Preferred setup for Louisiana deer hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Pearl River is very similar to where I hunt. I also know the Pearl River well because I too used to hunt there quite often.

You should consider a scope regardless of the confidence level in that 30-30. Why, you ask? Because as stated, you should want to verify the sex (and age IMHO), of the deer BEFORE you shoot at it. Even if you are just going for meat, shot placement should be important.

So, what I used to use as a religion was a BAR 30-06 with a nice, early edition Nikon scope (actually bought it when Nikon first started into hunting optics). My bullet preference was factory Winchester Super X in 130gr. It is/was a deer stacker. I was switching them off instantly with neck shots. Why, you ask? Least amount of blood and gore, and no meat carnage! But mostly for no busted gut bags. I can't stand messing with a deer with a busted gut bag, or shattered legs and bones.

As you say for you, so for me; most shots less than 100yds.

Last year I took it up a notch. Tikka T3x Stainless in .308, with a SIG Whiskey 5 and a can! Why, you ask? For even more precise shot placement.

I have that thing shooting groups of 3 at 100yds where there are only 2 holes in the paper, sometimes 1 1/2. :p So my plan is to take out does at the Axis bone (on the spine) or C2. That's about 1-2 inches under the skull for you laymen. No muss! No fuss! No running!

Some would say that is overkill for a simple deer rifle. I would say so too, but I am not simply deer hunting! I am killing!

As for a buck that meets my criteria? Heart shot for the win! If he meets my criteria for killing, I ain't taking a chance! Call me crazy!

Oh, that Tikka loves Federal Premium Big Game factory loads in......, you guessed it; 130gr.

The 308 is an excellent skull caper!!
    Bang bang!

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Roger that... it’s called a forward quartering shot... perfect entrance and line in front of shoulder through the vitals heart and lung and exit front stomach before the stomach cavity... lol.allows for a excellent blood trail even though all the deer takin subsonic never run more than 30 yards and just look around for the bee that stung them before they start doing the wobble dance as the factory empty’s the motive fluid :mamoru:

Redleg, Redleg.......Ripper Bravo Two. Check your fire; Check your fire (on some of those deer)!

:mamoru:

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Those who hunt subsonic also know... not only can you eat up to the entrance and exit hole... you can eat it... lol *0* meat wasted!!!!

45-70 405gr hard cast @1060fps will punch a 1* hole all the way through... I still don’t understand how a slow .45* bullet makes a 1* hole but I’m happy about it... doing some load testing this thing will shoot through a 1ft thick pine tree at 80 yards... and I have shoot a 7pt in the chest and came out the back end and went 2ft into the ground... this thing has some penetration lol

Attachments

• 62F9E3AE-4007-4E28-A9EE-B375195963A4.jpg
      62F9E3AE-4007-4E28-A9EE-B375195963A4.jpg
      224 KB · Views: 177
    • 8DCD7EA1-2086-45B8-B41D-87F104392120.jpg
      8DCD7EA1-2086-45B8-B41D-87F104392120.jpg
      229.3 KB · Views: 185
    Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I use an H&R in 35 whelen for all now. Fitted with a boyd laminate thumbhole stock an a will's muzzle break it shoots dime groups at 100 yds.

Were you able to do anything to improve the trigger on that H and R ? I have the same rifle and the trigger is terrible.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Those who hunt subsonic also know... not only can you eat up to the entrance and exit hole... you can eat it... lol *0* meat wasted!!!!

45-70 405gr hard cast @1060fps will punch a 1* hole all the way through... I still don’t understand how a slow .45* bullet makes a 1* hole but I’m happy about it... doing some load testing this thing will shoot through a 1ft thick pine tree at 80 yards... and I have shoot a 7pt in the chest and came out the back end and went 2ft into the ground... this thing has some penetration lol

I too am currently enjoying the "Primitive Arms" portion of deer season with a 45-70 Handi Rifle.

It's about as primitive as my computer! :rofl:

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Were you able to do anything to improve the trigger on that H and R ? I have the same rifle and the trigger is terrible.

Removed trigger group and I use an old piece of Arkansas stone to put a very high polish on the sear and all mating surfaces. Then just coat everything with never seize. My trigger breads at just under 2#

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Cool thread! I'll play:

• 2014 Tikka CTR in .308.
    I had the barrel cut back to 16" and installed the newer factory stock, which has a few more features and is more robust.
    • Can: AAC SDN6.
    • Nightforce 3-10 x 32mm with Griffin E-Tac rings.
    • Hornady 168 Grain Match ammo.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Practicing what I preach last night! Almost picture perfect shot placement. Maybe a 1/2 inch too low.

viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]
    viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]

I love evening hunts, when it's cold enough overnight to leave them in the back of my truck so I don't have to mess with them till the next day!
    And you can do that if you don't bust the gut bag! ;)

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Practicing what I preach last night! Almost picture perfect shot placement. Maybe a 1/2 inch too low.

viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]
    viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]

I love evening hunts, when it's cold enough overnight to leave them in the back of my truck so I don't have to mess with them till the next day!

I’m sure it’s superstition from years of doing things one way or another. But even when our high is low 40’s and we dip below freezing for hours over night I just can’t do it. If I left it out I would have to split it ass-sternum and pull the hide. I wouldn’t be able to help myself.

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    Stainless Tikka T3 in .270 Win with Nikon glass. It’s probably 10 years old. It’s got the smoothest action of any rifle I’ve ever shot and is accurate. It also seems to shoot softer than other .270s I’ve had/shot which is great.

I loved hunting with my old .30-30, but don’t trust my eyes at a distance and didn’t feel right putting a scope on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I’m sure it’s superstition from years of doing things one way or another. But even when our high is low 40’s and we dip below freezing for hours over night I just can’t do it. If I left it out I would have to split it ass-sternum and pull the hide. I wouldn’t be able to help myself.

To each his own, but the secret is the in tact guts. You can't (or at least you shouldn't), leave guts in the deer if ANY part of the alimentary system has been compromised. Bile, urine, and **** can really mess your meat up, and your day, if you eat contaminated meat.

As a rule, I only do it over night, and only if I know the temps will be 40 degrees and below by 10:00 pm. BTW; just gutted her and her gut cavity is spotless!

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    You wasted a perfectly good neck roast!!!! Lol nice shot man

viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]
    viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Much respect for the tikka ctr!!! Perfect weight... smooth action... and glass trigger!!!!
    Cool thread! I'll play:

• 2014 Tikka CTR in .308.
    I had the barrel cut back to 16" and installed the newer factory stock, which has a few more features and is more robust.
    • Can: AAC SDN6.
    • Nightforce 3-10 x 32mm with Griffin E-Tac rings.
    • Hornady 168 Grain Match ammo.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

That was child's play at 45 yards, but thanks anyway.

I seriously can't wait to get that first doe with my Tikka setup. It seems a bit heavy with the can, but the can actually gives it some stability up front. It just feels badass when I hoist it to my shoulder and aim at something. Like I was meant to precisely kill deer with it! :dunno:

If I get a shot where I have a rest of some sort, forget it!

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Right :mamoru:

I say that about the shoulders and the ribs too though. Got to hit them somewhere to get any of the meat. I shot low once and shattered both front legs at the chest and gave a doe a haircut on the sternum she bled out pretty quick so she wasn’t hard to find but I didn’t ruin hardly any meat worth fooling with on that one. I felt pretty bad cause she shoveled around on her hind legs. But she sure ate good.

frhunter13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2018
    New Orleans
    Any

Nice thing about Louisiana is that just about any center fire rifle will do just fine. I have averaged the distance of over sixty taken to be 35 yards. You do want a high scope over viewable iron sights in my opinion. At close shots the scope will only hinder. Furthest was 250 yards with a 308. Closest was 5 feet with a 30-30 Win 94.

Last edited:

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    Marlin 336, 3x9x40 tasco and see through mounts from walmart shooting Hornady American Whitetail do me just fine out to 150, 200 with lever evolution. Of 40 or so deer with it I've only had to look for three of them that made it 30 yards without a heart.

johnpaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2016
    metairie,la
    You answered your own question my good man!In shooting and hunting use what you are good with.I hunt in Pearl River WMA exclusively now but hunted in other places that required long shots.I have 2 Remington 308 and an H&R 444 marlin for primitive plus a 12 guage crackbarrel for primitive.I love my rifles and I am pretty good with them,but you know what? In honey island,(Pearl river WMA) I am comfortable with good old fashioned buckshot..yeehaww !! LOL You are confident in that 30-30? Use it with confidence..my opinion

jsquareo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    New Orleans
    You answered your own question my good man!In shooting and hunting use what you are good with.I hunt in Pearl River WMA exclusively now but hunted in other places that required long shots.I have 2 Remington 308 and an H&R 444 marlin for primitive plus a 12 guage crackbarrel for primitive.I love my rifles and I am pretty good with them,but you know what? In honey island,(Pearl river WMA) I am comfortable with good old fashioned buckshot..yeehaww !! LOL You are confident in that 30-30? Use it with confidence..my opinion

Good tip. Going with the Winchester 94.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom