Primitive firearm qualification

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Would a crack open, single barrel 410 shotgun with slugs qualify for primitive firearm deer season?

Yes, if it has an exposed hammer. Quoting from the Louisiana 2019-2020
    Hunting Regulations booklet, page 44. "Single shot, breech loading shotguns, 10 gauge or smaller, having an exposed hammer, loaded with buckshot or slug."

Last edited:

jsquareo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    New Orleans
    Yes, if it has an exposed hammer. Quoting from the Louisiana 2019-2020
    Hunting Regulations booklet, page 44. "Single shot, breech loading shotguns, 10 gauge or smaller, having an exposed hammer, loaded with buckshot or slug."

Thank you for your help! @dougstump

annnnnnnd. yup... that was everyone that helped

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Give a man a fish and he'll be hungry for a day. Teach a man to fish and I guess he won't find it helpful.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I gotta go with Gator on keeping abreast on the regs WHERE YOU ARE HUNTING. I know someone who paid all the money to hunt Mississippi as an out of state hunter from Louisiana and found out they have a lot of different regulations....the hard and expensive way. So what’s primitive here or there may not be over yonder. The books are free and the info can be found easily online by hunting area.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    He is talking about hunting in Louisiana. Personally, I'd try some of the 3" loads with 5 00 buckshot or 5 000 buckshot but slugs are good if your shotgun will shoot them well and probably a little more range than the buckshot (30 yards).

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    L.D.W.& F. has seen just about every work around when it comes to hunting animals and catching fish.

You really should consider that pamphlet and their website required reading! ;)

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Thank you for your help! @dougstump

annnnnnnd. yup... that was everyone that helped

I didn’t see this thread till now and didn’t know the answer anyways. If you read the regs and find them unclear or seemingly contradictory you can usually email them and get a pubic communications officer to clear things up for you.

Here’s an example I ran across this year. In Mississippi it is always open season on hogs and coyotes. You can hunt day or night with a rock to a nuclear warhead (ok that’s a stretch). I couple years back I ran across a reg that allowed bow hunters to carry a ‘sidearm’ in the event they had an encounter with one of the outlaw quadrupeds. I search and search to find this again this year, but had no luck.
    See I have an AR pistol that technically is a sidearm and wanted confirmation I hadn’t missed something so I reached out to MDWFP and asked plainly could I carry an AR and a bow while hunting whitetail during Archery. We emailed back and forth a couple of times, and the final answer was, ‘It’s fine on private land, just make sure there are no bullet holes in the deer.’

Wardens are some of the nicest guys you could stumble on in the woods. Even if you are really screwing the pooch (figuratively these days you never know), and get caught they are still nice when they issue you your citation.

jsquareo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    New Orleans
    I didn’t see this thread till now and didn’t know the answer anyways. If you read the regs and find them unclear or seemingly contradictory you can usually email them and get a pubic communications officer to clear things up for you.

Here’s an example I ran across this year. In Mississippi it is always open season on hogs and coyotes. You can hunt day or night with a rock to a nuclear warhead (ok that’s a stretch). I couple years back I ran across a reg that allowed bow hunters to carry a ‘sidearm’ in the event they had an encounter with one of the outlaw quadrupeds. I search and search to find this again this year, but had no luck.
    See I have an AR pistol that technically is a sidearm and wanted confirmation I hadn’t missed something so I reached out to MDWFP and asked plainly could I carry an AR and a bow while hunting whitetail during Archery. We emailed back and forth a couple of times, and the final answer was, ‘It’s fine on private land, just make sure there are no bullet holes in the deer.’

Wardens are some of the nicest guys you could stumble on in the woods. Even if you are really screwing the pooch (figuratively these days you never know), and get caught they are still nice when they issue you your citation.

I 100% agree that the regulations are worth reading and I HAVE.

I post on forums like this in order to gain further information and get a bead on what others in the community are practicing/preaching.

It's the "me thinks you're going to jail" nonsense responses with a link to the regs that make healthy discussions go south.

Louisiana is not the first or second state I've hunted in. And yes the regs from state to state can be drastically different. Whats printed is good to know. But what people actually do within those rules is what I'm interested.

So, once again. thank you to the people on this forum that are actually helping! The community needs more people like you. Makes it less of a pissing contest :cool:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

I post on forums like this in order to gain further information and get a bead on what others in the community are practicing/preaching.

It's the "me thinks you're going to jail" nonsense responses with a link to the regs that make healthy discussions go south.

Louisiana is not the first or second state I've hunted in. And yes the regs from state to state can be drastically different. Whats printed is good to know. But what people actually do within those rules is what I'm interested.

So, once again. thank you to the people on this forum that are actually helping! The community needs more people like you. Makes it less of a pissing contest :cool:

But, there is no gray areas in these regulations!?! What people actually do within the hunting regulations (rules), of Louisiana are either abide by the law, or break the law. If you mean, "how people "hunt" or "what they prefer to use" within those rules, that is entirely different.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Here’s an example I ran across this year. In Mississippi it is always open season on hogs and coyotes. You can hunt day or night with a rock to a nuclear warhead (ok that’s a stretch).

FIRST OF ALL... LMAO @ rocks to nukes!

Wardens in the woods are indeed polite, which is a testament to how cordial things can be when everyone carries a gun.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    FIRST OF ALL... LMAO @ rocks to nukes!

Wardens in the woods are indeed polite, which is a testament to how cordial things can be when everyone carries a gun.

Yeah I could have quoted the reg on nuisance animals which speaks to no season, caliber, or magazine restrictions but what’s the fun in that.;)

Also I think wardens are so nice is because they are likeminded individuals and they are living the dream.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

You got something against going to jail? We have some of the nicest jails and sweetest people you ever want to share a bunk with...Or so I'm told...hahaha

In the link I shared with you is a list of phone numbers,Use them VS internet game wardens,The rules change every year.

Its my understanding that if you have a current CCL you can carry a sidearm even on a WMA....But do your own verification with the actual people involved in that line of work.

Top Bottom