B.F.Goodrich Tire Question?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Anyone ever seen this crap?

My sidewalls are splitting out on these TA's,I had these replaced last week since the truck steering had a pronounced ''Death Wobble'' even at 55 and more pronounced at 70/75

Judging from the split's Its about to get real nasty if or when these puppies blow out,All 4 has cracking/splitting issues.

4 years old Mfg in 2015

Attachments

• Tires 11-24-19 002.jpg
      Tires 11-24-19 002.jpg
      213.8 KB · Views: 145
    • Tires 11-24-19 003.jpg
      Tires 11-24-19 003.jpg
      212.1 KB · Views: 129
    • Tires 11-24-19 023.jpg
      Tires 11-24-19 023.jpg
      42 KB · Views: 144
    • Tires 11-24-19 024.jpg
      Tires 11-24-19 024.jpg
      42 KB · Views: 143

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    How many miles---from the looks of #2 pic looks like they may have had a rough life---what are they on---I've used TAs for years but have never had a problem---

Rodger that,This was on a F-150 4x4 and somewhere in the 61.5K range,I could or should have gotten another 10K out of these.

Thread's look good btw.

Ran some on my Jeep for years,Never had this type of problem at all.

Attachments

• 6.5 11-27-19 023.jpg
      6.5 11-27-19 023.jpg
      238.7 KB · Views: 115
    • 6.5 11-27-19 024.jpg
      6.5 11-27-19 024.jpg
      244.4 KB · Views: 108

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    Nothing I've ever seen on a four year old tire---one I could understand but not four on the same vehicle ??????????

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nothing I've ever seen on a four year old tire---one I could understand but not four on the same vehicle ??????????

All 4 without a doubt,I took a lot of pictures,Still had plenty of thread left,These are billed as high mileage tires,All 4 were made on the 7th week of 2015

Hub City is sending ( Or they claim) all 4 back to BFG,

I posted these on another web site,Nobody has ever seen such a thing as this.

Like I said before,I've ran these on a Jeep,Nothing to report on the BFG's

Everyone else,Keep an eye out if your running BFG's

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    Back in the ‘90’s, BFG Radial A/T’s were all I ran when I lived in South TX. Saw this rather frequently. Would have sidewall “dry-rot” with plenty of tread life remaining. On a side note, I was pretty rough on them....South TX pear patches, West TX rocks, Padre Island sand. Had them on a Jeep CJ-7 and a Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban. It was always disappointing to have to bu6 new tires with what was inevitably plenty of tread life, remaining.

Sent from the ISS using Tapatalk

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Back in the ‘90’s, BFG Radial A/T’s were all I ran when I lived in South TX. Saw this rather frequently. Would have sidewall *dry-rot* with plenty of tread life remaining. On a side note, I was pretty rough on them....South TX pear patches, West TX rocks, Padre Island sand. Had them on a Jeep CJ-7 and a Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban. It was always disappointing to have to bu6 new tires with what was inevitably plenty of tread life, remaining.

Sent from the ISS using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up man!!!

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    I'd say it had more to do with the "Death Wobble" causing undo stress on the outer tread. Had your front end parts checked lately? (tie rods, upper/lower ball joints,etc...) Ever had those wheels re-balanced since they were installed ?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I'd say it had more to do with the "Death Wobble" causing undo stress on the outer tread. Had your front end parts checked lately? (tie rods, upper/lower ball joints,etc...) Ever had those wheels re-balanced since they were installed ?

I had new skids put on last week,The wobble is gone ....BUT I do indeed plan on a return trip this week and have the front end checked out,Along with a case of Coor's Lite

I've found that if you take care of your service manager,He in return will make a real effort to take care of you!

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I saw this on an under inflated tire that was on a pickup that had a loaded tool box on that side.. I never did like TA due to the poor wet weather traction I experienced with them in a chevy 1500.. (not my truck that had issues with tire, was there when I was getting service)

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    How much air pressure are you running in them? They are load Range E and require at least 55psi. I run 60 in my fronts and 70 in rears, 80 in rears when towing.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    How much air pressure are you running in them? They are load Range E and require at least 55psi. I run 60 in my fronts and 70 in rears, 80 in rears when towing.

Well,These were under a maintenance contract at the ford dealership locally,Supposed to be rotated every oil change and tire pressure checked,
    I don't recall just off the top of my head IF any tire pressure was recorded on my paperwork at the time of service.
    One did get low due to a nail in the tire and the road hazard part was covered by the warranty.
    As with any auto and this truck as well,When the tire got low it pulled to that side telling me that Houston we have a problem.
    Ended up with the dealer putting in a patch.
    But Thanks for the heads up about the pressure!!!

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter

He's in an f-150, 55lbs way too high for that truck in any normal tire reguardless of its load range. Underinflation problems come from excessive sidewall flex that generates more heat than the polymers can handle. If your sidewalls have almost no flex at 40lbs of air, putting another twenty wont make any difference.

This is a manufacturing defect, delamination like this happens when layers aren't bonded properly, the same thing that causes cheap re-treaded tractor trailer tires to throw the caps.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    On a side note, Toyo Open Country tires did something similar just recently....but, I had a lot of miles on these. Tread was worn....but, not to the point of replacement. Wife and I were out shopping. Had the window down for the dog and could hear the air blowing out of the tire. Stopped and looked and saw the leak coming from a sidewalk split. Tried to make it back to the house real quick....that definitely did not work! I think I was lucky to make it to Discount Tire on the 13 y/o spare that had never previously touched the ground!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxDWRLkhtDS/?igshid=1suhc4dsa3iyw

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Well hell , Got on Facie Bookie and sent BF Goodrich some pictures in both public forum and private message......

As I suspected,The public question and pictures disappeared .....Like ''Poof'' Faster than Puff The Magic Dragon!!!

Now the PM from BFG wants to keep it private and here is a spiffy toll free number,Call and speak to one of our ''Adjuster's''

I'm certain that I could possibly be offered a % of the cost based on the mileage. More than likely something lower than a rattlesnake kraut in a wagon rut...lol

andysteb

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 27, 2017
    Hahnville, la
    I've had bad luck with BFG all terrains on 2 different trucks.

I had a Toyota 4x4 back in the day, the tire delaminated and the tread took out the rear quarter. When I pulled over, three quarters of the tread was off of the tire. Tire was still inflated and just separated between the belts.

On another truck 3/4 ton Chevy, same thing happened. Lucked out this time and it didn't do severe body damage. I had to use a little rubbing compound to remove the rubber swirl marks that it left behind. Also had a few scratches from the steel belts on the side of the truck. Same thing on this one, Tire was still inflated, just separated between the belts. I ended up replacing all 4 tires back with BFG. On the second of BFG's after about 40,000 miles, I had 2 of them replaced for free because of a factory recall.

I always refer to the tire manufactures load tables for proper inflation pressures. I also insure the tire fits the proper rim width.

Top Bottom