Preferred setup for Louisiana deer hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Good tip. Going with the Winchester 94.

iu

:mamoru:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Townsend Whelen?
    Subtle nudge towards .30-06?

Yes, and no! Just re-emphasizing the science of accuracy over everything else! Even a well placed .22 LR can drop a deer!

Int the end, your "Louisiana Deer" setup is your decision. Because as you can see, of the ten people who added to this thread, none of us have the same "setup!" :D

DarcMac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I used to use my old scoped 30-06 from hunting in Mississippi when I was younger, but in Louisiana, I find it to be overkill, especially with the limited distance, so now, I just use the old hatchet and doe urine trick.

Wait 'til the deer gets close enough, then I whack 'em with the hatchet! Save a lot of money on ammo!

Last edited:

DarcMac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I used to use my old scoped 30-06 from hunting in Mississippi when I was younger, but in Louisiana, I find it to be overkill, especially with the limited distance, so now, I just use the old hatchet and doe urine trick.

Wait 'til the deer gets close enough, then I whack 'em with the hatchet! Save a lot of money on ammo!

That was a Joke!!! :rofl:

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I killed 3 with my 300 BO pistol. I was hoping to have my suppressor before the season was over but no luck. This year I'm using a Remington model 700 1 in 10 tactical and x39 galil ace suppressed. My son will be using the 300 BO.

Last edited:

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    For you guys who have mentioned low power variable scopes, what are you using?

Seems the 1-6 illuminated scopes are mostly set up with reticles for shooting perps not game. I've been using a dot to good effect as most shots are under 100 yards, but would like to move to a LPV scope in case I need it. Like the primary arms stuff btw.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    For you guys who have mentioned low power variable scopes, what are you using?

Seems the 1-6 illuminated scopes are mostly set up with reticles for shooting perps not game. I've been using a dot to good effect as most shots are under 100 yards, but would like to move to a LPV scope in case I need it. Like the primary arms stuff btw.

I have a 1x8 vortex. My max shot is 100 yds. I zeroed at 100. I dont worry about the other stuff.

Scoie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2020
    My s400 supalite does the job pleasurably

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom