How to get rid of a TV Antenna

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I had a guy that wanted a 50 foot steel ham antenna on a house I bought. He was an Air force antenna jockey. Climbed up it and took it down section by section, lowering with a rope. Even 50 feet like that freaked me out! :noes:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I had a guy that wanted a 50 foot steel ham antenna on a house I bought. He was an Air force antenna jockey. Climbed up it and took it down section by section, lowering with a rope. Even 50 feet like that freaked me out! :noes:

Ive dropped a couple decent size pine trees (+60ft) using guild ropes and a proper hinge cut and it’s nerve racking till the top touches the earth.

I have a couple behemoths that need to come down and I’ve been talking myself into and out of doing it myself for 2years. I can’t get my arms around them at the base.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    In my younger days , I climbed a few 100' + and carried/installed antennas, stacking kits, rotors, cabling, guy wires, etc. it was kind of unnerving working 20-25' about the last set of guy wires

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    In my younger days , I climbed a few 100' + and carried/installed antennas, stacking kits, rotors, cabling, guy wires, etc. it was kind of unnerving working 20-25' about the last set of guy wires

That’s about the height stuff starts swaying in the wind. No thank you lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Yep you did.

George "Sugar Bear" just sold his house in Central. He climbed his tower and took it down Wasn't it something like 180'

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    May have been, I seem to recall, he, Smooth, BJ, Papa and a couple others around 144-150'

Oilman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    Looking at these tall structures brings to mind a question that I have had for a while. No building will last forever and will eventually need to be removed. Most are either torn down or imploded. So what do you do with very tall buildings in a dense urban area? When the twin towers came down they came straight down with the floors pancaking one on top the other but the rubble covered ten blocks in all directions. So a building that large is obviously too large to be imploded. So how do you remove a building like that when it deteriorates to the point where it is unsafe? Would the only way be to start at the top with cutting torches and cut it apart piece by piece and lower the pieces to the ground by cranes in a reverse of the way it was built? It seems like it would cost a nine figure amount to dismantle something that big. There are now buildings in the world that are much taller that the twin towers were and they are in dense urban areas where implosion is not an option for something that big. So how would it done?

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Looking at these tall structures brings to mind a question that I have had for a while. No building will last forever and will eventually need to be removed. Most are either torn down or imploded. So what do you do with very tall buildings in a dense urban area? When the twin towers came down they came straight down with the floors pancaking one on top the other but the rubble covered ten blocks in all directions. So a building that large is obviously too large to be imploded. So how do you remove a building like that when it deteriorates to the point where it is unsafe? Would the only way be to start at the top with cutting torches and cut it apart piece by piece and lower the pieces to the ground by cranes in a reverse of the way it was built? It seems like it would cost a nine figure amount to dismantle something that big. There are not buildings in the world that are much taller that the twin towers were and they are in dense urban areas where implosion is not an option for something that big. So how would it done?

Sometimes that’s all you can do. I don’t have first hand experience with New York High Rises, but I recall looking at a case study in a CPE course last year on contracts and that is exactly what a contract was for piece mill demolition. They ended up having a structure fire after all the fire suppression had been demo’ed. I don’t recall the whole case but it sounded like a S-sandwich.

We have done a good deal of piece mil demo in some sensitive areas for DOD, and our crew was pulling out 20,000lb chucks of cement walls. They were from an explosion proof structure. It’s amazing how little $1,000,000 means to the government.

Top Bottom