30-30 Who is out there still using?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    I have the envie for a 30-30 for some reason, maybe because dad had an affection for them............
    Any of you guys still using for deer hunting?

I seem to remember the guys at one club using the 30-30 with scopes mounts where you could shoot open sight or scope...........is that my imagination

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I have the envie for a 30-30 for some reason, maybe because dad had an affection for them............

I seem to remember the guys at one club using the 30-30 with scopes mounts where you could shoot open sight or scope...........is that my imagination

I use a Winchester 94 in 30-30 quite often. Its my go to rifle. I went the big expensive bolt gun and scope route also but felt the fun had been drained out for me. Went back to a lever gun and started having fun again.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    My extended family shares a love for the 30-30, but not so much from lever guns.
    We share a small collection of savage Springfield bolt action 30-30 rifles in 2 different barrel lengths that most of us started out on since the 1960’s. Box mag means we can load pointed pills and have a little better reach. Lately it’s been Nostler and Hornady poly tip bullets. My youngest will likely be using one of the carbines next season. I’ve often heard more deer have been taken with a 30-30 than any other round. I’m inclined to believe that.

Last edited:

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    My extended family shares a love for the 30-30, but not so much from lever guns.
    We share a small collection of savage Springfield bolt action 30-30 rifles in 2 different barrel lengths that most of us started out on since the 1960’s. Box mag means we can load pointed pills and have a little better reach. Lately it’s been Nostler and Hornady poly tip bullets. My youngest will likely be using one of the carbines next season. I’ve often heard more deer have been taken with a 30-30 than any other round. I’m inclined to believe that.

When I was younger I had an over and under with 30-30 and .22LR. Seems like it was a Savage or something. I wish I still had it but sold it many years ago.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I still carry mine from time to time, killed a deer with it 2 years ago. Usually take it out on a hunt for X-mas.

ajk3rd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I purchased my 30-30 in 1971 and have slayed many a deer with it. I no longer hunt because of age but my very last deer was killed with my 30-30. And by the way, it does not have a scope, strictly ole school. It was my favorite go to gun. It will be passed on to my grandson, a real deer slayer.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I purchased my 30-30 in 1971 and have slayed many a deer with it. I no longer hunt because of age but my very last deer was killed with my 30-30. And by the way, it does not have a scope, strictly ole school. It was my favorite go to gun. It will be passed on to my grandson, a real deer slayer.

Awesome

jsquareo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    New Orleans

My Winchester 94 will be with me this weekend for the opening of rifle season.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs

I broke out my Winchester 94AE the other day and sighted it in. It's been holed up in the safe for too long. It will be going to the stand the next time I get in the woods.

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    Have several expensive bolt actions I use for long range hunting---been using open sight 30/30 for over 50 years
    for woods hunting ---up to around 100 yards ---love my old Winchester 94---also have a old Marlin 336 I use from
    time to time.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I have a 1976 manufactured Winchester 1894 in .30 WCF (or .30-30). It was my old man's and made in the year of my birth. Dad took deer with it, so have I. I have a Williams peep on it, but might put a scope on it.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    Got a couple of commemorative M94's that I shoot for fun on occasion. What I would really like is a little Ruger #1a in 30-30, that would make a nice stalking rifle.

PotatoMuncher

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Lacombe
    I still use my Marlin 30AS in .30-30 pretty often. It's easily one of my favorite rifles to shoot. There's nothing more American than a lever gun.

WJ0T9Z3.jpg

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There’s nothing wrong with the .30-30 for deer if you are a brush hunter like me. I have friends who hunt in Texas or pipeline areas that have really long shots. They like long reaching configurations with scopes that cost more than some rifles. The areas that I hunt rarely offer a shot more than 75 yards.

If the occasion arises I do have some bolt-action or semi-auto options with optics.

Most deer hunts for me are in hardwood bottom land where thickets abound. A short barrel and a comfortable sling are welcome features. Simplicity of operation and dependability are required.

I enjoy carrying a family treasure, a Winchester 1894 carbine, .30 WCF (.30-30). It was made the first week of December, 1941. I take good care of it and don’t have a reason to put a scope on it. Lately I have been using the Hornady “LEVERevolution” cartridges that offer a Spitzer-like bullet that can be used in a tubular magazine.

For me, there is something special about that rifle that was used by three generations before me who also used it to hunt whitetail deer.

In its heyday, the .30-30 was hailed as a cartridge suitable for “any large game on the North American continent.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadEye

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2016
    Metairie, LA
    Not your imagination.

For old top eject model 94's, they used to make side mounts for scopes. I don't know if anyone still does but maybe you could search for a used one. Winchester started making '94s with an angle eject that would allow top mounting of a scope but I do not know if that would allow use of the iron sights too.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    When I was young hunter in far western Pennsylvania during the 1980's I'd say nearly half of everyone we knew used a 30-30 lever gun. I've lived in LA for 22 years now so I don't know what's common anymore. I know a lot of the counties near Pittsburgh have gone to shotgun only.

Dave

Top Bottom