22lr AR Conversion

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have 2 Colt ARs in 5.56 NATO. And bought a conversion since they just sit in the back of the safe. One is a,SP1 CAR-15 And being an early gun has a the 1 in 12 Twist Barrel.
    The other is, 1990 Colt 20 inch H-bar 1 in 7
    So wonder if the 16 inch 1 in 12 is to slow to be used with it?
    The Evil Black Guns need to be used. They are starting to think I am. Democrat who locked them away. Help them.
    Also as,a,side note I bought 40,000 rounds ofc Surpluss 22lr the Goverment Issued for this very intention. The lead where it bore rides is made for that very use. As it makes better contact.
    Note #2
    I bought the conversion here in the classifieds. And already had 5 Black Dog Magazines since I have a Sig 522.
    Note #3
    I want 99 percent of what is,listed in the Classified Section thank God I have not Won the Lottery :rofl:

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The 1 in 12 will be better than the faster twist. You really need a 1 in 16 twist rate barrel. So enjoy what you have and shoot hell out of it.

Bryan

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    The 1 in 12 will be better than the faster twist. You really need a 1 in 16 twist rate barrel. So enjoy what you have and shoot hell out of it.

Bryan

Thanks. I had no idea what a 22lr barrel would need to be. As just have factory 22 rifles and never thought about what they were. The plan is shoot the AR with 22 and also shoot some Standard Vol. CMP 22LR I have thar shoots,great in my Remington 513T

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Somebody already said it, but yep, most .22 rifles are 1:16 and that’s what your high velocity 22 ammo likes (1250fps). 1:12 is ideal for subsonic ammo, especially those 60gr Aguilas, if you can get them to feed and cycle the bolt. Honestly, when it. Ones to converting a AR to .22, I’ve had better luck using the most shot out and loose of rifles in my collection.

Top Bottom