ATF Kills Controversial Program that Fast-Tracked Applications for NFA Items

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) has scrapped a controversial pilot program that expedited applications to purchase items restricted under the National Firearms Act (NFA), including suppressors and short-barreled rifles.

Knox Williams, the President and Executive Director of the American Suppressor Association, told GunsAmerica that the ATF had instituted the program to speed up wait times that in some cases have taken over a year. The program targeted individual applications (as opposed to trusts) that did not contain any errors and moved them through the system noticeably more quickly. In some cases, individuals had their items within 60 days of submitting their Form 4’s.

In order to find error-free applications and move them up the chain, however, agents often put others on the back-burner, especially applications that were submitted as part of a trust.

The ATF cut the program, according to Williams, because “they were getting a lot of negative feedback from folks who had been in the queue for a year or more.”

Williams expressed sympathy both for the program’s supporters and detractors.

“I understand. It’s not fair if people are cutting in line,” he said. “But the flip side of that coin is, if nothing is holding an application back, why should it be held up just to wait on other applications?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/exclusive-atf-kills-program-fast-tracked-nfa-items/

Am I missing something here? Is there a different process between an individual form 4 and a form 4 with only one person listed on the trust?

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    May be apples and oranges, but I had a Form 1 suppressor approved 13 days after I sent my fingerprint cards (priority mail.

The total days involved after electronic filing on a Sunday and 1 Federal Holiday was 16 days until approval. I would hope they all go as fast.

This was with my trust for my first Form 1.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    May be apples and oranges, but I had a Form 1 suppressor approved 13 days after I sent my fingerprint cards (priority mail.

The total days involved after electronic filing on a Sunday and 1 Federal Holiday was 16 days until approval. I would hope they all go as fast.

This was with my trust for my first Form 1.

Yeah it totally is a different comparison between efiled form 1 to paper filed form 4 but only because of the way that ATF handles things. It really shouldn’t be, but it is.

So just a few things. First off, Knox Williams is, in my opinion, NOT a reliable source of information. In fact I think the ASA is, by and large, a bunch of ass clowns. They were primarily funded by Josh Waldron of SCO to push the HPA and now that it unfortunately failed they are struggling to justify their existence.

Right now the relationship between the industry and NFA Branch is as difficult as it has been in the eight years that I have done this. I don’t know why but they are taking a very adversarial position on a lot of issues. It’s their ball though so we have to play by their rules and we are.

I’m meeting with a bunch of industry folks at SHOT and we are going to try and link up with the NFA Branch folks while we are there and see what can be done to move things along. They have kicked the can on efile Form 4s out to 2021 which kind of sucks.

I can tell you there is no difference between individual Form 1s and an single person Trust except for a training experiment NFA was doing. In fact some of my buddies in the industry have started seeing super fast turn times on trust filings not too long ago. But that’s not something we promise or promote because it’s not a constant. The only thing that has been a constant since I started in this industry is that the sooner you file, the sooner you get it back.

If you really want to do something start writing your congressmen complaint about F4 turn times. The only people that any government agencies really listen to are congress because that is who controls the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom