Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ballistol

Oldie

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the information drw461 and I also like your signature quotes.

I do learn a lot from people on this site and enjoy it a lot. However, you are correct in stating that there are also a few people here who like to argue just for argument's sake. This is a giant waste of everyone else's time
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." T. Roosevelt

The Boy Scouts told me to "Be Prepared" and I swore an oath "On My Honor..."
    I also swore an oath for the Army to "Support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies..." .
    Neither one told me when to stop.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I don’t know this stuff or what is in it, but we used all kinds of chemicals that we once approved as safe and/or beneficial but later realized it caused long term side effects.

Stuff like Atrazine and Glycol-phosphate were deemed safe to use on/around crops.

At one point they thought baby formula was better than the real thing.

I’m not knocking you for trying it and it sounds like it worked, but the older I get the more I’m convinced the chemicals that surround us that are unnatural are causing so many of our medical problems
    Last edited by Bangswitch; October 20th, 2019 at 09:26 AM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rcm192 View Post
    Its actually been around since pre WW1. I use it and sell it on a regular basis. It smells like butthole and old christmas trees but it just works so goddamned good! As previously mentioned it kicks you in the throat when you smell or inhale it. Its one of my go to products for firearms.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistol
    It doesn't specifically list 'butthole' as an ingredient.
    It does contain 'Anethole' though.
    So you might be on to something.

Simple green and totally awesome hit me on the throat too.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hmm I never thought it smelled like butthole either. To me it smells like the Greek liquor Uzo or just a black licorice smell.

I understand that many people don’t care for the smell. I wonder if there’s a genetic component at work here? For example some people can’t smell keytones. While other people taste dirt when they taste broccoli.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others."
    Paraphrase from George Orwell Animal Farm

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    Douglas Adams

"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
    Ash (Bruce Campbell) Army Of Darkness 1992

The Hitler of fun.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I started shooing more seriously about 6-7 years ago. Found Hickok.45 on youtube. He was often talking about Ballistol so I bought some. Have stayed with it ever since. It mentions use on wood and leather on the can. I have tried it on both with good results. Hadn't thought about cuts n scrapes by I may give it a go. If nothing else I'll smell better...

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dwr461 View Post
    Hmm I never thought it smelled like butthole either. To me it smells like the Greek liquor Uzo or just a black licorice smell.

I understand that many people don’t care for the smell. I wonder if there’s a genetic component at work here? For example some people can’t smell keytones. While other people taste dirt when they taste broccoli.

Dave

It's the 'Anethole'.
    - Anethole is distinctly sweet, measuring 13 times sweeter than sugar. It is perceived as being pleasant to the taste even at higher concentrations. It is used in alcoholic drinks ouzo, rakı, anisette and absinthe, among others. It is also used in seasoning and confectionery applications, oral hygiene products, and in small quantities in natural berry flavors.[5]

- Antimicrobial and antifungal activity
    Anethole has potent antimicrobial properties, against bacteria, yeasts, and fungi.[9] Reported antibacterial properties include both bacteriostatic and bactericidal action against Salmonella enterica[10] but not when used against Salmonella via a fumigation method.[11] Antifungal activity includes increasing the effectiveness of some other phytochemicals (such as polygodial) against Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Candida albicans;[12]

Marksman

User Info Menu

I cannot tell you how many elderly patients told me long ago kerosene soaked rags were used on wounds to prevent infection. They swear by it. One patient told me his leg wound was so infected they were talking amputation but was saved by kerosene. Maybe you are on to something.

All or nothing

User Info Menu

So, next time I get shot, just squirt a little Ballistol in the bullet hole and I’m good to go...that’s gonna wind up in a movie one day.
    So that’s why it stinks so bad (LMAO at butthole and Christmas tree), because it’s also a medicinal. Fantastic.
    Honestly, with all the other products that indeed work, I only use it in extreme gun related instances. I keep a few very small bottles. My father uses it way more that I do. I do keep a ton of AeroKroil and other oldies around as well.
    Thanks for the historical stuff. Very cool. Had no idea Jerry created the stuff.
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct it———
    Bangswitch

Marksman

User Info Menu

“Request dust off” that’s great information thanks for looking it up. It might be sweeter than sugar but I don’t think that’s a test I’m willing to under go. I bet it would be a great laxative.

Dave

"All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others."
    Paraphrase from George Orwell Animal Farm

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    Douglas Adams

"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
    Ash (Bruce Campbell) Army Of Darkness 1992

The Hitler of fun.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dwr461 View Post
    “Request dust off” that’s great information thanks for looking it up. It might be sweeter than sugar but I don’t think that’s a test I’m willing to under go. I bet it would be a great laxative.

Dave

Another shop chemical that is sweet - Loctite