New to archery

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slim

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Metairie
    Have been interested in archery and thinking of getting my first bow. Any advice on where to start? Have always been a gun guy but never shot a bow before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I've been bow hunting now for decades. I was fortunate enough to have been introduced to it by a guy in Metairie that was the in-house pro at the time at an archery store that was on Veterans Blvd in Metairie. Was near where Hooters is now. Don't know if they are still open. If they are, go there first. They had a nice indoor range too. Anyhoo, I see you live in Metairie.

I would suggest you ask a friend to let you throw a few arrows if you know someone that has the equipment. Second choice, find an archery shop that has competent archers working there. You will be very disappointed if you are buy a bow from someone that doesn't actually shoot already. Try different brands. They all accomplish the same ends, but some just feel different than others. Some are more compact. Some are bulky. etc. Everything matters. Arrows, release, sights, draw weight, etc.

For what it's worth, I started with an entry level PSE and it worked fine. Now I hunt a Hoyt Viper-Tec for no other reason then it was kind of compact and it was a steal of a bargain how I got it.

When you do go to start looking, make sure you ask the person you talk to if they are actual archers themselves. Better yet, try to talk to an expert archer if they have one.

Good luck!

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Good advice from Emperor. Also, what are your goals with archery? Hunt, recreational target, competition? Compound or traditional (recurve/longbow/selfbow)? Start with lower draw weight to work on your form before moving up to higher poundage bow.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Getting set up with the right draw length and release combination is important. Weight is not. A real bow tech/archer is key, and as Emperor eluded to dropping a pile of cash starting out is not. There is a $300-500 market full of adjustable bows some are better than others I have a Bear Cruzer II, my wife has a Diamond Intrigue. They were roughly the same price but I think hers shoots better. I’m still on the cheap end of my evolution as an archer. I bought a fully adjustable style bow, the first year I had a tech set it up and I was comfortable and happy, but my anchor point wasn’t consistent and I couldn’t put my finger on way (still a young archer). I went to buy a second set of arrows and a different bow tech at a different store, pressed me on length. And I told him we set last years arrows at standard length, but when we looked at my draw he noticed I could drop an inch in DL and almost 2 arrow shaft. Long story short my groups tightened up. I’ve still got a long ways to go to feel good shooting past 30 yards but I’m getting there.

My two cents is buy a cheaper bow that is a RTH (ready to hunt) package try some releases (stick with one that buckles no Velcro), and find a tech or archer that will work with gear that’s not top tier gear. Once you are to the point the cheaper adjustable rig is holding you back upgrade.

EightySix

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Get a bow strictly set up for you, draw length and weight etc. and practice practice practice. Technique is everything especially with grip and anchor point.
    Chag's Sporting Goods should be able to help you out or take a ride to Hammond and see Jamie at archery unlimited.

Last edited:

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    good advice already given......try and find someone who is already a shooter and get pointers.....if you go to a store / range ask if they personally shoot---if not runaway.....so many options available ..a fully rigged set up to get started is good till time to up grade the equipment is a good financial decision as if you decide archery doesn"t "Melt Your Butter"..... just because you can draw a heavy weight I would suggest a lighter weight as you get comfortable..and if bow is capable then change draw weight.......personally I would shoot paper targets as well as 3D animal targets both indoor and out door....some were in competition .....used same bow for competition as well as hunting......BE OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS.........LEARN YOUR EQUIPMENT THE WAY YOU SHOOT........HAVE FUN...

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    go to an archery shop that has both traditional and compound bows to try out. i love shooting traditional, but am tons better with modern compounds.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Getting set up with the right draw length and release combination is important. Weight is not. A real bow tech/archer is key, and as Emperor eluded to dropping a pile of cash starting out is not. There is a $300-500 market full of adjustable bows some are better than others I have a Bear Cruzer II, my wife has a Diamond Intrigue. They were roughly the same price but I think hers shoots better. I’m still on the cheap end of my evolution as an archer. I bought a fully adjustable style bow, the first year I had a tech set it up and I was comfortable and happy, but my anchor point wasn’t consistent and I couldn’t put my finger on way (still a young archer). I went to buy a second set of arrows and a different bow tech at a different store, pressed me on length. And I told him we set last years arrows at standard length, but when we looked at my draw he noticed I could drop an inch in DL and almost 2 arrow shaft. Long story short my groups tightened up. I’ve still got a long ways to go to feel good shooting past 30 yards but I’m getting there.

My two cents is buy a cheaper bow that is a RTH (ready to hunt) package try some releases (stick with one that buckles no Velcro), and find a tech or archer that will work with gear that’s not top tier gear. Once you are to the point the cheaper adjustable rig is holding you back upgrade.

Some really good advice here. I know it's far from the OP, but Gotham Archery in Central/Baton Rouge is worth the drive. They have an amazing, helpful staff, a huge indoor 3-D range, great selection of bows, arrows, etc. They offer lessons, and absolutely will not take advantage of you. I went to a couple of other stores first and was not impressed with customer service - everyone was "too busy" during hunting season to help out. I ended up buying a PSE Stinger online, RTH, because of the price. It's not a bad bow for my purposes, but I wish I had just started off at Gotham and let them walk me through the whole process. Can't recommend them enough.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Some really good advice here. I know it's far from the OP, but Gotham Archery in Central/Baton Rouge is worth the drive. They have an amazing, helpful staff, a huge indoor 3-D range, great selection of bows, arrows, etc. They offer lessons, and absolutely will not take advantage of you. I went to a couple of other stores first and was not impressed with customer service - everyone was "too busy" during hunting season to help out. I ended up buying a PSE Stinger online, RTH, because of the price. It's not a bad bow for my purposes, but I wish I had just started off at Gotham and let them walk me through the whole process. Can't recommend them enough.

+1 on gotham

Top Bottom