More ‘.40 is dead’ nonsense...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    How’s the compact handle? I got a full size 9mm and .40 in the early 90’s I think. I know it was the year they came out. I actually paid more for the .40 cal. I think around 600ish. Bought another last year for $350 looking 99.5% new in the box. Crazy. I bet the compact makes for a real decent EDC.

I shoot it very well, but I am an avid shooter. Those who don’t shoot anything above 9mm will not like it. No malfunctions for over 5,000 rounds. I actually use 10 rounds per mag in double tap strings decocking after every double tap. I shoot an equal number of mags in two hand, strong, and weak hand.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    My daily carry is a Walther PPS in .40. lots of rounds down range (6-700)for training, and not a single failure. No complaints about mine

I have one as a pocket carry. It is a pocket rocket, but I can shoot it right on the money even with my left hand. Very accurate!

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Nothing wrong with a 40,just every caliber past 9mm beats it in ballistics.

Oh and the fact that 387 rounds were fired from 27 officers at 2 thugs
    and the only thing that was wounded was 4 buildings and a stray cat
    in the alley.Just sayin

Not putting down any LEO ,but they are not trained like any military
    personel.The 40 snaps too much too get back on target and as we all
    know,the faster you fire,the less you hit.

The spray and pray issue is another discussion. We have seen similar results with 9mm. You can’t just pin that on a caliber.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    As we all know 9mm real problem was available ammo that is no longer what holds it back. So less and less are going 40.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’m liking that I got some feedback but I’m still surprised at the few here that think the 40 is obsolete, dead, not popular, even in the face of members acknowledging they own, shoot and or carry one. And the recoil thing has always puzzled me. I can tell a slight difference in recoil between the two calibers in full size pistols. I’ve got both calibers in full size Beretta, HK, Glock and Walther. I have shot them all in pairs to see the difference and it ain’t much. More noticeable in the compacts but nowhere near unmanageable or a problem. I’ve noticed more difference when I shoot a .357 and switch from .38 to .357 mag ammo. Still nowhere near a problem. So far to date, every argument for giving up the 40, killing the 40, ignoring or forgetting about the 40 are weak and mainly unrealistic. Last thousand rounds of good range .40 ammo cost me 21 cents per round to my door. I paid less than that for some aluminum cased federal a few months back. Average for 9mm at the moment is what, 15-16 cents per round?
    I just bought a couple of brand new FN pistols in .40 S&W at a ballpark savings of about $300+ per gun, not to mention a bunch of $5 magazines. So I’m no mathematician, but at a 5-6 penny difference per round, I’m thinking $300+ will buy a lot of .40 cal ammo over 9mm, lemme see..oh screw it, $300 is a lot of nickels! You’d have to buy over 6 thousand rounds of 9mm before you started saving money past the savings I got on the gun alone. 6,000 rounds...kinda like when someone justifies spending thousands of dollars more on a vehicle that gets 15 more mpg and cites the savings in gas money to justify the purchase. By the time the car loan is paid off and they’re looking at new cars they start to recoup some change in their pocket, or something like that. I’m wondering if I sold any of my 9mm handguns today and included in the ad that they only have 6,000 rounds down the pipe, would that make a difference to anyone here? Would that be cause to argue price point?
    Like I said, weak argument.

But I’m here for you. Sick of that .40 pistol or ammo taking up space in your gun room, gimme a holler.

Last edited:

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I don’t think 10mm will ever die but it will never be mainstream either.
    Why? Think Alaska.

However, I do believe that the .380 is definitely on the decline and it will likely never totally die out.
    There are just so many .380 platforms out there that use it.

And I do hope that .45 GAP does bite the big one since it would utterly infuriate Gaston.
    It was bad enough that SAAMI refused to designate it .45 GLOCK like he wanted but if it died out he’d be inconsolable.
    I say this being a Glock fan, just don’t like the ego he brings with it.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I want a 10mm

Attachments

• superjagare_532x495.png
      superjagare_532x495.png
      38.7 KB · Views: 67
    • Super-Jagare-Shoot.jpg
      Super-Jagare-Shoot.jpg
      29.9 KB · Views: 64
    Last edited:

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    Are you saying that I wasted my time reloading 1000+ rounds of .40 a few weeks ago?
    Wingate

alecgreen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    all of my pistols (11 of them) except my 1911s are .40 caliber.
    to be honest I think the genius in the video made the remarks he did just to get people to watch his video. .40 caliber ammo is not all that much more than 9mm and it's a much more savage round. flies a little slower than a 9mm but it causes nearly TWICE the damage. I've watched several tests where a 9mm round wouldn't even pierce the target and a .40 cal round put a big ass hole. I think it may all come down to preference but I prefer to leave a big ass hole left in my target.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’m ready for it to die just a little bit more if these deals keep coming...

8a3497599d00d6f82db652aaa4556f00.jpg

e618871976e56647f641882d1dd3f91b.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2019
    Waller Texas
    Check you’re local Walmart for Winchester USA ammo. I found 9; 40; 45 on sale lately. 9mm nato, the 124gr. stuff, for $25 per 150rd box. 40S&W - $30 per 200rd box (165gr.) and $35 per 200rd. box of .45s (230gr.) it ain’t delivery, but at that price I can stand to walk back to sporting goods while the old lady is doing her rat killin’.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    to be honest I think the genius in the video made the remarks he did just to get people to watch his video. .40 caliber ammo is not all that much more than 9mm and it's a much more savage round. flies a little slower than a 9mm but it causes nearly TWICE the damage. I've watched several tests where a 9mm round wouldn't even pierce the target and a .40 cal round put a big ass hole. I think it may all come down to preference but I prefer to leave a big ass hole left in my target.

Not at all true but enjoy your .40 pistols.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles

link to these 9mm not "piercing the target?" Thanks

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom