Smith & Wesson Model 10-8 Review

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Recently Classic Firearms (https://classicfirearms.com) has been advertising old police trade-in Smith & Wesson Model 10-7's and 10-8's in the $250-ish range. I needed another revolver like I needed a hole in my head, but $250 is dirt cheap for a Smiff and I have a soft spot for those bull-barrels. So I picked one up, expecting that it would be a loaner range gun when I take a newbie out to the range. Here's what I got:

attachment.php

The gun came with an odd cosmoline-ish coating that was mixed with some oil, so I started by completely disassembling the gun and soaking everything (sans grips) in Hoppe's Number 9. The bluing has an odd case-hardening luster to it that may have come from the packing grease, but that's fine ... it's got honest wear and wears its work clothes nicely.

I took it out to the range today, and WOW. This may be the best revolver I've ever shot. The DA trigger is in Colt Python territory, it's so smooth and well timed. The timing and lockup was perfect, so no adjustments were needed there.

The grips have obviously seen a lot of wear, but I didn't have the heart to swap them out.

Smith & Wesson says that the gun was shipped from the factory in 1984, so it's probably just pre-MIM. This is consistent with what I saw during disassembly; everything seems to be made out of good old fashioned tool steel, and it's solid as a rock.

This gun will never win awards for being a safe princess, but at the range it was tack-driver accurate, even with cheap ammo. And because it's seen plenty of action, I'm not worried about it picking up a bit more wear along the way.

For $250 and a good cleaning, this gun is impossible to beat. Of course, the next gun in the pile could be a complete piece of junk, but if the other Model 10's are half as good as this one, they'd still be well worth the money.

Mike

(PS - no, I'm not being paid or influenced to write this post. It's just a glowing review for a fantastic bargain.)

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    I bought a stainless Model 64 a couple of years ago for around that price. I got the SA/DA model as I mostly shoot single action at the range. Super gun, smooth and accurate. And no worries about the finish in our humid climate.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I bought a stainless Model 64 a couple of years ago for around that price. I got the SA/DA model as I mostly shoot single action at the range. Super gun, smooth and accurate. And no worries about the finish in our humid climate.

I also bought one these about a decade or so age that was trade-in. I think I paid close $220 but that one. But it is a DAO model with none of the SA parts even in it and the hammer bobbed from the factory. I agree they are very accurate duty revolvers. I'm glad that one has worked out so well for you.

Dave

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I picked up a couple 10-8s from Bayou Dragon some years back, security company sell-offs, $125 each, LOTS of holster wear and rough grips, one even has a hand engraved inventory number scratched into it, but being security guard guns they were shot very little, just passed around a lot. Terrific purchases, shoot great, they can bang around in my truck or a box of hurricane evac supplies and I don't have to feel guilty about any scratches or blemishes.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As an aside ... it'll be fun to see when a younger generation of shooters that have only known polymer striker-fired pistols "discover" these old revolvers. In some ways, I wish I could rediscover them myself ... the joy of their mechanical simplicity and reliability is something to behold.

Mike

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Thanks for posting

I am with you thanks for taking the time to post.
    I really like S&W Revolvers. My 1st center fire gun was a,S&W 19 the sure are maded well and normally have great single action triggers.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom