I Will Stand Against This As Long As I Can! Fair Warning!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You should watch the piece.

I have.

old.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    That has absolutely nothing to do with the imminent widespread usage of AI. I am starting to think you didn't watch the episode. The data mining and info selling was only 1 part of 5?!?

I don't think you understand my original comment.

My apologies. See my first comment with actual text. I forgot about the Reynold's Wrap. Must be all the radiation from these smart devices.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I don't think you understand my original comment.

My apologies. See my first comment with actual text. I forgot about the Reynold's Wrap. Must be all the radiation from these smart devices.

That is the comment I was addressing. It doesn't seem germane to the AI question. I'm confused?!?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Read it again.

Maybe it is not coming through on my computer. This is the statement I see: "Far from an expert, but knowledgeable enough about information sharing and data collection to know that you can't win. You can choose to purchase copious amounts of Reynold's Wrap and live underground or play the game like everyone else."

Addressing this part: "knowledgeable enough about information sharing and data collection to know that you can't win." This is not about AI. This is data mining. I am winning now by not allowing these scumbags into my home.

Addressing this part: "You can choose to purchase copious amounts of Reynold's Wrap and live underground or play the game like everyone else." Again, this does not address the AI question in the episode. I said I choose not to play into the parasitic tech companies hands as long as I can hang on.

Data mining and personal digital information selling is the Genesis of AI. The AI issue, in the episode, foretells of a scary future for American workers, freedomists, privacy advocates, and the overall security of our nation and the world. The actual architects of AI are the ones saying they may be opening the biggest Pandora's Box in the history on mankind. They explain how nefarious it can be. Those that support AI talk about the promise of it's uses to help us, but silently wonder if we will survive it economically and socially.

What am I missing?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You're assuming that you are safe.

I feel pretty confident I am far safer than the vast majority of people playing on the internet with little or no knowledge as to how all this crap works. ;)

What I (personally) fear is if computers can learn as they go along (and it appears we reached that threshold 5 years ago (also in the episode)), then they can be turned against us on purpose. Like hacking, and stealing information that really matters like bank accounts, insurance documents, retirement savings, etc. How you ask? Right now, human thieves have limitations to what harm they can cause because they can't get around certain security measures and protocols. Remember, if you didn't know already, over 90% of all data breaches, and successful phishing scams, and money grabs are caused by humans in the loop that have let the scumbags in. Arbitrarily clicking hot links on BS emails, or having useless weak passwords, etc. But aside from that, let's say you are not exposed from a dummy within your midst. AI comes in to the picture and now a computer is learning as it goes on how to find the vulnerabilities that a human scumbag can't. The possibilities are limitless.

The genius of James Cameron in writing Terminator. It is exactly how this is shaping up in the early stages of AI.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I feel pretty confident I am far safer than the vast majority of people playing on the internet with little or no knowledge as to how all this crap works. ;)

What I (personally) fear is if computers can learn as they go along (and it appears we reached that threshold 5 years ago (also in the episode)), then they can be turned against us on purpose. Like hacking, and stealing information that really matters like bank accounts, insurance documents, retirement savings, etc. How you ask? Right now, human thieves have limitations to what harm they can cause because they can't get around certain security measures and protocols. Remember, if you didn't know already, over 90% of all data breaches, and successful phishing scams, and money grabs are caused by humans in the loop that have let the scumbags in. Arbitrarily clicking hot links on BS emails, or having useless weak passwords, etc. But aside from that, let's say you are not exposed from a dummy within your midst. AI comes in to the picture and now a computer is learning as it goes on how to find the vulnerabilities that a human scumbag can't. The possibilities are limitless.

The genius of James Cameron in writing Terminator. It is exactly how this is shaping up in the early stages of AI.

Bug Out Whale is the other direction.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    My sister sent me an Alexa for Christmas last year, i sent it back. Camera on my laptop I am using now has a piece of electric tape covering it, been there since I got the computer. Siri is turned off on the two iphones and ipads in the house. I don't know if turning off those "assistants" will help but hope so!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    My sister sent me an Alexa for Christmas last year, i sent it back. Camera on my laptop I am using now has a piece of electric tape covering it, been there since I got the computer. Siri is turned off on the two iphones and ipads in the house. I don't know if turning off those "assistants" will help but hope so!

Good going!

Turn off location services too. At least until you need to use your map or gps. Then turn it off again! Those scumbags are triangulating your movement with it on!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’I like that the phone is recording my location. On more than one occasion, I've gone into the Google map timeline to see where I was on a particular day at a particular time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I’I like that the phone is recording my location. On more than one occasion, I've gone into the Google map timeline to see where I was on a particular day at a particular time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can be a very useful tool for many things. That is why it is so disappointing that they can't separate a great concept and technological innovation from their incessant parasitism and need for owning us digitally!

Too bad they can never be trusted!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Hey, Emperor even if you try to stay away from the data mining assholes your data is never safe no matter where you go. Check out the below article and yes they operate hospitals here in LA.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...e-medical-data-you-didnt-know-we-already-had/

That is sad!

I am a true blue capitalist, and I have never been for breaking up big companies, but these companies are run by scumbags that couldn't care less about privacy, liberty, or freedom. They are part of the machine! They understand (all too well), that he who controls the data, controls the power over the populous!

I did notice in the article that they fully intend to deploy AI algorithms within this scheme.

Heaven help us!

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    So, I work in a field that uses AI for productivity purposes. For now. I use it for work because of my role, but I turn 180 in my personal life. I avoid Ggle, fb, etc etc and am always on a vpn. I'm far from perfect, but I'm trying. However, my wife, my parents, etc....they are leaking sieves of data. I try to intervene when possible.

My mind was made up when I read this article recently: https://www.military.com/daily-news...ld-it-pentagon-release-new-ai-guidelines.html

Just compare the US' stance on the use of AI compared to Russia's (and China, and Iran, and.....):

US: "We will not field an algorithm until we are convinced it meets our level of performance and our standard, and if we don't believe it can be used in a safe and ethical manner, we won't field it," Shanahan told reporters during a briefing.

Russia: "Whoever becomes the leader in this sphere will become the ruler of the world." - Putin

Top Bottom