Red light traffic cam

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    As others have said, toss it. You may get follow-up letters, but there is no enforcement action and it will not go on your credit report. Some cities, like NO and Baker may enforce it if you are pulled over for something else, and NO may use their vehicle mounted cameras to locate your vehicle, but BR will do nothing.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As others have said, toss it. You may get follow-up letters, but there is no enforcement action and it will not go on your credit report. Some cities, like NO and Baker may enforce it if you are pulled over for something else, and NO may use their vehicle mounted cameras to locate your vehicle, but BR will do nothing.

NOPD doesn't enforce civil penalties. It's the city's parking division that will catch vehicles parked on the street with license plate readers. They are part of the Department of Public Works and not a part of NOPD despite what their vehicles may look like. From the DPW website, "the vehicles are wrapped and look similar to NOPD vehicles."

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The civil penalties in the $25-50 range are designed to get your attention and make the intersection a safer place. The penalties that are $100+ are designed to make money.

There are other (better) ways to make an intersection safer. Increase the time of the yellow light to allow the "I gotta make it" drivers time to clear the intersection. Have a small time, maybe 1/2 to 1 second, when all of the lights are red to give drivers a little more time to clear the intersection before opening the intersection to the cross traffic. But those, especially the first one, has the effect of reducing the number of camera violations.

New Orleans doesn't turn them over to the credit bureau. Or at least they didn't used to.

There are definitely better solutions, but these cameras have the added benefit of increasing revenue. I’ve never met a politician wanting to decrease revenue particularly local level guys.

Selective enforcement in a target rich environment will always seem a little scummy to me. I know it does make the roads safer in a round about way, but the biggest result usually appears to be revenue. A camera on a specific intersection known for speeding and running the yellow/red with no other changes to the intersection is the definition of selective enforcement in a target rich environment, but the argument is it doesn’t cost the Municipality a nickel and actually brings in money, so for a soleless politician it’s a no brainer.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There are definitely better solutions, but these cameras have the added benefit of increasing revenue. I’ve never met a politician wanting to decrease revenue particularly local level guys.

Selective enforcement in a target rich environment will always seem a little scummy to me. I know it does make the roads safer in a round about way, but the biggest result usually appears to be revenue. A camera on a specific intersection known for speeding and running the yellow/red with no other changes to the intersection is the definition of selective enforcement in a target rich environment, but the argument is it doesn’t cost the Municipality a nickel and actually brings in money, so for a soleless politician it’s a no brainer.

Red Light Cameras May Not Make Streets Safer
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/red-light-cameras-may-not-make-streets-safer/

Red-light cameras don't reduce traffic accidents or improve public safety: analysis
    https://phys.org/news/2018-07-red-light-cameras-dont-traffic-accidents.html
    (Article may be based on the same study as the previous article used.)

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Red Light Cameras May Not Make Streets Safer
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/red-light-cameras-may-not-make-streets-safer/

Red-light cameras don't reduce traffic accidents or improve public safety: analysis
    https://phys.org/news/2018-07-red-light-cameras-dont-traffic-accidents.html
    (Article may be based on the same study as the previous article used.)

I was speaking about selective enforcement in a target rich environment in general. I don’t know the in’s and out’s on traffic cams, but I can see major problems with the concept. I believe it can cause drivers to throw caution and reason out the window in effort to not get a ticket, putting themselves and/or other motorists at greater risk.

But, when you have a bunch of old ladies whining about speeders and people running red lights, and then you get approached by these scumbag camera people who promise no cost and free revenue it’s an easy choice. Even easier if you don’t have a sole.

Think about you get to tell little old lady you are doing something about it and you increase revenue. Meanwhile the little old lady is happy and even offers her yard up for a re-election campaign sign.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    A quick way to go from a civil ticket to an actual criminal citation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Why? I ran the plate covers on the truck and Jeep for several years,Never had 1 iota of a problem since...

A.The police hated the red light cameras with a passion beings they to had to pay out of pocket IF they could not prove they were actually on a call...Paa-Yaa!

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Just take the plate off and put it behind your limo tint rear windshield. Isn't that what the dealer does when you buy a new or used car? PoPo don't seem to care about that.

It seems that some this thread seem to support this enforcement technique.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just take the plate off and put it behind your limo tint rear windshield. Isn't that what the dealer does when you buy a new or used car? PoPo don't seem to care about that.

It seems that some this thread seem to support this enforcement technique.

Good luck with the plate hidden by the tint. Proactive units love that. They tend to be a little more lenient with the temporary tags because they are temporary.

32:53. Proper equipment required on vehicles; display of plate
    (3) Every permanent registration license plate shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned, so as to prevent the plate from swinging, and at a height not less than twelve inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible. Unless authorized by the commissioner, a person shall not apply a covering or any substance to the license plate or use an electronic device or electrochromatic film that obscures from any angle the numbers, characters, year registration sticker, or name of the jurisdiction issuing the plate.

Which technique do some seem to support?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    People keep repeating this like it's a viable defense. What do people think this will accomplish?

Run that by an attorney first. A cop pulls you over and you either sign your name saying you received the citation or he can attest to having written and giving you the ticket. Mail lady decides she doesn’t feel like finishing her delivery that day, tosses a bag of mail in the garbage. I mean drops your photo ticket in the wrong mailbox and the recipient laughs as he throws it in the garbage. Tell me neither has ever happened.

That being said, I followed the correct advice on ‘radar cam’ or ‘speeding cam’ tickets over the past 4-5 years. Got one in each of 2 cities local to Baton Rouge and I never acknowledged either. I got two warning letters for one over about a 6 month period, one warning letter for the other ticket after a couple months I think then nothing more. The fines totaled over $200 iirc, and so far my credit report is fine. Got a ticket from a nice Trooper on I-10 at LaPlace back in July and no mention. Progressive keeps a running tally of my moving violations and doesn’t have it on file... idk, maybe I’m just lucky.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Why? I ran the plate covers on the truck and Jeep for several years,Never had 1 iota of a problem since...

A.The police hated the red light cameras with a passion beings they to had to pay out of pocket IF they could not prove they were actually on a call...Paa-Yaa!

You are playing the odds. Just because you didn’t get stopped doesn’t mean I haven’t written or witnessed traffic stops for that exact reason. Making it harder for your license plate to be seen is usually done by criminals. I have all my plates clearly visible with no stupid methods to obscure it and have never gotten a red light ticket. You know why? I don’t run red lights.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

It seems that some this thread seem to support this enforcement technique.[/

It seems like some tend to run red lights frequently and could be involved in a crash with you or I

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    You are playing the odds. Just because you didn’t get stopped doesn’t mean I haven’t written or witnessed traffic stops for that exact reason. Making it harder for your license plate to be seen is usually done by criminals. I have all my plates clearly visible with no stupid methods to obscure it and have never gotten a red light ticket. You know why? I don’t run red lights.

To quote a unnamed Trooper from Troop I

We discussed this in a meeting with our commander,It was decided that we could read the plates strait on.

Even we have been given red light camera tickets so F'k those M'fers.....The 25.00 comes out of our pockets not the tax payers.

I guess some LEO's could be hardasses....Until they have to pay from their own personal funds......

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Run that by an attorney first. A cop pulls you over and you either sign your name saying you received the citation or he can attest to having written and giving you the ticket. Mail lady decides she doesn’t feel like finishing her delivery that day, tosses a bag of mail in the garbage. I mean drops your photo ticket in the wrong mailbox and the recipient laughs as he throws it in the garbage. Tell me neither has ever happened.

That being said, I followed the correct advice on ‘radar cam’ or ‘speeding cam’ tickets over the past 4-5 years. Got one in each of 2 cities local to Baton Rouge and I never acknowledged either. I got two warning letters for one over about a 6 month period, one warning letter for the other ticket after a couple months I think then nothing more. The fines totaled over $200 iirc, and so far my credit report is fine. Got a ticket from a nice Trooper on I-10 at LaPlace back in July and no mention. Progressive keeps a running tally of my moving violations and doesn’t have it on file... idk, maybe I’m just lucky.

They aren't tickets. They aren't moving violations. They are civil penalties. The police don't track them. They are likely not reported to insurance because they are issued to the owner, not the driver. (Yes, I know those could be the same.)

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    To quote a unnamed Trooper from Troop I

We discussed this in a meeting with our commander,It was decided that we could read the plates strait on.

Even we have been given red light camera tickets so F'k those M'fers.....The 25.00 comes out of our pockets not the tax payers.

I guess some LEO's could be hardasses....Until they have to pay from their own personal funds......

That’s a commanders decision in Troop I. What does that have to do with anything?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    They aren't tickets. They aren't moving violations. They are civil penalties. The police don't track them. They are likely not reported to insurance because they are issued to the owner, not the driver. (Yes, I know those could be the same.)

Exactly

EightySix

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Good stuff in this thread. It will help me with my decision on what I'm going to do about it. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom