Armed forces changing ammo?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    With all the 5.56mm weapons in service, ammo will be available for a looooong time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm glad they're going with a larger caliber I couldn't imagine them going smaller than 5.56/223.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I'm glad they're going with a larger caliber I couldn't imagine them going smaller than 5.56/223.
    No doubt.
    I’m sure it will be a little while before this gets ramped up, especially since we aren’t in any major conflict at the moment, but I will definitely be watching trends when it comes to the mil surp market. I’ve been shopping surplus since the 80’s and prefer to listen to my logic and the sources that have done me right in the past. I don’t know anyone else sitting on LC 5.56 that they paid 12 cents per round for or 7.62x51 for less than 20 cents per round. I don’t know what a long time is to some of you but it goes by quicker than you might think.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    Have they changed the PFT yet? I know big green was talking about it since before I enlisted in 99 and was still talking about it when I got out in 08. And was still just talking about it in 12 when my DAC appointment ended.

Replacing the m9 was writing on the wall when marsoc sourced COTS Kimber 1911s so they could have a reliable handgun, followed by CAG and DEVGRU buying blue label Glock 17s, and then the rest of JSOC jumped on board and started buying M11s.

But other than the train wreck that was the SCAR-17, who’s had legit problems with M4s? Bunch of JSOC sourced DD and LMT pieces, but still classic M4s just built with better materials. And not rode hard/put up wet by 40 previous rotations.

Serious question; not being snarky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    But other than the train wreck that was the SCAR-17, who’s had legit problems with M4s? Bunch of JSOC sourced DD and LMT pieces, but still classic M4s just built with better materials. And not rode hard/put up wet by 40 previous rotations.

Serious question; not being snarky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think that’s a great question.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    I believe .24" quarter of an inch is ideal projectile diameter: possibly less. Regardless to case tech. the bullet needs to be fast: I don't see a 6.8mm getting fast enough without wear and pressure woes with currently fielded barrels. Our enemy is developing hyper velocity weapons as we speak, we need to do the same. Bigger is not always better. Kinetic energy gains is better: time for mass transfer. The shortest period of time we can get the highest mass to outmatch our enemy is what we need to focus on. A large diameter projectile would need to be very light, and this will reduce downrange kinetic energy. It would be ideal for CQB specific weapons. We know long projectiles travel faster in our atmosphere: it's physics and hydro dynamics. Keeping a small diameter projectile with longer length, probably un-leaded with a say stacked graphite crystal "tourmaline structured" core, moving at very high velocity would be very lightweight. I believe the polymer case is good I feel like a hybrid is probably more durable, but if the cartridges were pre-packed in a magazine insert it should work regardless.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    I just met a young man who had spent some time in Afghanistan out at the range. I was shooting a little CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel and showed him a cartridge and he immediately said "that's what the Army needs". I let him shoot a few rounds and his face lit up. He had never heard of the cartridge. I built my first three AR's in that caliber just for fun and have enjoyed every one of them along with the CZ. Stick a 123 Gr Lapua bullet in there and it seems to fly forever, shooters far better than I have had excellent results out to 1000 yard and a little beyond out of an AR platform..

sarky

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    First, I would like to see some detailed specs on that 6.8 round as well as a head to head with the 6.5 Grendel. In fact I would like to see how a 6.5 version this cartridge fares against the 6.8. But for my money, the 6.5 Grendel beats the pants off of the 6.8 SPC. And I've used the Grendel in 12.5 inch barrels out to 600 meters and 22 inch barrels out to 1000 meters.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Done deal by 2022?
    So they say...

https://youtu.be/874qcsynsL0

So, back on track.
    How will this affect the civilian market?
    How will Federal behave when they don’t have the huge military contracts?
    Does anyone know what our military pays per round for 5.56?
    I, for one, am not interested in the new round or weapons system even if it were to be introduced to the civilian market in my lifetime. I had a Tavor, sold it within a year. Shot a SCAR, was not impressed. Something tells me I would not be interested in this one either. I’m just content with my AR, HK, Galil and FN rifles. I did not find the Tavor or SCAR to be any better to carry or shoot, in fact they were actually worse.
    I am interested in the potential of the 5.56 remains and the state that category of ammo and weapons will be left in. I keep hearing a few folks saying meh, or not gonna happen, but kinda looks like yeah, gonna happen. If I had listened to the meh crowd over the years I’d have missed out on many opportunities, so how about the open minded crowd? What do you guys think we are looking at in the next couple years? Will they dump everything into the ABC agencies? If so, that’s something to make note of. I kinda wanna know if my mail carrier has a M4 riding shotgun. Seriously tho, I’m hearing a lot of speculation, some plausible and some off the reservation. Share your thoughts?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom