Red Ryd-AR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    In 1,000 years when anthropologists are digging through the remains of America and stumble across this or one of those carbine Glock conversions, I would love to see their explanations. Will they know these guns were just for shits and grins or will they try to rationalize them?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    In 1,000 years when anthropologists are digging through the remains of America and stumble across this or one of those carbine Glock conversions, I would love to see their explanations. Will they know these guns were just for shits and grins or will they try to rationalize them?

Probably be auctioned off for 5 mil or so....

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Lol, Give us a review!!!

I particularly like the added bonus magazine fed action Backed up by the tubular fed lever....Or something like that?
    I’m thinking the lever is for show. And if it’s 5.56 a tube mag is definitely out, with all those firing pin tipped bullets...

You’ll shoot yer eye out kid!

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I’m thinking the lever is for show. And if it’s 5.56 a tube mag is definitely out, with all those firing pin tipped bullets...

You’ll shoot yer eye out kid!

TFB: Is Red Ryd-AR chambered in 5.56×45/.223 Remington? It looks to have a really short lever throw – can you explain how you achieved that?
    JB: The Red Ryd-AR is chambered in 223 Wylde. With the modified bolt carrier functioning like any AR, and the bolt remaining unchanged, this design should work well for any caliber used with the AR platform. I have considered building a 300BLK for testing next. The short throw is important in order to ensure a full-length magazine or a drum could still be used with the conversion. I do not plan to share specific details of the mechanics at this time.

TFB: The gun is box magazine fed. What is the tube underneath the barrel for?
    JB: The lower tube on the Red Ryd-AR is for aesthetics only, just to stay with the Red Ryder BB gun theme. I did design a camming feed system that would eliminate the box magazine, using a spring-actuated feed system that relied on the reciprocation of the BCG. While functional in theory and prototyping, I abandoned that design for a few reasons.

The first being that it would require a highly modified or specialty made lower, which would render the design as a conversion kit impractical for many novice AR builders. Another issue is the standard barrel length of an AR. With a 16* feed tube, only seven rounds of 5.56 would fit after a feed spring and push rod assembly were incorporated. Thirdly, the 5.56 cartridge was never designed to stack end to end, and would never be a safe means of cartridge storage.

The end result, the box magazine was not only more practical using less moving parts, but even the smallest AR magazine yields a higher capacity than the tube.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I love A Christmas Story. We already own a Red Ryder BB Gun and multiple AR15s. It’s neat but it’ll be made in real low numbers if at all and will cost a fortune. If you have that level of disposable income I’d say go for it. I do not have enough money to justify it.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    TFB: Is Red Ryd-AR chambered in 5.56×45/.223 Remington? It looks to have a really short lever throw – can you explain how you achieved that?
    JB: The Red Ryd-AR is chambered in 223 Wylde. With the modified bolt carrier functioning like any AR, and the bolt remaining unchanged, this design should work well for any caliber used with the AR platform. I have considered building a 300BLK for testing next. The short throw is important in order to ensure a full-length magazine or a drum could still be used with the conversion. I do not plan to share specific details of the mechanics at this time.

TFB: The gun is box magazine fed. What is the tube underneath the barrel for?
    JB: The lower tube on the Red Ryd-AR is for aesthetics only, just to stay with the Red Ryder BB gun theme. I did design a camming feed system that would eliminate the box magazine, using a spring-actuated feed system that relied on the reciprocation of the BCG. While functional in theory and prototyping, I abandoned that design for a few reasons.

The first being that it would require a highly modified or specialty made lower, which would render the design as a conversion kit impractical for many novice AR builders. Another issue is the standard barrel length of an AR. With a 16* feed tube, only seven rounds of 5.56 would fit after a feed spring and push rod assembly were incorporated. Thirdly, the 5.56 cartridge was never designed to stack end to end, and would never be a safe means of cartridge storage.

The end result, the box magazine was not only more practical using less moving parts, but even the smallest AR magazine yields a higher capacity than the tube.
    Yup

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I love A Christmas Story. We already own a Red Ryder BB Gun and multiple AR15s. It’s neat but it’ll be made in real low numbers if at all and will cost a fortune. If you have that level of disposable income I’d say go for it. I do not have enough money to justify it.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For gits and shiggles, I bought one of the adult size red ryders. They’re still pretty small and don’t appear to be any stronger than the kiddo version tho. Kinda made me think of those huge butane lighters that actually just have a regular size lighter inside...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom