Earlier buck movement this year

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Well this may be a record year for our camp in general. So far we are up to 17 or 18 confirmed kills. Even more unique is the bucks that have been killed already has exceeded the previous two seasons already. Now some should have walked but three last week alone where mature bucks. Anyone else seeing more daylight movement early this year? It’s been fun to see. Also our property is over due for some buck culling, because we have tons of crappy racked mature bucks.

What is everyone else seeing?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I am over ten years at my place and it is still the same story. Small bucks through October, few bucks in November, big boys on patrol in December, rape fest Christmas through first week in January.

As many hunts as I have made on my place, it is hundreds, this scenario still plays out the way I laid it out above. I have just started grunting since scrapes are now showing up. I don't remember seeing active scrapes as early as this year though.

I have killed only one mature stud ever, on a common stand. That is a stand that others use in close proximity to the camp site. I grunted him in. All others were from climbers, and going deep!

As for your "crappy racked mature bucks." If you have guys with you that can clearly assess a buck's age, and can determine with relative certainty, the rack has reached it's plateau, then you all should be shooting them on sight. The problem is, are you correct in your assessment? A 4.5 yo buck can still have some promise even if it doesn't measure up to your eyes at the time. Injuries at early age can stunt the growth of the rack, but 5 & 6 years in, could completely change that. Personally, I never cull bucks since I never see any over 5.5 that aren't studs. It would have to be a badly injured deer, or a clearly old decrepit looking one for me to dispatch it.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I am over ten years at my place and it is still the same story. Small bucks through October, few bucks in November, big boys on patrol in December, rape fest Christmas through first week in January.

As many hunts as I have made on my place, it is hundreds, this scenario still plays out the way I laid it out above. I have just started grunting since scrapes are now showing up. I don't remember seeing active scrapes as early as this year though.

I have killed only one mature stud ever, on a common stand. That is a stand that others use in close proximity to the camp site. I grunted him in. All others were from climbers, and going deep!

As for your "crappy racked mature bucks." If you have guys with you that can clearly assess a buck's age, and can determine with relative certainty, the rack has reached it's plateau, then you all should be shooting them on sight. The problem is, are you correct in your assessment? A 4.5 yo buck can still have some promise even if it doesn't measure up to your eyes at the time. Injuries at early age can stunt the growth of the rack, but 5 & 6 years in, could completely change that. Personally, I never cull bucks since I never see any over 5.5 that aren't studs. It would have to be a badly injured deer, or a clearly old decrepit looking one for me to dispatch it.

Our property has been a camp and Timber property for at least 40 years. Our bucks are nocturnal so seeing one that ain’t a spike in the daylight falls somewhere between amazing good luck and persistent hard hunting. And that normally doesn’t happen until midlate December. But we killed 3 good bodied bucks in daylight last week. This has we wondering if we are in for an early rut.

Because of the type property, prenatal and fawn nutrition is a problem. We’ve been working on providing more sources of nutrition in the summer months but what we are often seeing is 3.5-5.5 year olds that are spikes, cow horns, baskets, one sided, and just all around gimpy. This is mostly on camera but sometimes they make it to the skinning rack.

My wife took one Saturday that was pushing 175lbs his antlers were broken but I’m guessing had they not been broken they wouldn’t have amounted to much just from the shape. MDWFP has some free consultations that we may take advantage of this year.

I’m not a big fan of the word cull. I know I used it but every swinging dick with a rifle instantly starts judging yearlings and 2.5 year olds as cull bucks when all they need is a year or two to show their potential. The problem is these bucks that we really could stand to take out are typically no less wiley than the dandies.

As a lay person who reads a bit I feel like we have a higher deer density just due to observation. When you combine that with the heavy pine forest it seems to be a recipe for smaller deer an gimpy antlers.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Anytime you need someone to come give those ''Crappy Rack Bucks''a good flogging,I'm your Huckleberry!

Attachments

• icon_worthless.gif
      icon_worthless.gif
      29.8 KB · Views: 99

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    My wife barely missed hitting a big 10-pointer in the middle of Norwood at 0730 this morning, about a mile from my place. I haven't seen any big bucks during the day yet, just a couple 4-point and one 6-point yearlings, two 2yo 6 points and one small 8-point. The big guys come out on my cameras after shooting time. Was tempted by the little 8-point, but since we're limited to 2 bucks here, I'm hoping for the big ones to start chasing the does during the day.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    My wife barely missed hitting a big 10-pointer in the middle of Norwood at 0730 this morning, about a mile from my place. I haven't seen any big bucks during the day yet, just a couple 4-point and one 6-point yearlings, two 2yo 6 points and one small 8-point. The big guys come out on my cameras after shooting time. Was tempted by the little 8-point, but since we're limited to 2 bucks here, I'm hoping for the big ones to start chasing the does during the day.

I'd triple check again with a tracking dog,Sometimes those missed turns into a little tracking job and Bingo!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    As a lay person who reads a bit I feel like we have a higher deer density just due to observation. When you combine that with the heavy pine forest it seems to be a recipe for smaller deer an gimpy antlers.

Definitely a valid reason for skimpy racks. I tell people all the time, deer don't like pine cones! There is almost no nutritional value for deer (if any at all), in pine trees. You will also notice, as the pine trees start to grow, the undergrowth disappears too. Pine trees are worthless except to build with. Even the grey squirrels taste crappier when they are eating pine nuts.

When I come across a landowner that has pine / hardwood mix, and they tell me they are thinking about clear cutting the hardwood trees for money, I just sigh. Any landowner that has food trees for deer, and leases their property to deer hunters, that cuts down the food source is making a huge mistake! That is, unless they are going to plant food crops in place of the oaks. ;)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

I've driven through your neck of the woods a few times on Hwy 19. The oak groves up there are awesome looking. I say that to myself every time. Pretty country.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Definitely a valid reason for skimpy racks. I tell people all the time, deer don't like pine cones! There is almost no nutritional value for deer (if any at all), in pine trees. You will also notice, as the pine trees start to grow, the undergrowth disappears too. Pine trees are worthless except to build with. Even the grey squirrels taste crappier when they are eating pine nuts.

When I come across a landowner that has pine / hardwood mix, and they tell me they are thinking about clear cutting the hardwood trees for money, I just sigh. Any landowner that has food trees for deer, and leases their property to deer hunters, that cuts down the food source is making a huge mistake! That is, unless they are going to plant food crops in place of the oaks. ;)

Absolutely.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I'd triple check again with a tracking dog,Sometimes those missed turns into a little tracking job and Bingo!

Had a doe I hit with a Shwacker Broadhead leave two tiny drops in 300 yards, but was piled up dead as a wedge when we found her.
    She jumped the string and a broadside shot turned into a heavy quartering-to shot. Arrow entered the ribs and tried to exit the diagonal hindquarter. It’s amazing how quickly they can react.

Top Bottom