More ‘.40 is dead’ nonsense...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Man I’m gonna open this thread by apologizing to all the anti-40 folks out there, along with the peeps that actually think .40 S&W is no more potent than 9mm and has fallen by the wayside. I’m sorry you think that way and I’m sorry you had to sell off your $600 pistol for half what you paid.
    I know, we can’t actually have anyone here that fits that description. I’m just spewing rhetoric, like this guy:

https://youtu.be/wzy59wb3JvU

The comments section should be a lesson to this YouTube gun guru.
    That being said. If anyone here does feel like they’re stuck with some .40 ammo or handguns and wanna salvage any of it, run it by me first. I’ll do my best to compensate you for your folly and relieve you of such useless items.
    Going to clean out my in box just in case...

Last edited:

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    One of my favorite handguns ia a Sig P226 in .40.
    It’s built overly well and is a hoot to shoot.
    And I can always find ammo for it, even during hurricanes and gun buying panics.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    But, "with todays bullet technology" a 9mm is just as powerful as a .50. Just sayin'. :)

I carry 9mm or 38 Superb, but nothing wrong with .40.

jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't see a significant advantage to .40 over 9mm but I always keep a .40 in my collection. During Katrina, when my agency's armory was flooded, we were given surplus ammo by DEA. All they had to offer was .40 caliber. My second lesson was after Sandy Hook, when shelves were emptied. The only calibers left were .40 and .357SIG. So I have one .40 with an extra .357SIG just in case.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    We probably sell 10 9mm pistols for every foutay. We sell more .45's than foutays.

We do sell some foutay Glock 22 round extendos, but at about the same 10/1 ratio of the 9mm 33 round extendos.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Thanks to the 40 being dead. I was able to pick up a S&W 3rd Gen 410s new in box for 350 bucks. And upgraded it with new metal parts to replace the sub par ones since it is,the economy version.
    Also picked up 2 new old stock 40 caliber molds as will shootg some cast in it as,well as 2 sets of never used reload dies.
    An internet friend moved from AK to OK. So before he did sent me 2 large flat rate boxes of once fired brass from an ,AK Police range.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to the 40 being dead. I was able to pick up a S&W 3rd Gen 410s new in box for 350 bucks. And upgraded it with new metal parts to replace the sub par ones since it is,the economy version.
    Also picked up 2 new old stock 40 caliber molds as will shootg some cast in it as,well as 2 sets of never used reload dies.
    An internet friend moved from AK to OK. So before he did sent me 2 large flat rate boxes of once fired brass from an ,AK Police range.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Thanks to .40 being *dead*, I got a HK USP Compact .40 for $400 with 4 mags about 4 years ago. I also found .357SIG barrel for $100. It is no worse than shooting a .45 for me and come with me to the range at least once a month. I would bet my life on this solid well engineered piece of German goodness in any environment.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Thanks to .40 being *dead*, I got a HK USP Compact .40 for $400 with 4 mags about 4 years ago. I also found .357SIG barrel for $100. It is no worse than shooting a .45 for me and come with me to the range at least once a month. I would bet my life on this solid well engineered piece of German goodness in any environment.
    How’s the compact handle? I got a full size 9mm and .40 in the early 90’s I think. I know it was the year they came out. I actually paid more for the .40 cal. I think around 600ish. Bought another last year for $350 looking 99.5% new in the box. Crazy. I bet the compact makes for a real decent EDC.

hoggin357

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Iowa,La.
    Nothing wrong with a 40,just every caliber past 9mm beats it in ballistics.

Oh and the fact that 387 rounds were fired from 27 officers at 2 thugs
    and the only thing that was wounded was 4 buildings and a stray cat
    in the alley.Just sayin

