More mind numbing news from Cali...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    Shoplifting under $950 is ok. The mindset of some people baffles me.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-prop-47-shoplifting-theft-crime-statewide

"If my babies need diapers or formula, who is going to get that for me? No one. I have to do it," she said. "They ain't out here arresting people for (shoplifting) and everyone knows it."

Defaulting to theft vs getting a job. Perhaps if they just gave it to them? That way they wouldn’t have to steal it and everybody would feel good about it.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    With respect to shoplifting under $950 being ok, it's been ok in Louisiana for a few years now. Theft under $1000 is a misdemeanor here.

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    Per incident. Organized criminal groups are taking advantage of the law robbing businesses up to $950. Pretty soon local retail stores will close leaving a gaping hole in commercial real estate. Building owners will walk away from unrentable high tax properties. And California will slide further into the Abyss of delusional progressivism.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    With respect to shoplifting under $950 being ok, it's been ok in Louisiana for a few years now. Theft under $1000 is a misdemeanor here.

Yes, but there is still a response from local PD when a store owner calls in a robbery. They then need to press charges correct?
    If I understand the Cali Prop correctly, if the theft is under $950, there will not be a PD response. Please set me straight if I'm going astray.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yes, but there is still a response from local PD when a store owner calls in a robbery. They then need to press charges correct?
    If I understand the Cali Prop correctly, if the theft is under $950, there will not be a PD response. Please set me straight if I'm going astray.

I briefly looked at the prop. I didn't see anything about eliminating police response but it could be there. I think the response level would more likely be a department decision.

https://www.courts.ca.gov/prop47.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I briefly looked at the prop. I didn't see anything about eliminating police response but it could be there. I think the response level would more likely be a department decision.

https://www.courts.ca.gov/prop47.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it was on Laura Ingraham show she showed this. Said it was now a major problem that since it was enacted lots,and lots now being stolen. That they are called and trespasses and walked out the door.
    Not sure in Cali if that can legaly be done without a cop.

My guess would be the crime of trespass would be worse than stealing now? More than one way to skin a cat.
    Like I said guess.......
    What was said is that they have bigger fish to fry.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    In a perfect world, when Ahmed catches a shoplifter boosting $9.50 worth of phone charger from his store, he will take said shoplifter out back and cut off his hand like they would in his home country...

In HongKong he would be dead already...

In Cali....thank God I don’t live in California

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    In a perfect world, when Ahmed catches a shoplifter boosting $9.50 worth of phone charger from his store, he will take said shoplifter out back and cut off his hand like they would in his home country...

In HongKong he would be dead already...

In Cali....thank God I don’t live in California

I like the Lethal Weapon line. Lol Enter the drag queen

jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA

Apples and oranges. Robbery and shoplifting are much different. In Louisiana, shoplifting is theft, which has a high threshold before it goes from a misdemeanor to a felony. A robbery is a felony no matter what the value of the item taken. Even an attempted robbery is a felony. Theft (shoplifting) is a property crime. Robbery is a crime of violence. Most agencies (especially those who have chronic overcrowding) either issue a summons for theft or roll the perpetrator right out of jail due to overcrowding. That doesn't happen for those charged with robbery.

This is why there is a national trend of decreasing armed robberies. Theft and identity theft reap more reward with far less risk. Combined with the proliferation of CCTV, robberies don't make as much sense to criminals. Stealing hundreds of dollars of baby formula and risking a ticket beats robbing a convenience store for $40 and getting locked up for real.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

Not necessarily. If you go in to a gas station and grab a bunch of cases of beer and walk out a unit will not respond in some cities. It’s all done over the phone and I’m sure that’s common in most major cities. It’s hard to tie up units on a non violent call or one that’s already happened in cities where violent crime is high and staffing is short. Baton Rouge actually has kiosk now at locations where you can report a crime over a Skype type method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    https://www.nola.gov/nopdonline/

REPORT NON-EMERGENCY CRIMES AND DOWNLOAD YOUR POLICE REPORT FOR FREE

Report incidents such as:
    -Property damage
    -Lost property
    -Thefts
    -Auto theft (​If you are reporting an auto theft you will need to provide a completed Auto Theft Affidavit.)
    -Supplements to existing cases

If your incident is not listed above, please call the NOPD to file your report:
    -Emergency 911
    -Non-emergency (504) 821-2222

Is this right for you? Say "yes" to the following:
    -This is not an emergency. (If no, call 911.)
    -This incident occurred within Orleans Parish. (If no, call the police department for that city.)
    -There are no known suspects. (A known suspect is when you or someone else knows the person or where to find person who may have committed the crime or the license plate number of the vehicle the suspect(s) were in.)
    -This did not occur on an interstate or the Crescent City Connection. (if so, call the Louisiana State Police at (225) 925-6006.)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom