Making Wax Bullets

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I used to shoot the Rubber types into a box in my fireplace with a target clipped to it while my wife was at work many years ago not may just a few here and there.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I tried loading foam ear plugs, after watching a video of a guy using them as CQ practice ammunition, after a few attempts I found the primer was a little too powerful for the foam. I loaded cardboard or plastic gas checks and it works kinda. I might give the wax a try though.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I tried loading foam ear plugs, after watching a video of a guy using them as CQ practice ammunition, after a few attempts I found the primer was a little too powerful for the foam. I loaded cardboard or plastic gas checks and it works kinda. I might give the wax a try though.

If you have a bullet mold Pam type cooki my spray and hot melt glue works,well.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Pretty cool. We loaded 12ga wax slug shot shells when I was a teen to use to steer cows (not ours) and run off unwanted problems without having the chore of a carcass to deal with. Loaded up a shotshell as per the norm with primer and roughly a quarter powder charge, then the wad. We lined them up in a tray and took them into the kitchen where a steady hand would pour melted paraffin up to the crimp line, let it cool and then back to the carousel to crimp. Pie-yow, wax slugs. Still gotta take care when shooting of course. They were moving. Pull the trigger, no real bang or recoil, but more of a loud poof. Gonna guesstimate muzzle velocity of 500+FPS. The testing we did for effect was a cardboard box and the base of a big pine tree. It would just penetrate the box, knock a fist size chunk of bark off to the wood if you hit it at an angle. When neighboring cows encroached on our place we would go bust them in the hind quarter and easily send even the most brazen bull packing. Accuracy and range were way better than bean bag rounds are now.
    Not sure how many cows I thumped with those rounds but I remember a morning when we had someone’s crazy pack of catahoulas run up on our place and give the animals hell. I busted out the back door and fired a few rounds into the pack that caused a lot of yelping and ran off the nuisance immediately.
    A couple rounds of bird shot would generally clean any wax residue from the bore.

Top Bottom