Where’s all this TALO attention coming from?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I had to go see when it was this Co-Op was actually established and I’m wondering why all the attention as of late. Looks like 1965 as far as my google-foo can find. I’m glad to see them come into their own, but what is the deal as of late? Is TALO just another buzz word to get people to spend money? Is TALO the new TACTICAL? Just seems like everyone is suddenly producing a TALO EDITION something or other to cash in on the newest hype. I’m only bringing light to this because I also realized lately that people are referring to products and sporting the acronym like they don’t know what it actually is.
    Truthfully, if the Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma wholesalers have actually persuaded all these manufacturers to produce special limited edition firearms then I’m too impressed for words...and still skeptical as to what is really going on. I mean, does anyone here own a TALO edition firearm from the 20th century? I’m thinking that would be worth something for sure at the moment.
    Any thoughts?

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Distributor exclusive, just like lipseys or sport south. They work with a manufacturer to get exclusive rights to something like fde glocks or a specific feature set and it only sells through their distributorship.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I had a Talo Colt 1911 Dragon series that I bought years ago when it first came out.
    Think it was one of their first collaborations.
    Got it cheap because I used to help out a friend who was an FFL.
    It was as gaudy and unappealing to me as could be because bling just isn’t my bag.
    Sold it years later for about five times what I paid for it.
    Should have kept it.
    Now it has gone up more.

Don’t think this is generally true of Talo since they seem to be pumping them out at an astonishing rate.

Am still looking for a Supreme Commander edition but few were made so I’ll likely never get one.
    Oh well.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Distributor exclusive, just like Lipsey's or sport south. They work with a manufacturer to get exclusive rights to something like FDE Glocks or a specific feature set and it only sells through their distributorship.

Yes, years ago I wanted a Ruger Convertable in 45 Colt with 45acp Extra Cylinder. I was going to order one From Jefferson Gun when there were on David Drive. Kevin looked at them at his sources and said before I ordered one he was checking online.
    He looed and says fir what he was going to sell one to me for I could get a Talo Exclusive Called Accusport. It had better Trigger N Sights for the same. And would rather me order one and send it there for FFL.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As others have mentioned, Talo is a distributor.

Sometimes the distributors will work with the manufacturers to come out with "exclusives." These are usually a stock gun with some minor variation; perhaps a different color plastic or coating, or a different set of sights, etc.

Generally, they're not worth more than the base factory models, but the dealer exclusives do have an interesting history. A distributor whose last name was Beakert asked Smith & Wesson to manufacture a .22 LR version of their .32 Hand Ejector revolver. This became known as the .22/32 Beakert, which evolved into the modern-day Smith & Wesson Models 34 and 35. The original Beakert guns are quite collectible, but that's partially because they date back to the 1920's. Perhaps in a century the Talo guns will be worth more. :-)

Mike

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    This site has plenty TALO-BS Editions
    An example would be a PSA kit build for lets say 450.00
    some member cobbles it together and puts in the for sale section for 750.00 as new un-fired yadda yadda yadda
    Brags on how sweet it is and then proceeds to bump it for 2 or 3 pages for the next year or so,Or make that 4 or 5 pages of Bumpty bump bump...

Is my synopsis close?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    some member cobbles it together and puts in the for sale section for 750.00 as new un-fired yadda yadda yadda
    Brags on how sweet it is and then proceeds to bump it for 2 or 3 pages for the next year or so,Or make that 4 or 5 pages of Bumpty bump bump...

Is my synopsis close?
    Let's See What the Majic 8 Ball Says.......Shake, Shake, Shake
    The 8-Ball Says Yes!

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    But,,,,,,,It includes an Uncle mikes holster and 1/2 a box of bullets

Don't forget It is also Broken In so it is a real bargain, Danny. It saves you time and money to do so your self. And maybe if ya lucky a scratch or 2 so ya do not have to worry about scratching it. That way you can just go about your day carelessly.
    And if you are really lucky they left it uncleaned from when they shot it! So you can see how dirty the Commie Steel Case Ammo they gave ya with it is for future reference.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    As others have mentioned, Talo is a distributor.

Sometimes the distributors will work with the manufacturers to come out with "exclusives." These are usually a stock gun with some minor variation; perhaps a different color plastic or coating, or a different set of sights, etc.

Generally, they're not worth more than the base factory models, but the dealer exclusives do have an interesting history. A distributor whose last name was Beakert asked Smith & Wesson to manufacture a .22 LR version of their .32 Hand Ejector revolver. This became known as the .22/32 Beakert, which evolved into the modern-day Smith & Wesson Models 34 and 35. The original Beakert guns are quite collectible, but that's partially because they date back to the 1920's. Perhaps in a century the Talo guns will be worth more. :-)

Mike
    As I said, I know who and what, I just don’t know the why. Why it’s suddenly all the rage. I do like Gator’s rendition tho.
    The cooperative has been around for over 50 years. I knew about it in the late 80’s. The structure does seem to have changed a bit. But still, all the rage all of a sudden.
    Kinda almost like a gimmick at this point but who knows.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I have experience with talo. I order their products all the time and sell them too. I have spoken with them on the phone also, when I did the guy even asked what I would like to see them come out with next.

They will also sell back guns to a main stream distributor(maybe done at the mfg level also I believe) if they purchased too many or if they have left overs from a limited run that didn't do well. Then a distributor will sell the guns at a discounted price to retailers.

With that being said. Theyre kinda like a senior distributor....a distributor that sells to distributors... for example they buy X amount of lets say Glocks per year from Glock directly and put Ameriglo HD type sites on them. They then will sell to distributors like Lipseys, Sport South, RSR Group, Buds, etc.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    As I said, I know who and what, I just don’t know the why. Why it’s suddenly all the rage. I do like Gator’s rendition tho.
    The cooperative has been around for over 50 years. I knew about it in the late 80’s. The structure does seem to have changed a bit. But still, all the rage all of a sudden.

It's not "suddenly all the rage." Those exclusives and other distributor's exclusives have been around for a long time.

The Wiley Clapp GP100 is a TALO exclusive. It differs from a normal GP100, because it's an exclusive through TALO. Typically, exclusives are slight modifications of the original model that are not offered by the original manufacturer. Those models could be different colors, sights, stocks, or any other simple parts/pieces. Then there are times when the exclusive could be an engraved commemorative model.

Wiley-Clapp-Ruger-GP100-1.jpg

What makes you believe it's "all the rage" now?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    PSA was unloading some Talo Gen 3 Glocks for $399 within the last week.

Was that it or something else that’s garnered them attention of late?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No clue, but TALO editions have been around for years. The fact they still have Gen 3 TALO Glocks is interesting.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!

The Gator edition stocks can be had on ebay by themselves from time to time if you just want to swap your existing 10/22 into it.
    Unfortunately, folks who buy these guns to part out usually want an inflated price for them so it may make sense to just buy the gun outright.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    PSA was unloading some Talo Gen 3 Glocks for $399 within the last week.

Was that it or something else that’s garnered them attention of late?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    (I don’t have to see those posts unless they’re quoted so I never answer)
    I think any gun enthusiast would have to be living under a rock or in denial to suggest TALO has not had its share of hang time lately...

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Is my synopsis close?

The Gator edition stocks can be had on ebay by themselves from time to time if you just want to swap your existing 10/22 into it.
    Unfortunately, folks who buy these guns to part out usually want an inflated price for them so it may make sense to just buy the gun outright.
    For clarification

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    (I don’t have to see those posts unless they’re quoted so I never answer)
    I think any gun enthusiast would have to be living under a rock or in denial to suggest TALO has not had its share of hang time lately...

The funny thing about putting people on ignore is that you can still see when I post.

Top Bottom