I Want a New OTF Assisted Knife. What Sayeth Ye All?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I'm in for one. Tactical Sand Lightning OTF Knife With A Razor Black Serrated Blade. $34 with free shipping.

http://www.lightningotfknives.com/L...ghtning_OTF_Knife_Tactical_Sand_Serrated.html
    img-Tactical_Sand_Serrated_Lightning_OTF_1.jpg

You’ll enjoy it.
    And you can beat it like it owes you money and not be worried.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well well, nice to see someone buying something budget oriented and not getting bashed for it. I must have woke up in an alternate universe this morning. Well done!

Sure, there are a couple of gear snobs would would wash their hand after touching something like an anderson lower but I would say that getting bashed for buying budget is the exception rather than the rule here.

Define Utility.

I'd use one for opening boxes and mail.

No doubt that will be a bit of the use this one sees. There's not a lot of times I find myself wishing I had one of my knives with me. But when I do, it's usually a small cutting job like a box or rope or something trivial like that. I doubt I'll be lashing it to a stick to make a spear and jumping out of a tree to kill a hog for dinner.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Like I said, these are great quality knives for the price. One you won't be afraid to use and use hard, or cry if you lose it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    OTF knives are not something you want for utility. They're also not something you would want to use for defense or combat. For half the price of a quality OTF knife, you can get high end combat knife that will do anything you need it to all day long for the rest of your life without the risk of wearing and breaking delicate parts. It's faster to deploy a fixed blade from a good sheath than a OTF knife. They make little brother smaller versions of larger combat knives for civilian carry, you'll save a bit versus buying a full size also. I recommend: Tom Brown Tracker Mini

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Sure, there are a couple of gear snobs would would wash their hand after touching something like an anderson lower but I would say that getting bashed for buying budget is the exception rather than the rule here.

No doubt that will be a bit of the use this one sees. There's not a lot of times I find myself wishing I had one of my knives with me. But when I do, it's usually a small cutting job like a box or rope or something trivial like that. I doubt I'll be lashing it to a stick to make a spear and jumping out of a tree to kill a hog for dinner.

The lightning OTF's are neat for what they are, but you most certainly are getting what you pay for. The price is right.

That being said, OTF's in general are not great utility knives. A simple liner lock would be fine. Kershaw even makes decent steel frame lock knives for the budget minded.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Read people!
    They just knew that I wanted to be able to go in my pocket with one hand, and deploy the blade for use in the plant.

I don't mind spending money on good quality equipment, but it is a utility knife. I don't need to tag along with SEAL Team 6. What brands should I be looking at?

Thank you to those of you that actually knew what this post was all about!

That HK is awesome, but the Lightnings are the right price for the intended purpose!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Read people!

Thank you to those of you that actually knew what this post was all about!

That HK is awesome, but the Lightnings are the right price for the intended purpose!

Liner locks, frame locks, axis locks, some slip joints, and some lockbacks are all one handed opening and closing knives. There are many plain utility type knives with those locks.

You just want an OTF, and that's okay too.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Liner locks, frame locks, axis locks, some slip joints, and some lockbacks are all one handed opening and closing knives. There are many plain utility type knives with those locks.

You just want an OTF, and that's okay too.

It's just so much more simpler for the purpose. And now I can get one that retracts itself too. Honestly, didn't know some of them did that too.

BTW; I still have that custom made job horizontally on my belt in a very familiar kydex sheath! ;)

Cannot believe I have not lost that thing over the years. A testimony to the sheath's design! :D

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It's just so much more simpler for the purpose. And now I can get one that retracts itself too. Honestly, didn't know some of them did that too.

BTW; I still have that custom made job horizontally on my belt in a very familiar kydex sheath! ;)

Cannot believe I have not lost that thing over the years. A testimony to the sheath's design! :D

Only automatics will automatically deploy and retract. Thankfully, they are now legal to carry in Louisiana.

- - - Updated - - -

Only automatics will automatically deploy and retract. Thankfully, they are now legal to carry in Louisiana.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Has anyone else ordered a Lightning OTF since this thread was started? I ordered one a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard anything from them, other than the original invoice (doesn't look like they charged my card yet). Sent a couple of e-mails and haven't gotten any response. I just looked up their phone number (not listed on the website) and am going to call Monday. Just curious if anyone else is having problems with them. They have an F rating on their local BBB website, btw...

Last edited:

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I heard that they were hard to get from postings on other knife forums. Seems like when Blade HQ ran out of them new ones became pretty scarce.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I heard that they were hard to get from postings on other knife forums. Seems like when Blade HQ ran out of them new ones became pretty scarce.

My guess is that like most Chineesium products, the factory first makes a comparatively small lot and only continue making what sells best.
    These knives have an odd cult following that grew exponentially.
    In all likelihood fan popularity on the internet, most notably the number of reviews on forums and YouTube, they got viral and supplies ran out before a second lot could be produced and distributed.
    Kind of like water, batteries and ammo being scarce when a hurricane threatens...

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    My guess is that like most Chineesium products, the factory first makes a comparatively small lot and only continue making what sells best.
    These knives have an odd cult following that grew exponentially.
    In all likelihood fan popularity on the internet, most notably the number of reviews on forums and YouTube, they got viral and supplies ran out before a second lot could be produced and distributed.
    Kind of like water, batteries and ammo being scarce when a hurricane threatens...
    This is true. I think also a lot of people who got one saw the quality for the price and decided to pick up another one or two. I tried to get a second one but they were gone before I could get an order in.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Has anyone else ordered a Lightning OTF since this thread was started? I ordered one a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard anything from them, other than the original invoice (doesn't look like they charged my card yet). Sent a couple of e-mails and haven't gotten any response. I just looked up their phone number (not listed on the website) and am going to call Monday. Just curious if anyone else is having problems with them. They have an F rating on their local BBB website, btw...

Same thing. Ordered on the 7th. Site says 7-10 business days for processing. That would have been Friday. One email sent after 7 days and another sent on Friday. No reply. Ordered from the Lightning site itself. Not all of the knives on their site and be ordered. That would seem to suggest the ones that can be ordered are ready or can be produced relatively quickly. I'm not impressed yet either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Sounds like some pretty shoddy customer service to me. Guess if you have one and it breaks it would be best just to trash it. Glad I haven't had any problems with mine.

rocko

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2008
    Greenwell Springs (Central)

I ordered one almost two weeks ago and heard nothing yet, won't respond to e-mails.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Whichever one of us that gets to talk to customer service first, let them know that there are several of us "influencers" that are unhappy and put some pressure on them to make it right for all of us. Tell them we will make a concerted effort to bash them to our thousands of followers if they don't fix all the orders coming from LA. I'll try Monday and report back,

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom