3-D Metal Printer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    https://spectrum.ieee.org/aerospace...gest-3d-metal-printer-is-churning-out-rockets
    Just half a min. but cool
    Sample quote

To build the engine, we employ commercial 3D printers that use a process called direct metal laser sintering, in which a laser fuses together particles of metal powder, creating the required structure layer by layer. The simplest variant of the engine, a pressure-fed version that uses pressurized gas to push the fuel and oxidizer from their tanks into the combustion chamber, is manufactured by pressing the printer’s on button three times (to print three parts). And we’re going further: We expect commercial printers to become available soon that will allow us to print the injector, igniter, combustion chamber, and nozzle as a single part.

End quote

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    On one hand you got Mike Rowe talking about learning a trade, and the other you have rocket scientists trying to eliminate skilled trades like fabricators and welders.

:dunno:

It was pretty fascinating to watch them make that rocket nozzle.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Someone has to build the robotic arms used in assembly plants. It’s like an atom how far back can we trace the building blocks of matter? If we don’t build CNC machines and robotic arms they would not exist. Until the terminators show up and put us out of business.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Someone has to build the robotic arms used in assembly plants. It’s like an atom how far back can we trace the building blocks of matter? If we don’t build CNC machines and robotic arms they would not exist. Until the terminators show up and put us out of business.

Don’t get me wrong I wasn’t lementing innovation. Just noting the dichotomy of YouTube videos I watched today.

Pipe beveling and welding robots have been around a while and if it were more economically feasible more welders and fitters would be in the unemployment line. We’ve briefly kicked the idea around for our fab shop.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Don’t get me wrong I wasn’t lementing innovation. Just noting the dichotomy of YouTube videos I watched today.

Pipe beveling and welding robots have been around a while and if it were more economically feasible more welders and fitters would be in the unemployment line. We’ve briefly kicked the idea around for our fab shop.
    I like watching *How it’s Made*, but the whole time I’m watching the machinery that is making the product I’m thinking I would like to see the machinery that makes the machinery that makes the product. Confused yet? Lol

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I like watching *How it’s Made*, but the whole time I’m watching the machinery that is making the product I’m thinking I would like to see the machinery that makes the machinery that makes the product. Confused yet? Lol

If we keep going back with this thought process do we get to some dirty guy in an empty warehouse whittling an old stick to make the first tool, that will then be used to make a slightly better tool, and so on....

It is funny, for all of humanities inventiveness, we are still running on hot water (to make electricity), burning stuff (to heat the water, ourselves, etc), and scratching on the ground (to make food). Maybe it is just the scale of our activities that are impressive, not the actual activities.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom