Questions about flying with a gun acquired from private trade

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arbiterk

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 23, 2018
    Mandeville, LA
    I am getting ready to fly out to Arizona at the end of the month, with a 40minute layover in Los Angeles. I have a pistol I acquired from a private trade here and had some questions about flying with it. I am aware of the generic TSA rules about it needing to be unloaded and ammo in a proper box, but some other specifics I am concerned about.

1) they weren’t super specific about how the gun needs to be packed up, and by that I mean if I have a travel case for it, does the gun have to have the magazines all separate in the case (meaning not one empty mag in gun and rest in the case elsewhere)?

2) on that note above, regarding the ammo I know it cannot be loaded in guns mags (or LOADED loaded), but like question #1 can I have my mags, ammo and gun all in the same travel case at all or do I need a separate case to put the ammo/mags in apart from the firearms itself? It seems like a dumb question but if there is separate compartments in the gun case I’m using, can I put gun, mags, and (boxed) ammo in one case?

3) considering the layover in Los Angeles and California being well, California, will me landing in California at all be an issue with the firearms if it’s with checked baggage? I didn’t know if I had to get it and re-check it in on layovers etc or does it show up with my checked luggage at the end of the trip not during?

4) on that note about luggage, do I get to keep it inside my main suitcase (my guncase inside it I mean) or does it stay separate from it during flight? I read somewhere I must pick it up from a desk or something at end of flight but the wording was vague on website.

5) considering it’s a private exchange that I acquired this pistol, will this raise issues? Or should I stick with a pistol acquired via an FFL myself?

i appreciate any help with this, I just wanna make sure having one checked in guncase holding everything and such is not gonna be an issue, even with a 40min layover in Commiefornia.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I think it may be helpful to read these:
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/flying-with-firearms/

1/2) From my understanding, you can have boxes of ammunition and empty mags in the same box as your unloaded firearm. Ammunition should be in factory cardboard boxes or specific ammo-carriers.

3) It might be a good idea for you to call California State Police and ask them this question, or ask an attorney. I know there are some rules for interstate travel, but Cali and NYC like to blur lines. If you can get something in writing from Cali ST PD, that may be a good idea as well. Generally, in non-international layovers, you do not receive your checked baggage and it stays in secure areas.

4) Your hard-shell, locked, gun-case is a separate bag from your normal checked baggage with clothes and etc. It cannot be in the checked baggage. You need to specifically declare the locked case containing a firearm. Each airline has their own procedures. You should Google the airline name + checked firearm. I also recommend printing the airline's policy on it and bringing it with you, in case the agents give you trouble.

5) I don't think it would cause any issue unless you are traveling to a state that requires firearms to be registered to an owner. Even then, I'm not sure how those laws work. Best to contact a local attorney or the state police in the state you are going to.

Disclaimer: A lot of the above questions are my opinion based on prior knowledge and research. Many of the answers you are looking for are legal questions and you really should consult an attorney if you think you may accidentally break any state's laws. You should also become an expert on your individual airline's rules and policies related to checking a firearm, prior to your trip. They will have documentation online and guides.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think it may be helpful to read these:
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/flying-with-firearms/

1/2) From my understanding, you can have boxes of ammunition and empty mags in the same box as your unloaded firearm. Ammunition should be in factory cardboard boxes or specific ammo-carriers.

3) It might be a good idea for you to call California State Police and ask them this question, or ask an attorney. I know there are some rules for interstate travel, but Cali and NYC like to blur lines. If you can get something in writing from Cali ST PD, that may be a good idea as well. Generally, in non-international layovers, you do not receive your checked baggage and it stays in secure areas.

4) Your hard-shell, locked, gun-case is a separate bag from your normal checked baggage with clothes and etc. It cannot be in the checked baggage. You need to specifically declare the locked case containing a firearm. Each airline has their own procedures. You should Google the airline name + checked firearm. I also recommend printing the airline's policy on it and bringing it with you, in case the agents give you trouble.

5) I don't think it would cause any issue unless you are traveling to a state that requires firearms to be registered to an owner. Even then, I'm not sure how those laws work. Best to contact a local attorney or the state police in the state you are going to.

Disclaimer: A lot of the above questions are my opinion based on prior knowledge and research. Many of the answers you are looking for are legal questions and you really should consult an attorney if you think you may accidentally break any state's laws. You should also become an expert on your individual airline's rules and policies related to checking a firearm, prior to your trip. They will have documentation online and guides.

4) Every time I have flown with a pistol, I have had a locked hard case inside my check in bag. The gun case has never served as it's own check in bag. It's been a few years so the rules may have changed? The checked bag with the case inside has always been retrieved at the normal baggage carousel. It's mainly been southwest. They have never put any labels on the outside of the checked bag but have put a tag on the case itself inside the bag.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    4) Every time I have flown with a pistol, I have had a locked hard case inside my check in bag. The gun case has never served as it's own check in bag. It's been a few years so the rules may have changed? The checked bag with the case inside has always been retrieved at the normal baggage carousel. It's mainly been southwest. They have never put any labels on the outside of the checked bag but have put a tag on the case itself inside the bag.

I've never flown with a pistol. A hunting rifle and shotguns, yes. Last time I did that, I had to purchase special TSA locks that they also can open. Is that not still the way of the flying world regardless of where you stow your firearm?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I've never flown with a pistol. A hunting rifle and shotguns, yes. Last time I did that, I had to purchase special TSA locks that they also can open. Is that not still the way of the flying world regardless of where you stow your firearm?

TSA specifically requires that you use locks that only you have a key to (that they cannot get into).

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Earlier this year, my sister flew down from Louisville (boy, were her arms tired!), and took back an AR I built for her. Declare the firearm at the ticket counter, they will check it ain't loaded, hard sided case, locked & you keep the key. The case is marked for special handling and does not go on the carrousel at the other end, it must be picked up at the baggage management office.

Can the hard pistol case be placed inside your checked bag? Not sure, you might want to call the airline and ask.

Don't carry ammo if possible, it can set off the explosive chemical detector. Yep, it did and they had to re-inspect everything.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    Every time I fly I have a checked firearm and ammo. Granted I have creds so I put my badge in the case and they can see that when they X-ray the case (they will remove it from your check bag and X-ray it at every layover - info from an SES-2 DHS guy who formerly ran TSA at philly airport, and currently runs either LAX or SFO but I don’t recall which). Do not take possession or attempt to take possession of your check bag during a layover with a firearm unless your CCW is valid at your layover location. Otherwise they know it’s in there and that legally constitutes constructive possession. Constructive possession is what gets all the folks flying thru JFK and LaGuardia. It’s 100% not a federal thing - it’s local airport police losing their minds trying to make a bust by grossly misinterpreting “peaceable journey” laws. If your connecting flight gets cancelled, grab the nearest TSA agent and tell them what’s going on. They’ll more than likely take custody of your bag and hold it until it needs to be checked for your rescheduled flight.

Safe travels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Earlier this year, my sister flew down from Louisville (boy, were her arms tired!), and took back an AR I built for her. Declare the firearm at the ticket counter, they will check it ain't loaded, hard sided case, locked & you keep the key. The case is marked for special handling and does not go on the carrousel at the other end, it must be picked up at the baggage management office.

Can the hard pistol case be placed inside your checked bag? Not sure, you might want to call the airline and ask.

Don't carry ammo if possible, it can set off the explosive chemical detector. Yep, it did and they had to re-inspect everything.

The last time I flew, a couple of years ago, on Southwest, the hard case could be put inside the checked bag. As I said before, Southwest didn't put markings on the check-in bag. And they had me wait until the bag went through the sniffer machine in case there was an issue.

https://www.southwest.com/html/cust...ge_special_luggage_pol_tab_list_tab_10_scroll

Last edited:

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Gun must be locked in a hard case with 2 locks that only you have keys for, can be keyed alike. Ammo in a factory box or specific ammo container, mags unloaded and stored in box.
    My case was never opened or even inspected closely, just need to sign the form and it’s placed on the case. Hang around the scan area until your bag clears, if there is an issue your available to assist. Once cleared, your OK. Give yourself some extra time for check in.
    Seems to matter what airport for departure as the TSA doesn’t train all personnel equally; MSY was a bunch of statements about the locks were preferred to be TSA (which is totally false). Cody Wyoming wasn’t even questioned, was told to sign the form and place it on the case myself. Case should be stored in checked luggage bag. Case should be constructed that while locked, if latches were opened, you can’t ease a finger in and touch the firearm.
    Read the requirements on the TSA and the airlines website, it can be different. Stick to the more stringent requirement and you should be GTG.
    I don’t think how you came to own the firearm matters; although I haven’t been to Cali.
    NY was a visit to Camp Drum, I knew no private firearms allowed on base.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I used to fly pretty regularly with a handgun in my checked bag, but it's been about two years. And I'm not a lawyer, so none of this is legal advice. Just reflections on my past experience.

To travel with a gun in my checked bag, I would put the unloaded gun in a lockable case for which I had the keys. As was stated earlier, this would *not* be a TSA lock that they could get into. The magazine would be loaded with ammunition and was also in the locked case, but it was never inserted into the gun. I would put the locked case in my checked on bag, and I would declare that I had a handgun in my bag at the ticket counter. Each airline had its own policy, and I sometimes had to fill out a small form ... usually only took a minute.

Most ticket agents would ask me to hang around for a few minutes while the bag went through the X ray machine. In one case I was asked to open the bag so that the pistol could be inspected, which was nothing more than a visual inspection to ensure that the chamber was empty (curiously, they had me handle the firearm, which I was happy to do).

To my knowledge the bag was never opened, and I just waited for it at the carousel as I would any other bag. In one case I had a bag that missed a connecting flight, and they simply sent the bag on a later flight and delivered it to my hotel. The gun arrived just fine and the person transporting my bag was none the wiser.

Mike

Arbiterk

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 23, 2018
    Mandeville, LA
    So what I am getting out of this is:

1) storing everything in one container is ok (when unloaded of course etc)

2) reading the California webpage, the layover is not going to be an issue because in an airport the California laws aren’t going to nab me, especially since I am not even handling the box there, only when I pick up in Arizona at end of flights.

3) the only thing left to figure out is if it can fly inside my checked luggage or not, and if I need tsa locks or not.

I will will put locks that only I have the key for, and if no go I’ll have a set of TSA locks on hand in case that needs swapping I suppose.

Flying from New Orleans airport and end trip ending at Phoenix Arizona airport, and Vice versa for return trip

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So what I am getting out of this is:

1) storing everything in one container is ok (when unloaded of course etc)

2) reading the California webpage, the layover is not going to be an issue because in an airport the California laws aren’t going to nab me, especially since I am not even handling the box there, only when I pick up in Arizona at end of flights.

3) the only thing left to figure out is if it can fly inside my checked luggage or not, and if I need tsa locks or not.

I will will put locks that only I have the key for, and if no go I’ll have a set of TSA locks on hand in case that needs swapping I suppose.

Flying from New Orleans airport and end trip ending at Phoenix Arizona airport, and Vice versa for return trip

What airline are you flying?

And tsa locks are a no-go. Everyone behind the curtain has keys to the tsa locks. The tsa does not want them to have access to your firearms.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I'd love to hear this from a lawyer ... but my guess is that the layover in California would fall under the interstate transport provisions of FOPA.

Mike

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'd love to hear this from a lawyer ... but my guess is that the layover in California would fall under the interstate transport provisions of FOPA.

Mike

That's generally how it's supposed to work, but NYC has arrested people for the same thing in the past... :/

Arbiterk

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 23, 2018
    Mandeville, LA
    That's generally how it's supposed to work, but NYC has arrested people for the same thing in the past... :/

I won’t be handling much less even seeing my case with gun in person until Arizona if it’s checked in luggage kinda deal I imagine. Plus the Cali page for guns and travels legal stuff said airports are under the TSA or ehatnot and such regarding the firearm traveling through to somewhere else. Once I walk out with it it’s under Cali jurisdiction i believe.

For 40min layover I think I am ok.

I am flying American airline

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I won’t be handling much less even seeing my case with gun in person until Arizona if it’s checked in luggage kinda deal I imagine. Plus the Cali page for guns and travels legal stuff said airports are under the TSA or ehatnot and such regarding the firearm traveling through to somewhere else. Once I walk out with it it’s under Cali jurisdiction i believe.

For 40min layover I think I am ok.

I am flying American airline

I agree with you. I don't think Cali tried the same stuff as NYC. You should be fine, just make sure you follow all of AA's policies.

Also, if you are sitting in a Main Cabin Extra seat on AA, you get free drinks and extra legroom. They don't make it clear about the free drinks thing, so just a heads up :) I recommend their Woodford Reserve + Ginger Ale!

Arbiterk

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 23, 2018
    Mandeville, LA
    I agree with you. I don't think Cali tried the same stuff as NYC. You should be fine, just make sure you follow all of AA's policies.

Also, if you are sitting in a Main Cabin Extra seat on AA, you get free drinks and extra legroom. They don't make it clear about the free drinks thing, so just a heads up :) I recommend their Woodford Reserve + Ginger Ale!

Agreed!

and regarding TSA locks why do sites even say I need those????

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Agreed!

and regarding TSA locks why do sites even say I need those????

I think that it used to be that some airports were confused. TSA has since made it /very/ clear that they do not want their employees fiddling with guns. As such, if they need access to it, they are supposed to get you and open it in your presence.

Top Bottom