Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    All or nothing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten View Post
    I'm glad they're going with a larger caliber I couldn't imagine them going smaller than 5.56/223.
    No doubt.
    I’m sure it will be a little while before this gets ramped up, especially since we aren’t in any major conflict at the moment, but I will definitely be watching trends when it comes to the mil surp market. I’ve been shopping surplus since the 80’s and prefer to listen to my logic and the sources that have done me right in the past. I don’t know anyone else sitting on LC 5.56 that they paid 12 cents per round for or 7.62x51 for less than 20 cents per round. I don’t know what a long time is to some of you but it goes by quicker than you might think.
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct it———
    Bangswitch

On Target

User Info Menu

Have they changed the PFT yet? I know big green was talking about it since before I enlisted in 99 and was still talking about it when I got out in 08. And was still just talking about it in 12 when my DAC appointment ended.

Replacing the m9 was writing on the wall when marsoc sourced COTS Kimber 1911s so they could have a reliable handgun, followed by CAG and DEVGRU buying blue label Glock 17s, and then the rest of JSOC jumped on board and started buying M11s.

But other than the train wreck that was the SCAR-17, who’s had legit problems with M4s? Bunch of JSOC sourced DD and LMT pieces, but still classic M4s just built with better materials. And not rode hard/put up wet by 40 previous rotations.

Serious question; not being snarky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All or nothing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by El Pozzinator View Post
    But other than the train wreck that was the SCAR-17, who’s had legit problems with M4s? Bunch of JSOC sourced DD and LMT pieces, but still classic M4s just built with better materials. And not rode hard/put up wet by 40 previous rotations.

Serious question; not being snarky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think that’s a great question.
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct it———
    Bangswitch

Salt

User Info Menu

I believe .24" quarter of an inch is ideal projectile diameter: possibly less. Regardless to case tech. the bullet needs to be fast: I don't see a 6.8mm getting fast enough without wear and pressure woes with currently fielded barrels. Our enemy is developing hyper velocity weapons as we speak, we need to do the same. Bigger is not always better. Kinetic energy gains is better: time for mass transfer. The shortest period of time we can get the highest mass to outmatch our enemy is what we need to focus on. A large diameter projectile would need to be very light, and this will reduce downrange kinetic energy. It would be ideal for CQB specific weapons. We know long projectiles travel faster in our atmosphere: it's physics and hydro dynamics. Keeping a small diameter projectile with longer length, probably un-leaded with a say stacked graphite crystal "tourmaline structured" core, moving at very high velocity would be very lightweight. I believe the polymer case is good I feel like a hybrid is probably more durable, but if the cartridges were pre-packed in a magazine insert it should work regardless.

User Info Menu

I just met a young man who had spent some time in Afghanistan out at the range. I was shooting a little CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel and showed him a cartridge and he immediately said "that's what the Army needs". I let him shoot a few rounds and his face lit up. He had never heard of the cartridge. I built my first three AR's in that caliber just for fun and have enjoyed every one of them along with the CZ. Stick a 123 Gr Lapua bullet in there and it seems to fly forever, shooters far better than I have had excellent results out to 1000 yard and a little beyond out of an AR platform..

User Info Menu

First, I would like to see some detailed specs on that 6.8 round as well as a head to head with the 6.5 Grendel. In fact I would like to see how a 6.5 version this cartridge fares against the 6.8. But for my money, the 6.5 Grendel beats the pants off of the 6.8 SPC. And I've used the Grendel in 12.5 inch barrels out to 600 meters and 22 inch barrels out to 1000 meters.