I Want a New OTF Assisted Knife. What Sayeth Ye All?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have two of the Schrade knives pictured below. It was admittedly inexpensive (around $40), so I suppose I am not surprised that they have crapped out. I got it for a Father's Day Gift from the only people I love, and they are by no means experts on knives. They just knew that I wanted to be able to go in my pocket with one hand, and deploy the blade for use in the plant.

I will not bash Schrade either, because when the first one crapped out; they instantly gave me another one to replace free of charge.

So here is what is happening to these two so those of you that actually have these types can advise me on ones that are not as likely to have these problems.

After a while, the deployment button starts getting stuck. Took it apart and fixed it once or twice. Then the lock release starts being ineffective and the blade will not lock in the open position. That is way too dangerous to keep using them. Happened on both.

I don't mind spending money on good quality equipment, but it is a utility knife. I don't need to tag along with SEAL Team 6. What brands should I be looking at?

schrade-schotf8bs-cm-large.jpg

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    For a utility OTF I'd say go with the Lightning OTF if you can find one. Definitely the best bang the buck. I have a couple of high end OTF's but for utility I have used the Lightning for a couple of years and still going strong. Never had any problems with it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    For a utility OTF I'd say go with the Lightning OTF if you can find one. Definitely the best bang the buck. I have a couple of high end OTF's but for utility I have used the Lightning for a couple of years and still going strong. Never had any problems with it.

Why if I can find one? They have a bunch listed on the their website? Which particular model are you referring?

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!

This.
    Not the best otf in the world but penny for penny I consider it the best value for money.
    Mine has been faultless for many years and it’s easy to sharpen.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    If you're looking at the website it is the model LT-BKPL.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I looked for a second for my one for my tackle box a while back and couldn't find one. I see they are available now. May have to pick up another one.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If you're looking at the website it is the model LT-BKPL.

That model is even less $ than these Schrades I have?!?

- - - Updated - - -

This.
    Not the best otf in the world but penny for penny I consider it the best value for money.
    Mine has been faultless for many years and it’s easy to sharpen.

Which model do you have? I kind of like a double edge blade.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    No idea which model I have.
    Looked on bladehq.com and they no longer list it.
    It is a single edge version, though.
    Never failed me and it’s cheap.

I also have a benchmade infidel but I never use it.
    Kind of silly to have an expensive knife and prefer to use the cheap one...

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    No price listed on it. I'll call them and see what gives.

No phone! :(

Answers emails within 72 hours!

If you go to this page: http://www.lightningotfknives.com/Products-LIGHTNING_OTF_KNIVES.html

And at the bottom press "List All" it shows you all of them w/pics and whether or not they are available.

They are all $33.94 :mamoru:

Last edited:

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    If you use youtube, look up nutnfancy lightning otf.
    I’m not a big fan of that channel but he absolutely loves them and gives a great review.

Looked up when I got mine and it was 2013.
    No issues and heavy use.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If you use youtube, look up nutnfancy lightning otf.
    I’m not a big fan of that channel but he absolutely loves them and gives a great review.

Looked up when I got mine and it was 2013.
    No issues and heavy use.

I going to take your word for it. I spend that much for lunch sometimes, and it's gone within 48 hours! :D

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Out the front knives are way cool. Get some Emp!
    I’ve had a couple. But don’t care for them as much as a good solid flip out, auto or not when it comes to utility. They’re a little light on blade and heavy on handle, can and will fail with use, and not really cut out for odd jobs. If you like the double edge blade style, the Gerber covert line applegate type blade is an awesome knife. I opted for the full size auto and I’m happy.
    They were 100 bucks then so I got 2 and put one up.
    Little higher here but still decent price.
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Gerber-Covert-Automatic--3965

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Did you sharpen the top side?

Do you mean the false edge on the back of the blade?
    If so, no sir. That’s an exposed part of the blade and would not lend well to my remaining free of self inflicted injury if sharpened. I have a couple S&W fixed blades very similar to that blade design that are sharpened on both sides, but I don’t have to try to close the blade or carry it in my pocket.
    If you only mean have I tried to sharpen the end of the blade where the plain edge is, then yes, I have on one. I didn’t find any issues in doing so.

- - - Updated - - -

I carry a HK Turmoil otf. Its made by Benchmade. Been carrying it for a couple years now.

80c52341576b9115581817b6a801eebb.jpg

That’s sexy

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Do you mean the false edge on the back of the blade?
    If so, no sir. That’s an exposed part of the blade and would not lend well to my remaining free of self inflicted injury if sharpened.

Yes, that's what I meant. I think you called it a double-edge in the post, so I thought you might have sharpened the false edge. On mine, the false edge tucks all t he way in, so sharpening it wouldn't cut you in your pocket, but you'd have to be careful closing it!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Yes, that's what I meant. I think you called it a double-edge in the post, so I thought you might have sharpened the false edge. On mine, the false edge tucks all t he way in, so sharpening it wouldn't cut you in your pocket, but you'd have to be careful closing it!
    Yeah, hence how I used the word ‘style’. Maybe spear point, but nobody seems to know what I mean when I say that.

Top Bottom