Not putting down any LEO ,but they are not trained like any military
    personel.The 40 snaps too much too get back on target and as we all
    know,the faster you fire,the less you hit.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The .40 is not dead but it is slowly dying.
    I think a lot of people want it to die, but they’re too late.
    There are just too many .40 S&W weapons already produced and in service for it to die. Some people are under the impression that every law enforcement agency in the country has gone to 9mm or dropped the .40, but that’s not even close to being true. Watch the ammo shelves. More .40 than .45. It stands a better chance of survival than .45. Before the .40 dies, .45 and 10mm will be gone. Yep. Uh huh. Chances are, if you are a diehard .45 supporter over 9mm and .40 especially, how long will the .45 hold up when you’re gone? I bet you’re not a millennial either...so who will keep that caliber alive?
    Other calibers that will die before the .40:
    357 sig
    50 AE
    The .380 actually came closer to dying in the last decade than the .40...think about it.
    In the last buying panic/ammo shortage, production of .380 ammo took a back seat to 9mm and .40, and the price is still higher than 9mm. Who thinks .380 was always priced higher than 9mm? And with all the micro 9mm pistols hitting the market, how long before shooters turn a blind eye to the .380?
    Does anyone believe there are no major brand name firearms manufacturers still producing pistols in .40 S&W?
    Of all centerfire pistol ammo currently in production, if .40 S&W remains in the top 3 for sales in the US, how is it that shooters think it is dead....or dying. But I guess we’re all dying, huh.
    People rave about bullet technology and how it supercharged the 9mm into a mega potent body dropping phenomenon. Who believes that same bullet technology does not also apply to .40 S&W?
    Last question, who believes that 9mm ammo will out perform .40S&W shot for shot?
    So, I’d like to say for the record, that the .40 S&W is not dying at all. It’s not the most raging caliber out there at the moment for certain, but it’s not dying. It’s not my all time favorite round, but it’s gonna be here and going strong long after we’re all gone. And if you want it to die, you’ll have to say goodbye to a few other familiar calibers first...
    I thought you guys knew hype and BS when you saw it.

Last edited:

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Very well said, Magdump! Couldn't have said it any better myself. The .40 S&W isn't going anywhere.

shadowblade232

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 27, 2017
    New Orleans, LA
    I keep a cheap LE trade-in G22 around for the sole purpose of being able to switch between 40/9/357 as needed. It's a beater, throw it in the go-bag, toss it in the tackle-box, bury it somewhere, etc.

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    That video is 10 months old.... can't find a more recent .40 video? Could it be because popularity of .40 has dwindled to say "dead"? lol I think the whole reason that .40 got replaced by 9 again is because there's no spot you can shoot with .40 that would kill that wouldn't with a 9... I mean you could say a tiny fraction of an inch that is the difference of the width of the bullet. but a head shot with either is a kill, a gut shot with either wont kill, unless either hits the spine, then again same effect. So the idea is you might as well hold more ammo, lighter ammo, and cheaper ammo, to try to take out the CNS with one of your shots. Sure a .40 victim may bleed out faster from a chest shot but there is not a lot of data showing that it will "Stop the Threat" faster. Some people also believe that 9mm guns are more durable because shooting them doesn't wear them down as much, I'm not sure if this is actually true or not, I wouldn't be surprised if gun modern materials can easily withstand 40 pressure. But the main point is placement is more important than power by A LOT, imagine you're trying to knock over pins at the fair, would you rather have a slightly larger ball, or 3 extra throws? I know its not the same thing but its the general logic, you want as many chances to take out a vital structure as possible, and either 9 or 40 will do it if it hits. That being said there's nothing wrong with .40 they work great and they will kill, I just think if you're buying a new handgun today you should consider this along with the cost and availability of ammo.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Nothing wrong with a 40,just every caliber past 9mm beats it in ballistics.

Oh and the fact that 387 rounds were fired from 27 officers at 2 thugs
    and the only thing that was wounded was 4 buildings and a stray cat
    in the alley.Just sayin

Not putting down any LEO ,but they are not trained like any military
    personel.The 40 snaps too much too get back on target and as we all
    know,the faster you fire,the less you hit.

Uh ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rdass623

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    new orleans
    there is nothing wrong with the .40, i carried one as a duty weapon for 15 years. it is a good potent cartrige. when used in a subcompact pistol the recoil can be a bit harsh, but with practice it is manageable. the cost of the .40 is right there with a .45 for the most part, so if you are planning on doing a lot of shooting be readty to shell out a few bucks. right now, i concealed carry and carry a 9mm. the cartriges are less expensive than the .40 or .45 and easier to control.

when all is said and done, you must be the one to choose what is the right caliber for you. if you like the 9mm, .40, or the .45, feel free to do so. all of these cartridges have their advantages and disadvantages. but none of will do anything beneficial if you don't learn how to shoot properly and practice the learned skills. shot placement stops more than caliber.... a shot in the fatal T or heart are going to stop an assailant.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom