Ballistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    This is my first thread post in many years on this site. Hopefully this’ll go well.

Ballistol is a product that was developed by the Germans prior to WW2. Do an internet search and read the results because history buffs will find it interesting. Anyway I read they used it like Breakfree CLP with two exceptions. One it’ll neutralize corrosive salts in primers and clean black powder residue.

Two it was used as a disinfectant in wounds.

Well as a paramedic with over 25 years on the streets the second intrigued me. So I tried it on myself, paging Dr Jekyll anyone?

Results on my minor wounds? I had a hang nail that was getting an inflammation reaction and going towards a localized infection. I put a little Ballistol on it and by the next day I noted a 100% improvement. I next tried a little on a cut in a high skin tension area that kept opening with movement. The inflammatory response was reduced and it began to heal.

These are my experiences and are therefore anecdotal. I’m not making any recommendations for you. I thought it was very interesting.

I’ll respond to civil discourse even if it disagrees with me.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Use it at least once a week. It always gets me when I inhale the stuff. Sorta takes my breath away. Not on purpose of course. Might run some on my sore joints. Might be better than DMSO.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I wonder why they didn't mention its medicinal benefits on the web site. I would; unless there was a specific reason not to promote it as such?!?

Maybe I will give them a call on Monday and ask?!? ;)

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I don’t believe that using Ballistol as a antiseptic is an approved usage of it by the manufacturer in the USA. I also read that they sell a slightly different formula specifically as an antiseptic but not in the USA. I’ve been led to believe that the antiseptic version sells better than the original formula in parts of the world.

My guess is it’s either one or those reasons or an entirely different one that I don’t know about yet.

But I did read that Ballistol was approved by the Wehrmacht to be used as an antiseptic during WW2 and that they hadn’t changed the formula so figured what the hell. A topical application on minor wounds isn’t that big of a risk. I mean I drove home from work and that’s risky in EBR.

In my capacity at work I had the opportunity to speak with someone online who was in a African county that had a German history. Sorry for the intrigue I can’t remember the name of the country. He told me that they used Ballistol all the time as a antiseptic.

Dave

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    Thanks for the information drw461 and I also like your signature quotes.

I do learn a lot from people on this site and enjoy it a lot. However, you are correct in stating that there are also a few people here who like to argue just for argument's sake. This is a giant waste of everyone else's time

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I don’t know this stuff or what is in it, but we used all kinds of chemicals that we once approved as safe and/or beneficial but later realized it caused long term side effects.

Stuff like Atrazine and Glycol-phosphate were deemed safe to use on/around crops.

At one point they thought baby formula was better than the real thing.

I’m not knocking you for trying it and it sounds like it worked, but the older I get the more I’m convinced the chemicals that surround us that are unnatural are causing so many of our medical problems

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Its actually been around since pre WW1. I use it and sell it on a regular basis. It smells like butthole and old christmas trees but it just works so goddamned good! As previously mentioned it kicks you in the throat when you smell or inhale it. Its one of my go to products for firearms.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistol

It doesn't specifically list 'butthole' as an ingredient.
    It does contain 'Anethole' though.
    So you might be on to something.

Simple green and totally awesome hit me on the throat too.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Hmm I never thought it smelled like butthole either. To me it smells like the Greek liquor Uzo or just a black licorice smell.

I understand that many people don’t care for the smell. I wonder if there’s a genetic component at work here? For example some people can’t smell keytones. While other people taste dirt when they taste broccoli.

Dave

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I started shooing more seriously about 6-7 years ago. Found Hickok.45 on youtube. He was often talking about Ballistol so I bought some. Have stayed with it ever since. It mentions use on wood and leather on the can. I have tried it on both with good results. Hadn't thought about cuts n scrapes by I may give it a go. If nothing else I'll smell better...:)

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Hmm I never thought it smelled like butthole either. To me it smells like the Greek liquor Uzo or just a black licorice smell.

I understand that many people don’t care for the smell. I wonder if there’s a genetic component at work here? For example some people can’t smell keytones. While other people taste dirt when they taste broccoli.

Dave

It's the 'Anethole'.
    - Anethole is distinctly sweet, measuring 13 times sweeter than sugar. It is perceived as being pleasant to the taste even at higher concentrations. It is used in alcoholic drinks ouzo, rakı, anisette and absinthe, among others. It is also used in seasoning and confectionery applications, oral hygiene products, and in small quantities in natural berry flavors.[5]

- Antimicrobial and antifungal activity
    Anethole has potent antimicrobial properties, against bacteria, yeasts, and fungi.[9] Reported antibacterial properties include both bacteriostatic and bactericidal action against Salmonella enterica[10] but not when used against Salmonella via a fumigation method.[11] Antifungal activity includes increasing the effectiveness of some other phytochemicals (such as polygodial) against Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Candida albicans;[12]

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    I cannot tell you how many elderly patients told me long ago kerosene soaked rags were used on wounds to prevent infection. They swear by it. One patient told me his leg wound was so infected they were talking amputation but was saved by kerosene. Maybe you are on to something.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    So, next time I get shot, just squirt a little Ballistol in the bullet hole and I’m good to go...that’s gonna wind up in a movie one day.
    So that’s why it stinks so bad (LMAO at butthole and Christmas tree), because it’s also a medicinal. Fantastic.
    Honestly, with all the other products that indeed work, I only use it in extreme gun related instances. I keep a few very small bottles. My father uses it way more that I do. I do keep a ton of AeroKroil and other oldies around as well.
    Thanks for the historical stuff. Very cool. Had no idea Jerry created the stuff.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    “Request dust off” that’s great information thanks for looking it up. It might be sweeter than sugar but I don’t think that’s a test I’m willing to under go. I bet it would be a great laxative.

Dave

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    “Request dust off” that’s great information thanks for looking it up. It might be sweeter than sugar but I don’t think that’s a test I’m willing to under go. I bet it would be a great laxative.

Dave

Another shop chemical that is sweet - Loctite

Top Bottom