Two-way radios help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I know ZERO about two way radios, so hoping for some recommendations. I need a pair, to be used by me and my son who is now hunting in his own stand. We are in the woods, max distance would be a few hundred yards i’d say. Main concern is reliability 100%. Anyone recommendations on brands, etc? Thanks

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Our Church Security Team has used Midland Radios for many years without any issues. Model in use purchased at Bass Pro is ALR5MOP.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Our Church Security Team has used Midland Radios for many years without any issues. Model in use purchased at Bass Pro is ALR5MOP.

I see Midland has a few different options in that price range. I’m guessing it would be a pretty safe brand to go with.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have been using their radios for many years. They are handy when 2 or more vehicles are traveling on vacation or you need to find your wife/husband when shopping in a large mall, etc.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    I've never had good luck with any of these beyond 100 yards or so with clear line. They advertise 5 miles, more like .5 miles. Tried most major brands. Prepare to be disappointed, but if you find some that actually work well, let us know.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I know ZERO about two way radios, so hoping for some recommendations. I need a pair, to be used by me and my son who is now hunting in his own stand. We are in the woods, max distance would be a few hundred yards i’d say. Main concern is reliability 100%. Anyone recommendations on brands, etc? Thanks

Heathen!!! Get that boy an IPhone 10 !!!

Magpie

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Aug 1, 2007
    Gonzales
    You're welcome to try these brand new ones I've never used them. You can see If they work for you before buying some. I'll pm you.
    885f0e4137a26875839e042ed31e38f1.jpg

Sent from my H1711 using Tapatalk

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I've never had good luck with any of these beyond 100 yards or so with clear line. They advertise 5 miles, more like .5 miles. Tried most major brands. Prepare to be disappointed, but if you find some that actually work well, let us know.

You do realize .5 miles is more than 100 yards right.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Join the Feng gang. Get some Baofeng UV5R radios with extended antennas.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    To gator, he actually has a small iPhone that I sometimes put minutes in, but it will defeat the purpose because he won’t see the deer, and will kill the battery.

He has a cheap $20 set of Baofeng from Walmart that we tried the past two days, they worked great and had good reception..until the call button stopped working on one of them and he panicked when he couldn’t hear me anymore lol. I want to prevent having to rush to his stand in the middle of a hunt by making sure they stay working. He is still a hit young

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    To gator, he actually has a small iPhone that I sometimes put minutes in, but it will defeat the purpose because he won’t see the deer, and will kill the battery.

He has a cheap $20 set of Baofeng from Walmart that we tried the past two days, they worked great and had good reception..until the call button stopped working on one of them and he panicked when he couldn’t hear me anymore lol. I want to prevent having to rush to his stand in the middle of a hunt by making sure they stay working. He is still a hit young

Little man should be what,8 or 9 years old by now,I know he's a seasoned deer hunter to boot, I think perhaps another set of Baofeng's as back up should keep him in the clear.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    +1 on the Midlands. The 2pin ear piece works well. Solid radios for the price.
    Agreed. I used this set up with my oldest son and we were using 5 mile FRS radios in thick high canopy hardwoods with hills. Ear bud with lapel mic. No problems. Even helped him see a deer walking up his six so he could get turned around and ready before the deer got too close. He was in a ground blind and would have given himself away if he had tried to move any later. Great peace of mind when turning a youngster loose on the hunt, but shouldn’t replace a common sense game plan if comms are lost.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    You could go with any flavor of the Baofeng radios and use GMRS frequencies legally or illegally - I'll leave that up to you.
    Either way, you'll get more power output than any of the blister pack radios. A GMRS license is good for 10 years and only requires a $70 fee. Only one of you would need a license. You can legally allow your immediate family to use the same license.

Or you could both study for and get your ham radio licenses. Then you could use the Baofeng radios through already established repeaters that may be in the area of your hunting grounds. Don't try using the ham radio repeaters without a license though.

Send me a PM if you want to ask me some more questions about this.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    I’m a HAM and used radios in the military. I recommend a set of btech MURS radios. You can buy a multi pack for the entire family. About $65 for a pair. MURS does not require a license and you can run better antennas. The frequency range works better in forests and has greater energy to transmit. They are Big Bang for the buck and many folks like myself use btech radios. Yeasu and Motorola are the best high end but I think it’s a challenge to find MURS. And MURS can be legally utilized with privacy codes like HAM and VHF / UHF. Some MURS were produced with full encryption Kenwood O think did a simple encryption. The Midlands are okay but for the same or less money btech is the way to go.

johnpaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2016
    metairie,la
    2 way radio

Well..I tried motorola 25 mile radios in honey island way back after storm,did not work very well I guess because of the trees.So after they fixed the cell phone reception problems,we just text now.They do work well when traveling in vehicles and keeping in touch while shopping around

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom