Really Cool First Time Archery Experience

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There hasn't been a lot of deer killed yet this year by anyone on here, so here is one I smoked last night.
    viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]

Like most hunters, I watch hunting shows over damn near everything else on tv, except the Saints and the news. Well, if you guys that do also will know, some of the coolest videos are the shows that actually show the animal running after being stuck, and then keeling over in the video. Last night that finally happened for me after all the years of bow hunting.

This big girl comes in and starts looking around about 20 yards in front of me. I am in a small field that is more like an old road between the palmettos. Anyhoo, we both hear some rustling in the palmettos off to the left (it was a coon eating palmetto berries), and she quarters away with her head looking back toward the noise. That is my chance. I draw back, and stand up as soon as I get to full draw, find her sweet spot in the peep, and let it fly. That Maxima Red with the Hellrazor broadhead zips through her like she was a sheet of paper. She jumps once, and then kind of hops away from me about 15 yards then stops. The blood is draining out of her like a garden hose. 5 seconds later she hobbles once, gets her balance one more time, and stumbles another 5 yards; and falls dead as a door nail! She was dead before that arrow passed all the way through! She just didn't know it.

It really was exciting! If any of you haven't seen your deer die in front of you from a picture perfect shot, keep trying. Every other deer I have killed with a bow has bounded off into the woods/palmettos and crashed / died out of sight.

EightySix

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Congrats, I know the feeling. I took my first deer last year with a bow after many years of bow hunting and countless hours of practice.
    To me any deer taken with a bow is a trophy. The intensity is off the charts.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Good shooting! Nothing like putting meat on the ground with an arrow. I tagged a doe on October 13th with the recurve. After letting the blood drain for a week, it was time to cut her up and fry some backstrap on Sunday. Hope your family enjoys all the meals the deer will provide. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1571962947.101816.jpg

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Congrats Emperor. I finally recovered my first bow killed deer last Saturday. Yea, I not proud of it, but over about ten years, I shot 4 deer prior to this one the we did not recover due to bad shots. It sucks for both the deer and myself, but it happens. As they say shoot straight and watch them fall.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Already been said but worth repeating, nothing like sticking one. I’ve had some memorable kills with a bow as well. Loosing the arrow at 5 feet away with one walking through pretty quick. No sight needed! A spine shot on a big buck that made him stiffen and roll over without bending a leg. Hit one that ran in a half circle and crashed into my palmetto blind and blew nostrils full of blood in my face. It’s amazing how you’re almost unaware of some things when they happen but remember every fine detail for years to come. That’s hunting. Nice kill bro.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Well apparently I was not to be out done. At 5:00 yesterday I had been sitting in a stand in a creek bottom listening the the creeks rage on since 12:30 that afternoon. Then in walked a doe 80 yards out. I can’t stand seeing deer out of range and for a few years now I’ve been calling with just my mouth. It’s been effective to bring in the does but no bucks yet, so I rip out a call, then a second call and here she comes. As she walked towards me I figured out she was gonna come broadside and clear at 15 yards. It’s on. I got the bow to full draw and waited for her to clear the tree limbs. I smacked her with a slight quarter towards me. She spun as let out. Hauling my arrow with her. I followed her path and in 150 yards 1 drop of blood. I was sweating it pretty hard at this point, I hate loosing an animal it really hurts my soul. So I make the call to pull out and get a dog. This dog is a freakin legend. Side story:He tracked a deer last year one of our members hint in the bottom portion of the leg last year. The deer would have survived and thrived for years to come. Back to my story: Well we found the second drop of blood at 175 and she was laying dead just over 300 yards in one of the creeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom