Gun Hunting (for small game) during archery season (for big game)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsquareo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    New Orleans
    Hey everybody and anybody out there in the LA hunting community.

I am an avid small game hunter. Typically squirrels on private land. Recently the private land I had access to was sold and let just say the new owner....isn't a fan of hunting...

ANYWAY. I've been going to Pearl River WMA for a while and have always had this question.
    Is it illegal to hunt with a rifle (22 mag) for squirrels and rabbits during archery deer season?

Its not like I'm out there just shooting at anything that shakes its tail. At most, I'll shoot 3-5 times if I have some good action.

My question (if it IS legal to do) is more of an etiquette question.
    Are there any bow hunters out there that could weigh in on the situation?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If you have this as a legitimate question in your mind, I would suggest you familiarize yourself with the Hunting Regulations pamphlet, toot sweet!

There are very, very few; yes, no, maybe; etiquette questions about anything to do with hunting in Louisiana.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Gladly.

Yes you are legal. If you are squirrel hunting and the legal weapons for squirrel include 22mag (pretty sure it still does in the Bayou State), and you are shooting a 22mag then no worries.

Here's the problem people think their quarry should the only game allowed be hunted while they are hunting its glaringly evident with deer hunters. That's just not the case public land belongs to everyone, we have to share and play nice so long as everyone is playing by the rules.

I'm an avid deer hunter and I hunt private property and several times a season during bow season someone wants to squirrel hunt. My response is always of the same intent, you have every right to hunt squirrel as I do deer, so long as we both play nice and fair, I have no cause for complaint, and I have no expectation priority. The guys I hunt with have always proven themselves to be considerate and I respond in kind.

The problem with public land is you may crowd one another by happenstance. This could be upsetting to a bow hunter. We go to great lengths (or at least I do) to enter the woods undetected and leave the same way, so if you start popping ole bushy tail next to me you have likely ruined my hunt, but you have every right to do so because mixed use land is just what it sounds like.

If you make effort to avoid bow hunters while they are on a stand you have upheld your end of the bargain and anyone who doesn't like it whine to the warden and the warden can tell them the same thing.

Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Yes you can hunt small game with a .22mag or a shotgun with bird shot during bow season at Pearl river WMA. Remember you must wear blaze orange or pink while doing so on public land.

jsquareo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    New Orleans
    Thank you for your insight.

Even not during Archery season, I will never go down a trial in the Pearl River WMA if there is already a car parked at the trail head. (Off of Oil well road there are m-m-m-many trail heads leading into the woods in various directions)
    And I always OVER wear orange. Vest and hat mandatory during every hunt (public or private)

Thanks again guys. Guess for this conversation, I hope I DON'T see you out there hahaha

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Yes you can hunt small game with a .22mag or a shotgun with bird shot during bow season at Pearl river WMA. Remember you must wear blaze orange or pink while doing so on public land.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest over this but I think there are exceptions during archery. Although orange is never a bad suggestion on public land.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Thank you for your insight.

Even not during Archery season, I will never go down a trial in the Pearl River WMA if there is already a car parked at the trail head. (Off of Oil well road there are m-m-m-many trail heads leading into the woods in various directions)
    And I always OVER wear orange. Vest and hat mandatory during every hunt (public or private)

Thanks again guys. Guess for this conversation, I hope I DON'T see you out there hahaha

Personally I would rather share the woods with all types of hunters, than discourage someone, and it really bothers me when guys try to diminish small game hunting. Hunting supports conservation and everyone benefits from that. If we discourage one another because your type of hunting is "too loud" then we hurt ourselves in the long run. Also small game hunting is one of the best ways to get kids off the couch and in the woods. I don't see how another hunter could have a problem with that.

jsquareo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    New Orleans
    Personally I would rather share the woods with all types of hunters, than discourage someone, and it really bothers me when guys try to diminish small game hunting. Hunting supports conservation and everyone benefits from that. If we discourage one another because your type of hunting is "too loud" then we hurt ourselves in the long run. Also small game hunting is one of the best ways to get kids off the couch and in the woods. I don't see how another hunter could have a problem with that.

Just trying to do my part as a member of this community. Being someone who didn't get into hunting until my 20's, Small game has been my key into this world. It's something I can do for a very long season gaining as much experience as possible. And while I'm on the hunt, I'm always staying cognizant to the various species I come across that aren't necessarily that days target.

jsquareo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    New Orleans
    Yeah I didn’t know where it was but I had always believed MS and LA were simpatico on the issue, and its one of those almost instinctive answers for me if discussing MS regs.

It’s still not bad advice to wear the orange.

OHHHHHHHH yea.

If you hunt on public land and you don't wear orange I don't want anything to do with you
    (idk anything about bow hunting so take this as you may)

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Just be aware that the squirrel head peeking at you around the tree may just be a treestand bowhunter's elbow. Don't skoff - hunters have been shot just because they left a squirrel tail hanging out of their pocket. Being sure of your target and the backstop is always advised, but is critical on crowded public hunting areas.

Having to share an area with another hunter (or other public area users) is the risk you take when hunting public areas. Others might mess up your hunt, or they could also push game your way, so I believe it's a wash.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Just be aware that the squirrel head peeking at you around the tree may just be a treestand bowhunter's elbow. Don't skoff - hunters have been shot just because they left a squirrel tail hanging out of their pocket. Being sure of your target and the backstop is always advised, but is critical on crowded public hunting areas.

Having to share an area with another hunter (or other public area users) is the risk you take when hunting public areas. Others might mess up your hunt, or they could also push game your way, so I believe it's a wash.

You just reminded me of a ‘man drive’ called the mooch. One hunter circles around up wind and the other down wind. Sometimes it helps for the upwind hunter to make a little extra noise. The down wind hunter positions themselves in a choke point and gets still and quite.

johnpaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2016
    metairie,la
    Yes,you can do small game during archery season.However you can't during youth hunts.you can't do small game this year on nov2-3 and nov29-dec1

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom