My 1st Guns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Warning! This story should only be read by Major Right-Wing Persons.
    If read By a Lefty you do so at your own risk! It will make a Democrats Headspin like Sybil Sheperd's in the Exorcist.

This is my 1st gun.
    As a young man of 14 my dad said I could have my own pistol to shoot at the range if I paid for it.
    What great way to teach a kid to work and save as well as value of money.
    So I cut grass here and there and picked up quite a few jobs.
    Now keep in mind my dad was best friends with a gun-shop owner and gunsmith.
    So as a kid I would get to sit on the soft drink machine and see guys come and go and hear them BS about stuff. Also lots of cops would come in with the story of the week.
    Anyway, I was 16 before I had the cold hard cash to get the used MK1 Mr. Phil had. It was one of his he had taken and tuned the ejector. Polished the Trigger, Ramp, etc.
    He made me a killer deal.
    The gun still shoots like the day I got it. I did touch up with it a ittle with Oxpho Blue
    At 16 I was able to work a real job and saved for a used car and some cash for 1911. Sadly Mr. Phil got sick and later Died. So the deposit for the 1911 Colt he was going to up for me was converted into cash using in-store credit. And that netted me a 6* Nickel S&W Model 19.
    As things would have it a person of my age had little cash for .357 or 38spl. Ammo.
    But I was given 500 rnds 38 and 200 rnds 357 with it.
    So that started me into reloading with a Lee Loader and Plastic Hammer. Dad said if I did well with it he would get me a RCBS Single Stage Rock Chucker. Which he did after some time.
    Still, no 45 so saved again. No luck as dad said I had a center-fire to feed already!
    That he really wanted me to get the Sweet Colt 1911 Ace as 22lr Standard Velocity and was cheap and clean.
    So did what any resourceful guy would do.. later on bought a Colt Series 70 Slide Barrel and bushing out of the paper Shot-Gun News and had it fitted. So did what so many guys do but backward.
    As A kid I went with dad to the local Kenner Indoor Range. Mr. Remy Knew My dad and me since we went once a week. But when I bought myself a car at 16. At this point, I started to go 3-4 times a week with a Friend. Now a few times guys would ask if i was old enough to Mr. Remy he would say he is 18 and drove his own car here and loads his own ammo he looks young for his age.
    The K-Mart 22lr Sunday Sale Paper netted me piles of cheap 22lr. And trips to Chalmette Gun And Jewelry gave me great deals on standard velocity 22lr for the Colt Plus it was nice to window shop that store. Steve Geraci and Steve Collra were great guys who always gave me great deals.

Attachments

• 20191124_152153.jpg
      20191124_152153.jpg
      245.9 KB · Views: 82
    • 19-1.jpg
      19-1.jpg
      235.2 KB · Views: 107
    • 1911 Ace.jpg
      1911 Ace.jpg
      89.1 KB · Views: 474
    • 1911 Ace 45.JPG
      1911 Ace 45.JPG
      132.4 KB · Views: 486
    Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Hers a shot of the MK1 with some G-10 Larry Davidson made for me

Attachments

• MonkeyGrips001.jpg
      MonkeyGrips001.jpg
      132.3 KB · Views: 74

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    This story is all wrong.

Clearly nobody that you were entitled to other peoples' property, and that earning money to pay for it gave you unfair privilege over others. And since you were only 16 at the time, it all bordered on child abuse.

(in all seriousness ... that's a great collection you've got there!)

Mike

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Don't understand what being right wing has to do with reading any of this story. I'd be happy to have a member of any political party read this, not to mention feel welcome here. Hell they might even shoot or ask someone to take them after reading a story of someone working hard and saving to be able to enjoy the shooting hobby.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Great story, I enjoyed the read!

I am sure there are plenty of dems who have a similar story about being young and saving their money, except they are buying something else, car, vacation, whatever.

The current crop of entitled young people (not all young people btw) are a result of popular culture, bad parenting, and overexposure to the (possibly fabricated) extreme monetary success of social media tycoons. They lack the balance of real life. The media are not helping either, of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom