Remington 700 vs Ruger American in 30 cal?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    With no particular use in mind, I'm thinking about grabbing a bolt action rifle in 30 cal, either 300 blk or .308. I'm leaning toward the 300 blk because it should be better able to be silenced. I have the Magpul Hunter stocks on various other things and like the ergonomics. I would be leaning toward that stock for this idea and those are the only rifles the Hunter stocks are made for. I have a Rem 700 in 30-06 and don't mind it, although I don't shoot it very much. The Ruger Americans seem to be a bit less expensive than the Rem 700s. Does anyone have any experience with both of those rifles? Is the extra couple hundred dollars worth it for the Rem 700? Is the Ruger a decent value for the money?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’ve had/have a few of both.
    Firstly, the Remington is in another ballpark in that there’s a ton more out there to facilitate building almost any configuration you can imagine. There are also many other great actions built on the Remington 600/700 design. I have a couple in .308 that have been great rifles.
    The Ruger Ranch in .300 BLK is a super little rifle. I found them for $329 and bought 2 (kinda by accident but it worked out) and they’re great suppressor hosts. I see a few shooters go for the .308 version but I bought the rifle solely to shoot subsonic ammo and prefer my own lighter loads for better range. The rifle feels almost too short as is so add a can and it still feels under Mosin size.

I searched for the most accurate subsonic commercial ammo (in the one I shoot) and found the Federal Suppressor ammo to be number one, followed closely by Hornady and believe it or not, Sellier and Bellot 200gr. None of the Remington stuff or magtech was any good

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I’m partial to Remington or Savage. From my limited experience from the Rugers they are good guns for the price. But everyone is making a good budget bolt gun. The Ruger American predator comes in 300aac and is already threaded. I considered one in a different caliber but it’s $400+ and at that price point I’m back to my partiality to the Remington or Savage 10-110 guns.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’m partial to Remington or Savage. From my limited experience from the Rugers they are good guns for the price. But everyone is making a good budget bolt gun. The Ruger American predator comes in 300aac and is already threaded. I considered one in a different caliber but it’s $400+ and at that price point I’m back to my partiality to the Remington or Savage 10-110 guns.
    I hear ya. I went Ruger at the time for price point and there was really nothing out there that was threaded and that short and came with an adjustable accu-trigger. Forgot to mention that cool colored stock. That being said, I have thoroughly enjoyed the rifle. It was a little tricky to get extra mags for. Twice someone tried to sell me the ‘short action’ mag when I knew what I actually needed was the same mag the .223 version uses, which is not the short action mag.

I forgot to mention in my first post, the reason I went the .300BLK route in stead of .308 was the ammo selection. That has become even more apparent now.
    .308 subs vs .300BLK subs./availability, price, cost to reload, etc.
    Basically throwing the same piece of lead at the same speed in both, although Atomic Ammo does sell a heavier .308, I don’t wanna spent that kind of money. There simply is not near as much in the way of choice and .308 is certainly more expensive.
    If I wanted a better dual purpose rifle that I’m planning to mostly shoot high power supersonic rounds through I would go .308.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I hear ya. I went Ruger at the time for price point and there was really nothing out there that was threaded and that short and came with an adjustable accu-trigger. Forgot to mention that cool colored stock. That being said, I have thoroughly enjoyed the rifle. It was a little tricky to get extra mags for. Twice someone tried to sell me the ‘short action’ mag when I knew what I actually needed was the same mag the .223 version uses, which is not the short action mag.

I forgot to mention in my first post, the reason I went the .300BLK route in stead of .308 was the ammo selection. That has become even more apparent now.
    .308 subs vs .300BLK subs./availability, price, cost to reload, etc.
    Basically throwing the same piece of lead at the same speed in both, although Atomic Ammo does sell a heavier .308, I don’t wanna spent that kind of money. There simply is not near as much in the way of choice and .308 is certainly more expensive.
    If I wanted a better dual purpose rifle that I’m planning to mostly shoot high power supersonic rounds through I would go .308.

Right on,Just as soon go 308,Same boolit down the tube of both,But one has more case to play with in a 308

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Right on,Just as soon go 308,Same boolit down the tube of both,But one has more case to play with in a 308
    A lot more! And lemme tell you it was a long drawn out challenge to build the subsonic round I wanted with that little case. Otherwise, I did invest in a few cans of
    The commercial loads that the gun likes and it sees its share of quiet kills in the varmint categories. Nothing as quiet as a suppressed bolt gun when it comes to firearms. A friend told me it sounds like somebody squeezing the handle on a high pressure air hose giving a split second blast of air. Whatever it sounds like, it don’t sound like a gunshot.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for the replies. A number of the comments were pretty close to what I was thinking. My earliest thought on this was to go with a 308. I have a Springfield SAR8 and I like to keep the variety of calibers to a minimum. But when I dove into the world of silencers, I branched out to 300 blk. So having a suppressed bolt action rifle is the main objective. I'm going to keep my eyes open this month. Maybe one will show up in a black friday sale. At $600 for the Remington and $400 for the Ruger, I think the good Ruger wins out over the better Remington for the role it will play.

archbru

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    New Orleans, LA
    If all you’re doing is shooting a 300 blackout, I would get the Ruger American. They make one in a 16 inch barrel configuration that is factory threaded. It’s an awesome, quiet, fun little gun to play with.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom