or day for that matter). I don't go to bars or nightclubs a lot anymore, mostly because I can't bring my gun in without being afoul of the law. When I do, it's places near my home and they are not holes in the walls. I would confidently describe my chances of being held up pretty low. Now, that doesn't mean I am naive. I certainly understand that it could happen anywhere, but I live in a constant state of awareness. A scumbag criminal will NOT get the jump on me. It's actually kind of shitty that I live like that, but that is the world we live in.

Look, I'm playing the odds. They are in my favor of not getting in a deadly situation, and they are in an innocent bystanders favor of me not hitting them because of that. Don't discount my level of accuracy and proficiency either. Nor my critical thinking skills. My biggest downside is the SIP factor of a situation. But I am prepared! I can't honestly say I will perform like John Wick (shout out to jdavid1), but I will be as prepared as anyone. And another consideration; depending on where I am, or what I perceive to be the situation, I may just give up my wallet. Maybe that will be the best plan of action at that time. Can't know beforehand. "Fluidity!"

But please remember this Emperor original quote: "A coin can land either heads or tails, but only if tossed!" If I am forced to toss that coin for my life, I am not going out easily.

Almost forgot: If you didn't go back and review some of the new comments since yesterday, I was hitting that steel the more I ran that exercise.

I did read all of the comments on here. I liked it when a white knight came to your rescue. It was cute.

You're pulling the trigger without knowing just where your weapon is aimed and without knowing if the threat has moved at the moment you pull the trigger. You're aiming in the general area of where you believe the threat used to be. I feel that's an accurate description of the technique you described earlier on in the thread.

Yes, you are playing the odds. And you are ok with decreasing the odds for anyone around as long as your odds are raised. Hey, if you're comfortable with that, then you're comfortable with that.

I did see were you posted you were hitting the steel. You got 5 shots off before you made it 2 steps. That's not shooting while running at full speed. If you started out facing the threat, you would have likely gotten most of those shots off before you were turned away from the threat. There's a huge difference between that and shooting behind you at a full run.

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    I did read all of the comments on here. I liked it when a white knight came to your rescue. It was cute.

You're pulling the trigger without knowing just where your weapon is aimed and without knowing if the threat has moved at the moment you pull the trigger. You're aiming in the general area of where you believe the threat used to be. I feel that's an accurate description of the technique you described earlier on in the thread.

Yes, you are playing the odds. And you are ok with decreasing the odds for anyone around as long as your odds are raised. Hey, if you're comfortable with that, then you're comfortable with that.

I did see were you posted you were hitting the steel. You got 5 shots off before you made it 2 steps. That's not shooting while running at full speed. If you started out facing the threat, you would have likely gotten most of those shots off before you were turned away from the threat. There's a huge difference between that and shooting behind you at a full run.

I agree with this assessment. Why not throw 5 accurate shots, and then run rather than haphazardly lobbing rounds down range. We practice moving and shooting, even do it one handed, and offhand. Never running away though. If we must retreat and shoot we back step. It is much easier to stay on your feet and in the fight if you take your punches from the front. The back exposes your spine, and your momentum is working against you.

The way you talk about your level of training, and awareness. I wonder why you don't just move from cover to cover in every day life? I am just poking fun now. I really don't care what you or anyone else does for that matter. I am glad you are actively training. No matter what anyone says, if you can justify the need for a particular skill, who is to tell you differently. End of the day we are debating tactics now, and I am no more right than the next guy.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

For all intent and purpose, you are splitting hairs. When I take off from my position, I am running. 2 steps? 3? That particular example was to illustrate to that member how fast rounds can be fired from a pistol. It does not change any aspects of what I have stated the exercise is or was. But we don't need to discuss the physical motions anymore. That is the way it is done. I will say yet again, I am firing behind me in the direction that the threat was standing when I took off. It is not as difficult or as impossible as you allude. It is done with purpose; and the more I did it, the more accurate I got. Remember, it was the very first time I ever tried this!

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Wish Beretta would have chimed in on the 92 (not really) as on a mag change with any of my 92/96 pistols, I just give it a little extra slap pushing in the mag and the release falls, slide slams a round in the pipe and I’m back on the trigger. No need to touch the slide.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Pardon me if this is too egotestical (yes I know I misspelled it), but I think the last time someone said something about a white knight it was about me. You ain’t referring to me are you?

I don’t recall defending anyone, but what the hell if I’m the white knight you are talking about can someone change my handle to ‘The White Knight?’ (With the question mark)

If not carry on.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom