New .22 squirrel dope?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    So CCI has a .22LR HP that’s 45gr and advertised 970 fps. Bought 2 bricks from Midway last night thinking I’d try it in all 5 of my threaded rifles. Haven’t done the math on muzzle energy over the 40gr at 1050 but it should be near the same and just a little quicker drop. Anyone try these yet? I’m always looking for that super accurate edge for the tree rats and have by chance found some random subs that each of my rifles likes that were surprising. Marlin mod 25 cut down to 16” likes Remington subsonic. My old CZ likes the 60gr Aguilas. I like the CCI segmented HP’s for excellent kill shots but I haven’t found a more accurate load in my American than CCI Standard Vel, but they’re not HP’s, so it’s really gotta be a head shot if I don’t wanna be chasing wounded critters. The only other 45gr I’ve tried was Winchester Subs and they sucked, so they’re pistol fodder now.
    Anyway, if anyone has tried these please speak up and I’ll post up my targets when I test them myself.
    Thanks
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...=main-image-link&utm_campaign=cci-lr-subsonic

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Why, if I may, are you looking for a lower velocity bullet for squirrels? I almost never see squirrels negatively react to the normal crack of any unsuppressed .22 I hunt with.

I am throwing Federal 36gr CPHP (1260fps at the muzzle) from both my Ruger 10-22, and Marlin 60 (which they both absolutely adore), and smoking their asses!

Just wondering.

stinkysix

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Denham Springs
    CZ 455 Manners stock, Vortex Diamondback Tactical

Attachments

• 20191021_171611.jpg
      20191021_171611.jpg
      269.8 KB · Views: 243

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    So CCI has a .22LR HP that’s 45gr and advertised 970 fps. Bought 2 bricks from Midway last night thinking I’d try it in all 5 of my threaded rifles. Haven’t done the math on muzzle energy over the 40gr at 1050 but it should be near the same and just a little quicker drop. Anyone try these yet? I’m always looking for that super accurate edge for the tree rats and have by chance found some random subs that each of my rifles likes that were surprising. Marlin mod 25 cut down to 16* likes Remington subsonic. My old CZ likes the 60gr Aguilas. I like the CCI segmented HP’s for excellent kill shots but I haven’t found a more accurate load in my American than CCI Standard Vel, but they’re not HP’s, so it’s really gotta be a head shot if I don’t wanna be chasing wounded critters. The only other 45gr I’ve tried was Winchester Subs and they sucked, so they’re pistol fodder now.
    Anyway, if anyone has tried these please speak up and I’ll post up my targets when I test them myself.
    Thanks
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...=main-image-link&utm_campaign=cci-lr-subsonic

Oh man..be careful running those 60gr subs especially if you happen to be running a can. Check out this snippet from CZs FAQ

https://cz-usa.com/support/faq/

Q: *I’ve heard you use tight bores in your .22s, is that right? What does that mean?*
    A: Our 22 LRs use our cold hammer forged and lapped barrels, and are built a bit tighter than many other guns. In 22 LR we run a .211 bore, which is one of the reasons our .22s are known for incredible accuracy. This also means that a .17 or .20 rod and jag are required for cleaning, since a .22 rod will be too large.

Additionally, use of .22 Short, Long and ‘Sub-Sonic’ ammunition isn’t recommended because of the tight bore. This is not to exclude quality match or target ammos, which may remain sub-sonic in speed.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Why, if I may, are you looking for a lower velocity bullet for squirrels? I almost never see squirrels negatively react to the normal crack of any unsuppressed .22 I hunt with.

I am throwing Federal 36gr CPHP (1260fps at the muzzle) from both my Ruger 10-22, and Marlin 60 (which they both absolutely adore), and smoking their asses!

Just wondering.
    I prefer suppressed for squirrel hunting. It does make a lot of difference in the woods for so many reasons. Reasons that I’ve appreciated for many seasons.
    I’m not looking for a slower bullet per se.
    I’m looking for the most accurate subsonic hollow point for each of my hunting rifles.
    I practice for squirrel season with golf balls thrown out on the ground out to 200 feet. During a squirrel hunt, within 100 feet I usually go for eye, ear or nose, center top of the head or throat for point of aim, depending on which is facing me.
    I like being that accurate. It’s a huge part of the hunt for me and besides wing shooting, squirrel hunting is my favorite, just barely edging out bunny meat. I like hearing the difference in impact when I can’t get a clear headshot. Head, thoracic and gut shots all have a distinct sound. No question you’ve made a hit when hunting suppressed .22LR. I’ve also been way more prone to run across targets of opportunity while slinking through the woods when hunting with subs. I sometimes bag my limit with a suppressed Ruger 22/45 with a C-More STS. I use Mini-Mag HP’s in that. Only time I hunt with high vel .22 in a rifle is long range rabbit plinking from a high perch. Middle of the day over a rye field can net some decent results when you have a little reach.
    Happy hunting!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Oh man..be careful running those 60gr subs especially if you happen to be running a can. Check out this snippet from CZs FAQ

https://cz-usa.com/support/faq/

Q: *I’ve heard you use tight bores in your .22s, is that right? What does that mean?*
    A: Our 22 LRs use our cold hammer forged and lapped barrels, and are built a bit tighter than many other guns. In 22 LR we run a .211 bore, which is one of the reasons our .22s are known for incredible accuracy. This also means that a .17 or .20 rod and jag are required for cleaning, since a .22 rod will be too large.

Additionally, use of .22 Short, Long and ‘Sub-Sonic’ ammunition isn’t recommended because of the tight bore. This is not to exclude quality match or target ammos, which may remain sub-sonic in speed.

I appreciate the heads up but not one of those. My actual squirrel gun is a CZ/Brno copy, Norinco JW-15 that actually likes subs and lower vel target loads due to the faster twist rate. I do have the real deal in a training rifle that I paid $100 for moons ago (not so nowadays) that also likes standard vel target loads (still subsonic) but I’ve never tried the 60gr loads in it. I know that a standard .22 brush and wool swab fits fine down the bore but haven’t tried a jag because I don’t use them for 22LR. I won’t swear that the bore is not extra tight, but we’re not talking 21st century rifle here. She’s a beauty but older than most folks reading this. I’ve posted pics of the Norinco here when I was doing my version of camo painting. I’ll try to find the thread.

Last edited:

Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I prefer suppressed for squirrel hunting. It does make a lot of difference in the woods for so many reasons. Reasons that I’ve appreciated for many seasons.
    I’m not looking for a slower bullet per se.
    I’m looking for the most accurate subsonic hollow point for each of my hunting rifles.
    I practice for squirrel season with golf balls thrown out on the ground out to 200 feet. During a squirrel hunt, within 100 feet I usually go for eye, ear or nose, center top of the head or throat for point of aim, depending on which is facing me.
    I like being that accurate. It’s a huge part of the hunt for me and besides wing shooting, squirrel hunting is my favorite, just barely edging out bunny meat. I like hearing the difference in impact when I can’t get a clear headshot. Head, thoracic and gut shots all have a distinct sound. No question you’ve made a hit when hunting suppressed .22LR. I’ve also been way more prone to run across targets of opportunity while slinking through the woods when hunting with subs. I sometimes bag my limit with a suppressed Ruger 22/45 with a C-More STS. I use Mini-Mag HP’s in that. Only time I hunt with high vel .22 in a rifle is long range rabbit plinking from a high perch. Middle of the day over a rye field can net some decent results when you have a little reach.
    Happy hunting!

Totally understand!

I too love head shots and abhor gut shot squirrels. I actually get angry if I hit lower than neck. I would rather a clean miss, than a body shot.

Looking forward to your results. I have a .22 can but never got around to getting a threaded rifle. But that can on the Ruger mk 2 is a kick in the ass. Last night I was patrolling the yard with it looking for the little armored bastard that is digging up my yard. Stuck him in his ass as he tried to make a run for it to the brush line. :p

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Totally understand!

I too love head shots and abhor gut shot squirrels. I actually get angry if I hit lower than neck. I would rather a clean miss, than a body shot.

Looking forward to your results. I have a .22 can but never got around to getting a threaded rifle. But that can on the Ruger mk 2 is a kick in the ass. Last night I was patrolling the yard with it looking for the little armored bastard that is digging up my yard. Stuck him in his ass as he tried to make a run for it to the brush line. :p
    The guy that cuts and threads my barrels is a machinist with a full fledged shop. I’ve taken a few barrels to him over the years. I highly recommend a tight bolt action if you wanna experience the world of quiet hunting. Some of mine you only hear the ‘ting’ of the hammer hitting the firing pin. Then bullet impact, which sounds loud as hell in the quiet woods.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Wow, great "FISHNET" Camo work, MD!!! :bowdown:

I have a custom Rem 700 .30-06 that my son built and did the netting on the SS Kruger barrel...looks Sexy....er, I mean AWESOME!!! :thumbsup:

However, not a very good squirrel gun...pull the trigger but can Never find the critters?!? :doh:

Ted

Haha! No doubt! Squirrels are no match for the ought-six. I do like the blasted stainless barrels and the first time I saw that was a member here that owned Ritten Precision. He was the boss. Very talented dude.
    Was just messing around with the camo but thanks. Had a few requests around that time and did some better work for a few members. No complaints yet.
    Got all the stuff to do a diamondback pattern on a PSA pin together AR that I got about $350 in. If I ever manage to get it done I’ll post up some pics.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom