Swimming pools - winterize?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    Okay, I’ve never had a pool until this year. I’ve got an in-ground saltwater pool. I’ve read that some folks don’t do anything special to winterize other than keep them running and clean (obviously) since our temps don’t get below freezing for very long.

What do y’all do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Run it year round. Most modern equipment has auto on when it detects freezing temps. It will over ride any timers you have set. Stay on top of the PH. If you don’t have the freeze feature then run all equipment. Polaris,water features etc. till the temp rises above freezing. Hope that helps.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Keep tabs on the pool temp thru the winter. Once the pool water temp gets to 55 degrees or below(I'm pretty sure that's the temp), the salt generator shuts down and will not produce sanitizer.
    However, be very careful using chlorine tabs, as they contain stabilizer. You can get too high of an amt of stabilizer in a salt water pool by using/supplementing with chlorine tabs in a floating chlorine tab holder.
    Consider shocking from time to time as needed instead.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I tend to backwash more often during the winter too. Leaves, dust, etc., is more prevalent than during the summer and the filter gets more tannins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.

Continue to monitor your filters in your pumps. Keep them clear of debris.

I love to swim in mine, but actually enjoy the respite from babysitting it in the Winter.

By March, I am looking forward to heating the pool to swim early, by August I am thinking about filling that albatross in! :mamoru:

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    Long time pool owner.

Okay, I’ve never had a pool until this year. I’ve got an in-ground saltwater pool. I’ve read that some folks don’t do anything special to winterize other than keep them running and clean (obviously) since our temps don’t get below freezing for very long.

What do y’all do?

I have a concrete in ground pool that I maintain myself.

Pools with Liners and fiberglass pools may be different.

I basically treat the pool in winter just as I do in summer. Measure the Ph keep it between 7.3 to 7.7. I do get by with shocking it every 3 weeks vs weekly once the average ambient temp stays below 65F.

The important thing to prevent pumps and piping from freezing. I let the pool pumps run 24/7 anytime a hard freeze is predicted. When the temp is forecast in the 20's I cover the pumps and exposed piping with an additional cover to trap the pump motor heat as an additional precaution. The pool pumps when running do put out a fair amount of heat and this can be harvested to prevent freezing. You may have to build a cover for it, but between the warm ground, the pump heat and water circulating that will prevent freezing in our area.

BTW pool water even at 40f still has enough heat in it to warm the components above 32F. The equipment simply needs to stay above 32F so even 32.5F will work to prevent freezing.

I purposely do not have a pool heater. That said if you do then the answer is simple. Crank up the pool heater and let the pumps run when the temps get below 30f.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    My mom worked at a pool company for years. She was one of the best around at pool care. Her pool NEVER goes green. In 35 years, the only time its gone sour is after a hurricane when a tree fell in it.

She never winterizes. Keep it up, it should require less chlorine, salt or whatever system you has to keep it algae free. When the temp drops below freezing, leave it running. The ground doesn’t get cold enough in Louisiana to aid in freezing over. (Her are 1/2 in ground, full In ground have less chance of any ice forming, above grounds have better chance). She’s never had a problem even through the hard winters (was in 83?)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom