Questions about flying with a gun acquired from private trade

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Agreed!

and regarding TSA locks why do sites even say I need those????

Probably should say "TSA approved locks". When my sister flew home, she locked both built in locks on the case. The TSA guy said "those aren't" and stopped when I popped on two Master padlocks.

lottem

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    My experience has been:

Long guns unloaded in their own non accessible case locked with non TSA locks that you have the key to. The airline may or may not inspect them. You will retrieve them from the airline baggage counter.
    Handguns in their own non accessible case locked with non TSA locks that you have the key to. The airline may or may not inspect them. Had gun cases can go in your checked luggage. Depending on the airline you will either retrieve them from the baggage carousel or the baggage claim office. Ammunition up to 11 (Alaska Air 50) pounds in boxes designed to carry small amounts of ammo so that the primers do not touch may be carried in your checked luggage separate from your gun case. Some airlines may allow ammunition in your gun case. Check with your airlines web page. Rumor has it that ammo may be carried in magazines as long as the primers are protected. (I have not tried that.).
    I have flown to Phoenix (PHX) from New Orleans (MSY) and back a couple of times a year. In New Orleans you ask for a firearms declaration, the airline tapes it to (or inside) your gun case (luggage), the luggage goes thru the scanner and you are on your way. In Phoenix you ask for a firearms declaration, the agent tapes it to (or inside) your gun case, the agent calls TSA who takes your gun case, opens the case, inspects the contents, and sends the gun case/luggage on it's way. The inspection is done in your full view.
    Some airlines have rules more stringent than TSA. Make sure that you check their website carefully. Be aware that some airlines have contracted out some segments of their routes to smaller carriers that may have onerous rules about transport of firearms.

Top Bottom