.308 vs 6.5 Creedmore

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    I am looking at getting a new bolt action rifle for hunting. The mental debate I am having is should I go with a .308 or 6.5 Creedmore. The .308 has more kinetic energy at close range but the 6.5 carries it out further. The 6.5 shoots flatter and has less recoil. This rifle will be used for deer hunting. I know there are smarter folks out there then me so give me some education and opinions.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’d go with 6.5 (I did!) but I’m a .270 over 30-06 guy..
    Exciting times with all the new rifles tho. I wound up with a precision rifle, an AR based, and now a off the shelf bolt action I got a deal on and prolly won’t hunt with any of them. Even tho .308 is more plentiful and cheaper, and you can make 6.5 creedmore out of it.. pro’s and cons man, that’s all I got.
    I don’t think you’ll be sorry either way

Last edited:

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    How far do you plan to, can you, shoot out to? Realistically...
    This is for hunting, not playing around and shooting at distances considered "longer range", right?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Both will drop deer DRT and both can mortality wound deer where they can’t be found. It’s all in shot placement and bullet construction. Everyone thinks these ballistic tips are the new hotness, particularly those who like the newer cartridges. So we are seeing more wound loss from the newer ‘cool cartridges.’ But a good old fashioned bonded bullet in any centerfire rifle just about is all you need.

Now 308 vs 6.5creed... the efficacy of the 6.5 extends further than the 308 by a good bit. But the ‘extra knockdown power’ of the 308 a short range is of no consequence, because a kill shot is a kill shot. So for me the 6.5creed is a better cartridge choice than the 308. But back to the bullet thing briefly. The 308 has a wider variety of ammo. I’m not saying the creedmoor is slim pickings but the 308 just has more flavors. Meaning you will find more bonded bullets available which is important if you get a finicky gun that won’t group well with one ammo or another.

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I hunt with both. Go with the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Shot placement should be your primary concern with either caliber. Cartridge selection for 6.5 will only continue to grow. You are correct that it shoots "flatter" which will give you more confidence at longer ranges. It will kill deer/hog/coyote just as well as the .308 with proper shot placement. Don't go cheap on ammo, but find what works best for your gun. There's no reason you should get anything less than sub-MOA accuracy with a decent, modern rifle and quality ammo.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I wouldn't worry too much about one over the other, they both will be fine, but since we are talking about splitting hairs....

Factory 6.5 ammo is pretty cheap and since it is a newer round, I think the specs are held a little tighter, meaning more consistent ammo between different manufacturers. It's more efficient and has less recoil.

As far as a rifle goes:

I was looking for an easy button solution. There is a fella on another forum that sees a ridiculous number of logged rounds down range, he hunts out west, shoots a lot, teaches others to shoot and sees all kinds of scopes, rifles, ammo, big game. I figured he might have an idea since his comments were very consistent. I will paraphrase his suggestion and why and tell you my results thus far.

-Tikka because the rifles are very accurate and very consistent out of the box.
    -6.5 Creedmoor because it's accurate, works, and has low recoil and all of that means you will shoot better when needed.
    -SWFA 6X Scope in mil/mil configuration because it works, it's repeatable, and is quite tough (his other option was Nightforce). He values consistency and toughness over pretty glass with erector systems that fail. Also mind you, he wants a scope you can dial.
    -Sportsmatch rings (TO84) as they are very tough and hold

A couple of his helpful threads putting it together:
    https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../scope-mounting-to-maintain-zero#Post12367363
    https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...w-swfa-scope-reticle-turrets-and-proper-usage

Anyway, I bought the gun this year. I can put 10 rounds in a group at 0.78 of an inch at 100 yards and with a 6X scope, you do have to work at it. It likes all kinds of ammo.... It shoots great groups with $16/box ammo. I'm looking for my first deer with a 143g ELDx of my own making. The bolt is as smooth as most any I have ever used. I really like this combo so far. The gun shoots.

Good luck.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The old fellow in the video has some very good points, but I don't know how relevant they are to this conversation. I guess we need more info from the OP.

I assumed that if the OP is asking as basic a question as ".308 vs. 6.5CM ?", then he's not up to shooting whitetail deer at 600 yards (yet!). Within that range, with proper shot placement, I don't see any issue with quality 6.5CM. Anecdotally (and admittedly not science), I've witnessed plenty of whitetail drop on the spot with 6.5 within 600 yards (and further).

I don't know the old fellow's definition of "big game" - he mentioned wolves and grizzly bears decimating game population, and shooting elk at out to 1300 yards, so I'm guessing he's further northwest, where the big game are, well... bigger. He seems to be focusing on extreme examples and combinations of huge animal/excessive distance/tiny bullet.

I agree that's crazy, but not what I thought the OP had in mind. Maybe he can elaborate.

Last edited:

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    6.5 CM is way more fun to shoot than .308 at any range, will do the business the same at any range, has superior sectional density, ballistics, recoil characteristics, and is all around a better rifle choice in my opinion. Also ammo choices for the 65CM are in abundance, with a great variety of choices of bullet type, and weight combos. 65CM is the new .308.

It has also been my experience that 6.5 caliber in general has been less picky than any of my .308's as far as developing pet loads.

Last edited:

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    -Tikka because the rifles are very accurate and very consistent out of the box.
    -6.5 Creedmoor because it's accurate, works, and has low recoil and all of that means you will shoot better when needed.
    Good luck.

Tikka is what I have narrowed my search to. I am in the decision mode as to which caliber to purchase. The longest shots we have at the camp are around 350-400 yards. I don't if I will have a chance to shoot anything over 400 yards. I have a 7 Mag for larger game then your average LA-MISS whitetail.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    The old fellow in the video has some very good points, but I don't know how relevant they are to this conversation. I guess we need more info from the OP.

I assumed that if the OP is asking as basic a question as ".308 vs. 6.5CM ?", then he's not up to shooting whitetail deer at 600 yards (yet!). Within that range, with proper shot placement, I don't see any issue with quality 6.5CM. Anecdotally (and admittedly not science), I've witnessed plenty of whitetail drop on the spot with 6.5 within 600 yards (and further).

I don't know the old fellow's definition of "big game" - he mentioned wolves and grizzly bears decimating game population, and shooting elk at out to 1300 yards, so I'm guessing he's further northwest, where the big game are, well... bigger. He seems to be focusing on extreme examples and combinations of huge animal/excessive distance/tiny bullet.

I agree that's crazy, but not what I thought the OP had in mind. Maybe he can elaborate.

There are videos of bull elk taken at over 600 yards with the 6.5 man bun.I probably won't reach out that far though. Critters get to where they can step out of the way when you get to far out (by luck). I don't want a good shot to be a bad shot and wound a critter by happenstance.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Yeah that’s the fun of getting opinions.

I’m not a big fan of crazy long shots on game animals. I find it unethical honestly. The problem is I don’t really know where I’m willing to say that’s too far for anyone. I know where it is for my capabilities and that’s 350-400 yards past that I’m not taking the shot. To each his own but I don’t believe 1,300 yards is an ethical shot on a game animal even for Nick the Reaper Irving. The Talaban? sure. But game animals are a resource and we should respect that resource and not take crazy risk at wounding an animal that isn’t recoverable. Sometimes it happens with the best of circumstances but we have a responsibility to mitigate the wasting of resources.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    There are videos of bull elk taken at over 600 yards with the 6.5 man bun.I probably won't reach out that far though. Critters get to where they can step out of the way when you get to far out (by luck). I don't want a good shot to be a bad shot and wound a critter by happenstance.

I think that’s the difference between respecting, sometimes even loving them and hunting as a thing to do.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I shot 308 for most of my life. Right now I’m looking at Creedmorr vs Grendel.
    I have one of each of those, and both are real shooters. But my favorite hunting rifle is an old 30-06 that’s at least as old as I am. It’s sentimental, but also the cartridge gives me a little extra confidence, and for a nearly 40 year old gun it’s a fairly straight shooter. When I upgraded the glass last year it made me want to shoot it even more.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I am with y'all. I only take shots I feel comfortable taking. I will not shoot unless I can get an quick ethical kill within my skill level.

Same here,Behind the ear about 1/2,Center mass on the neck,Heart shot,I will not shoot one strait on looking at me nor will I attempt a Texas heart shot!

Have both, hunted with both, and love both, but the only real advantage for Grendel over Creedmoor is if you want AR-15 platform vs AR-10

With the rise of killer hog pack's and a lot of hunting clubs require you to blow away any and all pigs + coyotes then the 2 platforms you mentioned would be ideal in my humble opinion !

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom