It's Your Ammo Not Your Pistol!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Your intent does not matter. I have a mental picture of what the technique may look like. Hence, this and other replies. While you may have not started this thread with the intent of having someone duplicate your training, there is noting to prevent someone from duplicating your training. So every time you or I or Dave or anyone discusses any potentially dangerous training, it will be discussed. That is where we are now and that is where we were before. And if someone somewhere describes a dangerous technique, we will be there as well, regardless of the context of the post in which the technique was described.

Fair enough! What do I need to add to help people better understand where we are at?

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    Production is a tough division. Especially with the last two matches out there. You will get better with time, or just switch to another division like I did. My initials are T.D. I've been shooting PCC the last few times out there trying to get classified in that. I'm about to switch to Carry optics to give that division a try.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Fair enough! What do I need to add to help people better understand where we are at?

Since we're discussing ammunition related malfunctions that happened during a specific drill, can you explain what the drill entails and how you would remedy the issue?

I fully understand that the real world isn't a flat range, but it's difficult to practice something that may require pointing the barrel uprange without having a range with 360 degree coverage.

man-hand-point-up-with-finger-isolated-on-white-backgroundcopy-space-picture-id1075016544

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    With all due respect, I do not know who you are. One thing I can probably correctly guess is you have no idea what my situation is or what I may have as a range or what I can and can't safely do there.

You're right. I don't know you or your situation. If I understand your drill correctly, you could be in a 360 berm range and your drill still sounds dangerous and unnecessary. Maybe I am misunderstanding your drill. Could you post a video of a similar drill?

But, if snide backhanded comments (John Wick), are your thing;

They are.

This place has had a litany of some of the best backhanded comment throwers I've ever seen! ;)

Looking forward to the challenge.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Production is a tough division. Especially with the last two matches out there. You will get better with time, or just switch to another division like I did. My initials are T.D. I've been shooting PCC the last few times out there trying to get classified in that. I'm about to switch to Carry optics to give that division a try.

Yeah, I think we talked after the match by my suv.

I’m shooting production until I get classified and I’m probably going to go limited minor. I may get a PCC too. I don’t know yet.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Since we're discussing ammunition related malfunctions that happened during a specific drill, can you explain what the drill entails and how you would remedy the issue?

I fully understand that the real world isn't a flat range, but it's difficult to practice something that may require pointing the barrel uprange without having a range with 360 degree coverage.

Fair enough!

The drill was introduced to me by Patrick Kilchermen. He founded Concealed Carry University! He was at one time a higher up at USCCA. He may or may not have designed this drill! It is to simulate defending yourself from an immediate threat (shooting once or twice even), and then hauling ass to put some distance between you and the threat. As we all know, a threat is still a threat until the threat is completely disabled or killed. The run and shoot is designed to offer some time to gain distance and to possible stop the threat from shooting at you in the back as you are getting away. Even suppressive fire will most likely deter a threat from honing in on an aim point unless he/she has nerves of steel. He stresses the importance of always watching where you are running to avoid a fall or trip, and possibly an accidental disarming, or worse; hence the shooting behind you. The drill is inherently dangerous because, yes; you are possibly throwing bullets blindly behind you. Practicing this shooting technique is dangerous. You must have a safe place in which you can perform this. Most don't! I do! Ultimately, it is a situation where you know you are in imminent danger of being killed, and if you are; you are either going to throw bullets behind you as you are escaping, or you are not. There are videos of it. It looks just as sound a technique for its purpose as any other technique I've seen for their particular purposes.

Where I shoot, it is fraught with uneven ground, wet areas, mud, trees, etc. I have a lot of room for error and have no chance of striking a fellow shooter or anyone else, unless I deliberately choose to do so.

Out of safety, I would not try this if you cannot safely perform this where you shoot. But we are grown ups, you can decide for yourselves.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Fair enough!

The drill was introduced to me by Patrick Kilchermen. He founded Concealed Carry University! He was at one time a higher up at USCCA. He may or may not have designed this drill! It is to simulate defending yourself from an immediate threat (shooting once or twice even), and then hauling ass to put some distance between you and the threat. As we all know, a threat is still a threat until the threat is completely disabled or killed. The run and shoot is designed to offer some time to gain distance and to possible stop the threat from shooting at you in the back as you are getting away. Even suppressive fire will most likely deter a threat from honing in on an aim point unless he/she has nerves of steel. He stresses the importance of always watching where you are running to avoid a fall or trip, and possibly an accidental disarming, or worse; hence the shooting behind you. The drill is inherently dangerous because, yes; you are possibly throwing bullets blindly behind you. Practicing this shooting technique is dangerous. You must have a safe place in which you can perform this. Most don't! I do! Ultimately, it is a situation where you know you are in imminent danger of being killed, and if you are; you are either going to throw bullets behind you as you are escaping, or you are not. There are videos of it. It looks just as sound a technique for its purpose and any other technique I've seen for their particular purposes.

Where I shoot, it is fraught with uneven ground, wet areas, mud, trees, etc. I have a lot of room for error and have no chance of striking a fellow shooter or anyone else, unless I deliberately choose to do so.

Out of safety, I would not try this if you cannot safely perform this where you shoot. But we are grown ups, you can decide for yourselves.

When skilled shooters can make C zone hits at 10-15 yards in increments of 0.20-30 second splits, why would you be concerned with running away?

The adage is "shoot to stop the threat." It's not "shoot a little and run away while shooting."

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Stay on it. I learned from some really good shooters. They are great guys! They used to win all the time in their classes. Those matches are a kick in the ass too. I just didn't have the time as much, and when it's hot; forget it! Now, hunting season is on and I am all in on that.

I would love to shoot a match with you some day!

There’s been some changes at home (for the better) and I have time on my weekends off to shoot in matches so I’ve been slowly wading into the water. I really enjoy it and my shooting is getting better. The shooting and moving is fun. Stage planning is a major part of it too and it’s kinda fun when your plan falls apart and you just have to wing it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    When skilled shooters can make C zone hits at 10-15 yards in increments of 0.20-30 second splits, why would you be concerned with running away?

The adage is "shoot to stop the threat." It's not "shoot a little and run away while shooting."

My quick response may be; body armor?!?

A more thoughtful response may be a self defense scenario is as fluid as a waterfall. If there was a one-size fits all solution to EVERY scenario, this CC thing would be a breeze! I have, and I know you have, seen enough videos of actual shooting caught on tape to know that many of them play out differently and outside of what we may have thought was the scripted outcome.

I guess what I am meaning is, this drill is but one of what; hundreds?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

A more thoughtful response may be a self defense scenario is as fluid as a waterfall. If there was a one-size fits all solution to EVERY scenario, this CC thing would be a breeze! I have, and I know you have, seen enough videos of actual shooting caught on tape to know that many of them play out differently and outside of what we may have thought was the scripted outcome.

It's one drill that seems to be used as a catch-all. Perhaps I'm wrong.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Yes, there are many drills. What specific techniques are sharpened during the "run away while randomly shooting behind you" drill?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It's one drill that seems to be used as a catch-all. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Perhaps!

Besides, I have heard countless people on here, in self defense videos, elsewhere say they aren't sticking around to see what happens next in some scenario's. I know I have written on this forum a few times myself. I have kids and a wife. My throw caution to the wind and fight it out with a possible nutjob or killer to see who is the last man standing attitude died in high school. If I can get the hell out of dodge instead of standing there trading bullets, I'm a wisp of smoke. If tossing a few bullets behind me helps to that end, I'm throwing them.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm just kind of confused still. Let's add direction to it and an X/Y plane:

Bad guy is at coordinate (5, 10)
    You are at coordinate (5, 5), 5 units south of bad guy. He is 5 units north of you.

I assume you get off the x, and you move in a direction that is (possibly, though not required) related to what hand the guy is holding a gun in. Lets say you move southwest to (3, 3). That's getting off the X.

Now to where I am confused: Are you facing bad guy (5,10), still, and backing up while shooting? Or are you facing south, running, and trying to hit the target while faced away? That's what this drill has sounded like so far. Do initial shots take place as you move off the X?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yes, there are many drills. What specific techniques are sharpened during the "run away while randomly shooting behind you" drill?

I don't have a definitive answer to that yet. I do know that before that outing, I never tried to actually run away from a target (threat), at full draw or not. Much less while shooting, whether suppressive or with intent to kill. It was exhilarating to say the least. It was liberating after that. It's not necessarily random when you try it and start realizing it takes some practice and ultimately some skill to hit that steel plate as you are hauling ass.

One thing that I know people are not trying enough if at all, is running away from ANY threat with their gun in hand. Try it, if you haven't. You'll find yourself thinking about it. You'll damn sure be thinking about where you are running to and what is in front of you. And that is what training is all about right? To get better at something, anything, that could put us in a better position to survive?

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    I'm a wisp of smoke. If tossing a few bullets behind me helps to that end, I'm throwing them.

Yeah, don't worry about that whole "you are responsible for every shot you fire" thing. Just throw rounds at random while looking the other way. Are you seriously not seeing how this is ridiculous and unsafe in any environment?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I'm just kind of confused still. Let's add direction to it and an X/Y plane:

Bad guy is at coordinate (5, 10)
    You are at coordinate (5, 5), 5 units south of bad guy. He is 5 units north of you.

I assume you get off the x, and you move in a direction that is (possibly, though not required) related to what hand the guy is holding a gun in. Lets say you move southwest to (3, 3). That's getting off the X.

Now to where I am confused: Are you facing bad guy (5,10), still, and backing up while shooting? Or are you facing south, running, and trying to hit the target while faced away? That's what this drill has sounded like so far. Do initial shots take place as you move off the X?

Not you too! :D Just kidding!

I assume you get off the x, and you move in a direction that is (possibly, though not required) related to what hand the guy is holding a gun in.

Yes, and no. But for the most part, you are putting "any" distance between you and the threat.

Are you facing bad guy (5,10), still, and backing up while shooting? Or are you facing south, running, and trying to hit the target while faced away? That's what this drill has sounded like so far. Do initial shots take place as you move off the X?

You are running away. I suppose if you were so inclined, you could run zig-zag, or east or west. The idea is to get off of the x (the spot where you are at when an imminent possibly deadly scenario begins).

Top Bottom